IGNORED

Flint linked to West ham and West Brom

Judda

Just now, TheCulturalBomb said:

Wouldn't begrudge him a move to the Premier League if the money is right for him and us, I would wish him all the best... But selling him to a Championship rival would be a continuation of shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Innit. £5m please...

4 minutes ago, Judda said:

Apologies if this is already done.

Just saw it in the BBC gossip section. Apparently only the sun though...

Hope he doesn't go but wouldn't begrudge him a premiership club...

Not surprising really.  How old is Flint now - 27?  Time is running out if he is to play at a higher level and/or get a big payday.  Strikes me that the Baggies would be a good fit for him, but I would hate to lose him and he would be very difficult to replace.  His passion, loyalty and commitment - and those goals! - have been behind our success in recent years.  Put simply, I think he has been the root of our success on the field and for me he is up there with the City greats.

I'd like to think Flint will remain with us forever. He's already a city icon and could become a legend if he hangs around for a little while more, if we're serious about progressing we can't take out arguably our most important team member  

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd like to think Flint will remain with us forever. He's already a city icon and could become a legend if he hangs around for a little while more, if we're serious about progressing we can't take out arguably our most important team member  

He's Mr Bristol City. He's not long signed an extension and his best mate also plays here.

It would take a lot of money to make him leave. Both for us and him. Probably over £5m.

I like Flint but I would expect a London based club playing in front of 60k every week to be buying a higher class of defender. West Brom seems a more likely fit. He wouldn't even have to move if he didn't want to.

Heart hope he stays, head says it'll be hard to hold onto him this time around. 

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Surely wishful thinking in the modern footballing world.  If the price is right I say get the deal done early so there's time to get a solid replacement. 

Still got 3 years left on contract? Goal scoring centre half. Nothing short of £8m for me. We seem to maximise our fees coming in nowadays so i would hope we get atleast this much, nomatter how limited anyone may think Flint is. Going rate is the going rate!

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

He's Mr Bristol City. He's not long signed an extension and his best mate also plays here.

It would take a lot of money to make him leave. Both for us and him. Probably over £5m.

You love City, I love City, we all love City. But if someone offered to double or treble your wages to play for another club for the few short years of your remaining professional career, I suspect most of us would do it.

In the age of the multi-billion pound TV deal, a PL club can easily make an offer neither he or the club could refuse.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

If the club are serious about bringing the kids through, then players have to leave when the price is right.

We have Magnusson, Moore, and Vyner so not as if we are short on options.

He'll be missed if he goes, but it'll have to be 5m+.

Best of luck to him if he gets a big pay day - he's one of the few that will have actually earned it.

I'd be holding out for £8m minimum based on the remaining time on his contract, and how little £5m is to PL clubs these days! Plus we don't need to sell. But I agree with your broad point.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

When this rumour was on here before quite a few seemed to be happy with getting 5 million for him. Well James Chester went to Hull for 8 million. And now the money has got even more crazy in this league and Flint is tied down to a long term contract. 12 million minimum I reckon. 

James Chester joined Hull for £300k, it was West Brom that paid £8m for him (then they sold him at a loss to Villa).

As for Flint, those who think he owes us anything or will stick around if the opportunity to double his wages and play in The Prem arises are delusional.

I think tomorrow will be thanks and cheerio.

I think Flint will go if a high enough offer comes in (£8m+?) since as well as Bailey Wright we have Magners and also Taylor Moore coming through so we're not short of cover there. The money could be spent on full backs and/or a Tammy replacement.

Bailey Wright could play in his preferred position meaning Mags comes back in. It wouldn't be the end of the world should we lose him. I'd be over the moon for him if he managed to get a prem team, if it's for another championship team those feeling might not be so nice. Whatever happens he'll always get a warm welcome from myself. Love the guy and hope he says but as others have said, 27 years old now and this (provided we don't get promoted) could be his last chance at having a crack in the prem. We can't hold him back from that. We've more than got our 300 grands worth. 

Ok... I'm going to say it...

He's quite error prone. Although he's more than capable of a brilliant game, see Brighton away... I think if we get an offer of anywhere near 5m, we should snap their hands off. 

If you looked at goals conceded this season and who's fault they were, I suspect you'd be on double figures for Flinty. 

Dont get me wrong, I love him, I'm just saying he doesn't strike me as being consist enough to play Prem. 

I was watching West Ham last night and thinking they've got a track record of buying championship players and them improving. Cresswell, Byram and Antonio. Granted they were all younger but I think Flint can still get better if you put him in that environment. They seem to like at least one flat out defender and James Collins isn't getting any younger. He'd also be an option on set pieces for them with decent delivery from Lanzini. 

It's a tough one for me because when we struggle he looks bang average with a mistake in him. The last two months he's looked the best defender in the league. I would only sell if it was a premier league club and I think Flint would stay even if a "bigger" championship club came on for him at least for another year. If it's 5-7m from a premier league club then I'd leave it up to him. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Ok... I'm going to say it...

He's quite error prone. Although he's more than capable of a brilliant game, see Brighton away... I think if we get an offer of anywhere near 5m, we should snap their hands off. 

If you looked at goals conceded this season and who's fault they were, I suspect you'd be on double figures for Flinty. 

Dont get me wrong, I love him, I'm just saying he doesn't strike me as being consist enough to play Prem. 

He's constantly proving people wrong every season. Some of us were worried he wouldn't make the step up to the Championship but he's shone through becoming one of the best and most dangerous central defenders in the division.

If Harry Maguire can do it, I've got no doubts about Flint making the step up.

Archived