IGNORED

Flint linked to West ham and West Brom

Judda

Just now, Fordy62 said:

And, in fairness, still does. 

Who'd want to be an owner?

it does, but if you've got it, spend it. no point sitting on sacks of money, provided your not putting the club under financial pressure by splashing out then you have to speculate now and again. Hoping Flint stays, but much like everyone else, wouldn't begrudge him stepping up the ladder. Whether he stays or goes his status at AG is cemented forever. 

10 minutes ago, Malago said:

I would imagine Swindle will be due 20% of the profit we make on his sale.  Just saying.

Make him stay another year then by which time they will cease to exist. Or do what spurs did with Southampton for Bale and offer a bit of cash when the tax man comes calling to wipe it off the contract. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Sorry, I was suggesting that people might be guilty of over estimating his defensive abilities because he's good up the other end, which of course ups his value.

Look, I'm not on a downer on Flinty, I'm really not, I love the bloke and I'd like him to stay. But 8m just seems a bit silly. 

I would make it £8m because we don't need the money and PL clubs have cash to burn, not because Flint is necessarily worth that in his own right. The circumstances as well as the player dictate the asking price.

I tend to agree that he makes mistakes, but "error prone" suggests he makes more than others. I'm not sure I would go that far.

35 minutes ago, petehinton said:

As others have said - blinded by his personality and antics off the pitch. He's 27.

To reject anything north of £6m would be lidicrous.

He'll depleat in value massively after this season due to age. Remember when we rejected millions for Maynard and Marvin Elliott...? Need to learn from our mistakes. 

Sell him for £6m+ and we have Magnusson to slot straight into his place. 

I think that's a key point at the end there - this is a position where we have a well regarded back up option, though you'd still want to see a replacement. Although we'd all be sad to see him go, it wouldn't necessarily be catastrophic to the team.

Replacing Tammy is a much harder prospect.

45 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I tend to agree that he makes mistakes, but "error prone" suggests he makes more than others. I'm not sure I would go that far.

If you're the last man in line, you get the blame for the goal - not the guy upfield who gave the ball away, not the attackers and midfielders who didn't track back or the full-backs who are caught out of position. 

Flinty is often our last line of defence hence he gets unfairly blamed for a lot of team mistakes. Especially by people who only watch the goal highlights.

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you're the last man in line, you get the blame for the goal - not the guy upfield who gave the ball away, not the attackers and midfielders who didn't track back or the full-backs who are caught out of position. 

Flinty is often our last line of defence hence he gets unfairly blamed for a lot of team mistakes. Especially by people who only watch the goal highlights.

Interesting comments about highlights.

Even in the Brighton match there were a couple of times their players seem to find a pile of space in our box, and put headers just wide. If they had gone in, and highlights were all we had, then posters would have made comments about our back line not concentrating etc.

Having watched the whole match, the context was more obvious that dozens of chances were snuffed out and Flint was rightly the MoM. I like seeing the highlights, but they can provide a hugely distorted picture of the game, and of players contributions.

What has to be remembered is that there will be many players throughout Europe & the world that will be out of contract & will be available for nothing in theory & Premier League clubs will be at the forefront of the best of those that are available due to reputation & the wages they are willing & able to pay.

£5m or so on an unproven Premier League defender or nothing on a European international?

The Premier League clubs scouting is meticulous & they will be aware of everyone who is available & who has done what & where.

Will Flint really be an option for a Premier League club? Or is it more likely that a Championship club who aren't able to attract anyone they want will make a move for someone who is proven at this level?

There will be many bigger clubs than us in The Championship next season & who can pay considerably more than what we are willing to pay along with attracting more supporters & having a better chance of promotion to The Premier League.

At the end of the day, a step up in potential is a step up from being in a relegation battle & will probably offer an improvement on personal terms that are currently available.

We weren't able to turn Villa down last year, could we really refuse a deal from Villa, Wolves, Wednesday & Derby who have the potential to pay silly fees & wages? And then there's Norwich, Sunderland, Leeds & whoever else comes down that are able to offer better wages & chances of promotion than we currently can.

We are an improving club but we still aren't in a position to compete realistically with those clubs named above so even an offer from any of those clubs could be tempting for a player that wants to improve.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Agreed.  I just don't think he is the quality centre half we need if we are going for promotion.  Someone younger, more mobile, and less error prone.  Personally would like to see Magnusson or Moore be the centre half in a City promotion team.

The problem is that we would benefit from having more pace at the back, but as soon as a team plays a 6ft 6in target man (like Preston) we would be at a huge disadvantage. We might also miss his goals. I trust Johnson's judgement.  It is a huge step up for Zac or Taylor-Moore at their tender age so we might need an experienced campaigner to help and support them. JohnTerry? :mf_sleep:

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Anyway, Flint deserves a move to the Prem, he has had 2 years of relegation struggles, he has battled for us so well, and given a huge amount to our club being a major part of our wonderful L1 total winning side (seems a lifetime ago after the dross of the last 2 seasons) . If an offer comes in we should wish him well. Most continually improved player I have ever seen at BCFC. 

2 years of battling relegation with him in the team. Sometimes I do think is he as good as we think he is or our we a little blinded by his personality? 

Just now, Up The City! said:

2 years of battling relegation with him in the team. Sometimes I do think is he as good as we think he is or our we a little blinded by his personality? 

Well I don't think PL teams are interested based on his personality.

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Only time will tell... we'll know how much we miss him when he's gone...

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Sell him for £6m+ and we have Magnusson to slot straight into his place. 

Not sure about this.

Not sure at all about a Wright/Magnusson CB partnership, either.

Flint wins around 80% of his headers in the box, when games get late on and the opposition is behind or sense a win from a drawing position, they often tend to go long, we struggled to clear our lines then post Jamie McCombe and pre Flint when sides do this and a Wright/Magnusson partnership would not definitely solve this issue.

If he leaves we will need another Flint type in the squad and that definitely isn't Magnusson or Taylor Moore.

Got to be our best centre back since Shaun Taylor.

Reminds me of him in so many ways. Both came to us  from lower league teams:shifty:

Both would put there body on the line. Neither were the greatest footballer.

As much as MCcombe was loved I always thought for a 6 and a half footer he was to nice.

The number of times I thought go through him let him know your there. I sighed and thought if that was Taylor well.

Anyway there have been a number of centre backs that have played in the top flight with  limited skills. Ok not so many today but most for Liverpool and Man C  have been crap. Our man could be up there with Gordon MCqueen Jim Holton Steve Bould and many others.

Ok he will not make that level but backs to the wall in the last 5 mins can you think of another player you'd replace him with?

No. Hope he's here next season but if not good luck man  you will always be remembered.

On 06/05/2017 at 17:34, GrahamC said:

Not sure about this.

Not sure at all about a Wright/Magnusson CB partnership, either.

Flint wins around 80% of his headers in the box, when games get late on and the opposition is behind or sense a win from a drawing position, they often tend to go long, we struggled to clear our lines then post Jamie McCombe and pre Flint when sides do this and a Wright/Magnusson partnership would not definitely solve this issue.

If he leaves we will need another Flint type in the squad and that definitely isn't Magnusson or Taylor Moore.

Great Post

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am not sure how a player can disguise a bad performance with their personality, that's a new one for me. I know of 5 clubs in our league who would like to sign him....

Who are the five? And how do you know this? Genuinely interested BW, not having a pop...

Archived