IGNORED

Anyone ever seen a ghost?

The dastardly red

23 hours ago, cityboy99 said:

I've had a couple strange experiences first one was when i was about 12 used to stay up with my step-dad watching the wrestling if it was a pay-per-view. When one time we were both sat on the sofa when one of my mums ornaments from up on the shelf decides to throw its self onto the living room floor and i'm not talking just straight down i'm talking to the middle of the room. Now its like 1am so there is no doors/windows open so that was very strange.

Second one was me and my partner got our first place together then about 2 weeks later she gave birth to our first child via c-section, so she has to stay in hospital for a couple days. I leaves the hospital and gets home alone at about 3am and goes into my new born's bedroom to get a bag ready to take to the hospital with me the next day it was when i was going through the draw i heard someone whisper my name. Now i had been awake for almost 30 hours at this point so i could of just been going mad with lack of sleep but my grandad who was a big part of my life passed away only 4 months prior to this.

On another note i do believe that a life is lost for a new one to begin my partner was 5 months into pregnancy for my SON when my grandad died and then was 5 months into pregnancy for my DAUGHTER when my nan died coincidence who knows but strange all the same.

2 hours ago, MrBibs said:

My middle name is Wilfred :mellow:,

My Mum told me why this was. When she was heavily pregnant with me there was a knock at the door.  When she answered it there was nobody there.  My sister (aged 2 at the time) told her that it was Uncle Wilf (Mum's Uncle Wilf was long dead) at the door. 

Coincidentally with handsofclay my Kingswood dad died 15 years ago next week. On the lines of what cityboy99 said, 3 months after my Dad passed away MrsBibs became pregnant with our now City mad daughter.  We'd been together 10 years and had given up on parenthood as wife's medical condition suggested it wasn't going to happen

Six weeks after I was born my paternal Grandfather died. Two days after my brother was born my maternal Grandmother died. Exactly a month after my father died my niece was born.

Out of interest, MrBibs, my father died on May 11th, 2002.

12 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Six weeks after I was born my paternal Grandfather died. Two days after my brother was born my maternal Grandmother died. Exactly a month after my father died my niece was born.

Out of interest, MrBibs, my father died on May 11th, 2002.

Mine was May 10th - Guess we've both got dark days to remember next week then.  Seems like forever ago and also only like yesterday if you know what I mean. Come to think of it my Nan died very shortly after my niece was born. Definitely makes you think.  My Mum's also adamant she saw her own Dad (he died when she was a baby) the day before she married my Dad.

10 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

Mine was May 10th - Guess we've both got dark days to remember next week then.  Seems like forever ago and also only like yesterday if you know what I mean. Come to think of it my Nan died very shortly after my niece was born. Definitely makes you think.  My Mum's also adamant she saw her own Dad (he died when she was a baby) the day before she married my Dad.

My dad died on March 19th 2002, the night before my daughter was born.

23rd March, my cat (really my dad's as the cat loved him and he the cat) passed. A month later, my dad was admitted to Southmead. My old man passed on May 15th. His mother's birthday. We are sure she came for him on that day. We also think the cat passing was the start of his illness.

Coincidentally, my dad's birthday was 16th October. Later that year, myself and Mr Peg acquired a puppy. Turns out pup was born on 16th October. A gift from dad I like to think.

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

23rd March, my cat (really my dad's as the cat loved him and he the cat) passed. A month later, my dad was admitted to Southmead. My old man passed on May 15th. His mother's birthday. We are sure she came for him on that day. We also think the cat passing was the start of his illness.

Coincidentally, my dad's birthday was 16th October. Later that year, myself and Mr Peg acquired a puppy. Turns out pup was born on 16th October. A gift from dad I like to think.

16th October was my grandad`s birthday.

1 hour ago, MrBibs said:

It was on the Friday, May 10th, that my father suddenly took bad after a routine hernia operation at the BRI, had a lung removed and we were effectively told he would die. He lasted until the following early afternoon. So in many ways it is the 10th that is the most significant day because it was the most shocking.

