IGNORED

Zulus

42nite

5 minutes ago, reddoh said:

No he had a lot of Welsh helping him look at the vc's and awards

So the film would have you believe. 

However in 1879 the 24th Foot was not a Welsh regiment, but the 2nd Warwickshire. Its main recruiting centre was Birmingham. The regimental song was A Warwickshire Lad, not Men Of Harlech.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

So the film would have you believe. 

However in 1879 the 24th Foot was not a Welsh regiment, but the 2nd Warwickshire. Its main recruiting centre was Birmingham. The regimental song was A Warwickshire Lad, not Men Of Harlech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Wales_Borderers

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

The 24th was based in Brecon, but at the time of Rorke's Drift it was the 2nd Warwickshire NOT the South Wales Borderers. The regiment took on that title in 1881.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_(1964_film)

Whilst I have read exactly the same on wiki I would like to point out history is written by the victors so most of history is probably incorrect.

Just now, reddoh said:

Whilst I have read exactly the same on wiki I would like to point out history is written by the victors so most of history is probably incorrect.

The regimental museum in Brecon is worth a visit if you find yourself in that area. Chock full of Zulu War memorabilia.

To be fair to the Taffs, they do have a board explaining that the regiment wasn't called the South Wales Borderers at the time, and it mainly recruited from the West Midlands then.

Zulu! is a great film, but I feel a bit sorry for Pvt Hook. In real life he was a teetotaller!

6 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I never did trust those victors!

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The regimental museum in Brecon is worth a visit if you find yourself in that area. Chock full of Zulu War memorabilia.

To be fair to the Taffs, they do have a board explaining that the regiment wasn't called the South Wales Borderers at the time, and it mainly recruited from the West Midlands then.

Zulu! is a great film, but I feel a bit sorry for Pvt Hook. In real life he was a teetotaller!

The infamous Safari Boy, Mark Hook, was a descendant!

Just been down to the Weston Sea Front @ Weatherspoons and plenty of Zulus sitting inside and outside, heavily intoxicated, some looking scary but some also dressed as fairies wielding wonds not spears.

Still some not too pleasant fellas lurking around, so could be interesting tonight as hardly a noticeable police presence in the area.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've read that about Hook. He was an entirely respectable teetotaller and his descendants didn't like the portrayal of him in the film as a violent drunk who was always being locked up.

It must have just been the name; Hooky does sound like a dodgy name.

5 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I love a slow news day topic as much as the next person, but I'm going to be a petty spoilsport and say this should be in the non-football section. Shame on you all. :disapointed2se:

The Zulus will be coming over Redcliffe Hill on their way to Ashton Gate tomorrow to witness their side take a beating!

Now it's football related.   ;)

Archived