As you say, it does seem like it wasn't long ago and it amazes me that 15 years have now almost passed. However, as you also say, when I think of all the things that have happened since I realise it was a long time ago as so much has occurred that he has missed.

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

My dad died on March 19th 2002, the night before my daughter was born.

March 19th is a sad day for me too as it was when my cat passed last year (I mentioned earlier that it was the day we beat Bolton 6-0, so I am not making this up). I dare say when we were handing out that trouncing you were thinking of your father snd also your daughter's upcoming birthday. And your father died the same year as mine.

Somerset cricket used to have an off-spinner called ghosty.

I think he was an off-spinner ......... could have been mid-paced.

I don't actually care as I hate cricket.

He was real though - ask anyone.

:shocking:

tfj

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:39, Markman said:

Glad you asked :mf_sleep:

So - linked to the above - my old man needed some hardcore - local builder/farmer said he had a load and brought it around - nice stuff with some massive large slabs - about 5ft by 2ft by 2ft - weighed an absolute tonne. 

Tipped the load and yes - you may have guessed it - they were old headstones. Mother goes mad - says she is not having them but my old man said they would make a great path between some sheds (we had a couple of fields) - so we manually (no moral high-ground here about using such items please) lugged these stones and dug holes and laid them face down so you could only see the back (with nowt on it) - Mother was not happy but there you go - it was a nice path!

Few years on we had moved and I was at work - chatting to a friend who had some horses in the field next door to our old house/smallholding - she said "weird going on's out at your old house"  - intrigued I asked and it seems the new owners had been having sightings/hearing knocks etc and had the local Vicar out to Bless the House/Land etc - they were really freaked out

Odd says I - can't think why that would be (I had never told the tale of the sighting we had in Chapel Lane) - and then she said - "why on earth did you use gravestones as a path"

I said - what are you talking about - we laid them face-down they looked just like large slabs of stone and she replied

"they are face up with the names of the deceased on show - they have people coming in at the weekend to take them away"

Well - we sure as hell never turned them over - I asked my mate to ask the owners (discreetly) who said they had not moved them either (it would take several men a full day or two to turn them without a digger)

The answer - no idea but a bit odd

Spookily I was going to ' like ' your story but when I looked again I'd already done it . :blink:

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:16, slartibartfast said:

HOC, you don't live anywhere near Richmond Road in Mangotsfield, do you (I know you like the Mangos) I lived there in the 80's and that whole rank had strange goings on, not so much ghostly apparitions as poltergeist activity ! Now I never sensed anything but my Mrs and kids did. I used to work nights and often she would be awakened by a presence BUT she refused to open her eyes, she says she just knew she would see something. 

The house on the end of the rank was in the process of being rebuilt after a fire. My eldest lad used to muck around in the site with his mates UNTIL one day they were attacked by a hail of stones and pebbles from NOWHERE !. A lot of the residents have had exorcisms (true).

The clincher for me  (though, as I say,I never saw or felt anything myself) was my two girls used to play in their bedroom and were always being told to tidy up. This day there was usual mess and the usual scolding from the Mrs. They as usual took no notice and carried on playing until one of them suddenly noticed that ALL the clothes  suddenly appeared in neat piles on their bed !! 

That's  the ghost of Mary Poppins .

Recently we were having guests to stay at Isewater Acres , the lady rang me up to say that they were going to be late .

I said to Mrs I that I 'saw' our guest and that she would be tall, slim and with curly grey hair .

Mrs I went a bit pale when the she answered the door to someone who fitted that exact description .

I am a qualified therapist and during one session with a man in his fifties I kept ' seeing ' a black lurcher dog .I'm not an expert but this colour of Lurcher I'd never seen before. This image was insistent, so much so that at the end of the hour I felt obliged to tell him about it .

The guy was shocked but explained to me that it was his dog who had passed away two weeks before his appointment.

I have other stories that confirm to me that ,as human beings, we have an enormous amount to learn about where we fit into this incredible universe .

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Recently we were having guests to stay at Isewater Acres , the lady rang me up to say that they were going to be late .

I said to Mrs I that I 'saw' our guest and that she would be tall, slim and with curly grey hair .

Mrs I went a bit pale when the she answered the door to someone who fitted that exact description .

I am a qualified therapist and during one session with a man in his fifties I kept ' seeing ' a black lurcher dog .I'm not an expert but this colour of Lurcher I'd never seen before. This image was insistent, so much so that at the end of the hour I felt obliged to tell him about it .

The guy was shocked but explained to me that it was his dog who had passed away two weeks before his appointment.

I have other stories that confirm to me that ,as human beings, we have an enormous amount to learn about where we fit into this incredible universe .

Your final sentence is spot on. With what I have experienced, especially watching and hearing the antics of my then recently deceased cat last year, has made me reappraise my views on life and death and quite frankly I now find it too mind blowing to contemplate properly.

I'm a total sceptic when it comes to this kind of stuff but i do have one story to tell, make of it what you will.

I used to work for South Glos council some years back. The department i was in used part of an old building in Yate for storage and a small workshop. This building was also used as a community space etc. The place in question is called Ridgewood Community Centre, it sits just between Yate and Chipping Sodbury. It used to be a Victorian workhouse for the destitute. Plenty of the staff there said about noises, weird smells and sensations all over the site, the usual sort thing for somewhere "haunted".

Well one day I'm walking through the corridors carrying a box heading for the workshop. It's a fine summers day and a lot of the doors had been propped open to let a little breeze through. As i walked past one such door which lead to a small kitchen area, it slammed shut with such force the noise made me jump a mile and drop the box. I look at the door and then open it but can't see the little wedge it was propped open with. It was only once i spotted it, a few feet away to the side of the door inside the room and let go of the door it dawned on me it was a bit weird. I let go of the door to grab the wedge and the door was on one of those arms that closes it automatically after you walk through it. It slowly started to shut. Curious, i pulled it open again and attempted to slam it shut, it would not move any quicker than the arm allowed. I tried a few times, slamming it, pushing it hard but it would not shut any quicker. So even if a draft could of been responsible and the wedge slipped out, how did the door slam so hard and why was the wedge feet away on the inside of the room?

Well that's it. Not massively spooky but if a door like that slams in an old Victorian workhouse and you can't replicate it, what else are you supposed to think?

I used to work as a farmhand on Gatcombe Farm in Long Ashton, on the Weston Road.

The farmer built a farm shop, restaurant and butchery on some land in the middle of the farm (I believe it's been re-named the Greedy Goose restaurant now).

During the build Roman Remains were discovered. Being money tight farmers who care not for rules and regulations, the build carried on regardless, although we did allow Bristol Uni to come and have a look/take some artifacts, which they did.

Anyways, people who used to work in the restaurant, including my Dad (chef) said of spooky goings on. My Dad, who'd go in alone early and open up, claimed on 2 occasions that he saw someone or something in the kitchen and that on one occasion something flew across the kitchen with no reasonable explanation.

Another lady who used to work there claims she saw a young Mediterranean looking girl dressed all white one morning, a description fitting the characteristics of ancient Roman nobility in a toga perhaps.

Whatever you make of said stories, lots of coincidences from genuinely honest people with no reason to lie (my Dad is a massive sceptic on these sorts of things too). Whilst I never experienced anything in the time I worked there, I never liked being alone in the restaurant in the dark early hours of the winter period.

Do white horses count as ghosts?

As a boy my pals and I used play in the local woods. There was steep sandy bank running through the woods with steps leading up the bank.

Between the steps and a small river there was a swampy area with decking to walkover the boggy ground about 200 yards across.

Two of us were sitting at the top of the steps just hanging around when we both saw a white horse galloping along the soft ground from our right. It was unbridled and going at full gallop with its tail flowing.

Apart from a being a little surprised we thought little of it - until a bit later we went down the steps to cross the decking to go home and saw that there were no hoof prints at all............considering the earth was damp that was even more surprising.

We concluded that it must have been a ghost..................

I recently read a good book by Peter Ackroyd - The English Ghost. It is a collection of historical first hand accounts of ghosts dating back to about the 17th century. There are some really compelling examples where many separate accounts of the same experiences are recorded.

Archived