IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Conference Player

Chairman Mao

Confidence player*

Look, he's an okay squad player and shows glimpses of quality i.e. that surging run forward and shot narrowly wide. However he made a few awful passes amongst that and his positioning when Birmingham attacked was school boy stuff. 

I like Joe as a lad, he's certainly a confidence player but I think we seriously need to upgrade on both our full backs if we want to push on. Seems fairly obvious to me where our weakest points need addressing.

Like many many games this season he just didn't put the effort in. It's a shame as I really want to like Bryan but his attitude on the pitch stinks. A real smug arrogance about him which one of my mates pointed out a long time ago.

The amount of times you'll see him do things like not fully attempt to keep a ball in play is bizarre. Then you had it yesterday where he had the chance to whip the ball across goal with players pouring in, instead shifts it onto his right and blasts 20 foot over. Greed. 

At Brentford he was having an absolute shocker, their fans were mocking him every time the ball went near him. Then at 2-0 down and after hitting his third cross in a row into the stands, he had a big grin on his face and seemed to find the whole thing very amusing.

Ok, rather than focusing on his poorer performances this season, how about thinking about the great performances he has had, and a few memorable goals (Swindon comes to mind).  Surely that gives enough to build on.  He is clearly not lacking in talent, but someone needs to help him find confidence and consistency. 

At least no one has compared him to our last home-grown left back, Craig Woodman.  How he has managed a 15 year career in football with nearly 500 appearances absolutely baffles me.

Bryan at times looks quality but 9 times out of 10 this season has been poor.

Shocking positioning.

Crossing has become awful, was excellent in league one.

Tackling is too light weight.

Yes he's bristol born and a nice lad but need a proper first team left back as too often we are being targeted down the flanks.

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Wasn't particularly impressed either with his performance or his petulance; throwing the ball at the linesman because he didn't agree with his decision was ridiculous behaviour. 

To be fair, the petulance was uncharacteristic of Joe. 

(And if I played with that Mr Magoo officiating, I'd have thrown a lot more than the ball! :laughcont: )

The good thing with his performance was that he did make runs in the second half and carried the ball forward. The bad thing was he then made a series of bad decisions on what to do with it.

In the first half, he was playing that ridiculous sidehline-hugging game, trying to play in a triangle with Korey and Patterson. 

They've done that before, there's no space and it's sooooo easy for an opponent to cut out such an attack.

A good coach would have cut that out yonks ago. When City do it, we invariably lose loads of possession. 

Too comfortable here, life too easy? Gone stale needs a new challenge I think. He's recently seen one of his best mates Wes move quite some distance away, now is set to lose another (Jamal Ford Robinson, Bristol rugby player bound for Northampton).

Has he the ambition to break away himself and make a move? Or is he seemingly doing the loyalty thing and staying with us, as that's really all he knows except for a short loan spell at Plymouth? Maybe he hasn't got enough of that ruthless competitive streak within him that's required. 

He certainly is not a Conference player!

He wasn't great Sunday, think most would agree but he;'s not been too bad this season. One of many that we have IMO, a 6 or a 7 out of 10 sort of player- his final ball was definitely lacking Sunday to say the least. Doesn't help that he's been played in several different positions this season either- talking the big picture now, not Sunday!

Get off Joe's back, I hear a lot of bad mouthing towards him from the stands, fact is he's 23 and is now learning to be a left back when he's been a winger most of his life, kid has talent, and a brain, anyone who knows football can see this, they can also see he's lacking in confidence, we should get behind our young home grown players, not tell them they're shite!

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He wasn't great Sunday, think most would agree but he;'s not been too bad this season. One of many that we have IMO, a 6 or a 7 out of 10 sort of player- his final ball was definitely lacking Sunday to say the least. Doesn't help that he's been played in several different positions this season either- talking the big picture now, not Sunday!

He's been poor for a decent 80% of this season, and furthermore he has played at left back for the majority of the second half of the season.

Looking at the big picture he isn't offering us anything defensively or offensively and has consistently been targeted by the other team as our weakness. 

3 hours ago, Katsou87 said:

Get off Joe's back, I hear a lot of bad mouthing towards him from the stands, fact is he's 23 and is now learning to be a left back when he's been a winger most of his life, kid has talent, and a brain, anyone who knows football can see this, they can also see he's lacking in confidence, we should get behind our young home grown players, not tell them they're shite!

So do you think that on a discussion forum, there should be no negative comments?

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think this is the issue, I wish he was consistently a 7 out of 10 player.

Instead we get a 5 out of 10 (about 80% of the time this season) due to an inability to do the basics, and yet he was seemingly undroppable

It seems to me that bred complacency in him, which is probably fuelling the whinging in the crowd someone else mentioned. Smirking when it's not going well and not tracking back at full pace don't help either!

42 minutes ago, Redfield red said:

I think this is the issue, I wish he was consistently a 7 out of 10 player.

Instead we get a 5 out of 10 (about 80% of the time this season) due to an inability to do the basics, and yet he was seemingly undroppable

It seems to me that bred complacency in him, which is probably fuelling the whinging in the crowd someone else mentioned. Smirking when it's not going well and not tracking back at full pace don't help either!

Lee couldn't drop Joe, because Joe's dad was fixing Lee's dad (Gary); Steve couldn't fire Lee, because Lee's dad, Gary, was having his heart fixed by Joe's dad, and Steve fired Lee's dad, Gary, before, because Gary couldn't fix Steve's team, which broke Gary - Lee's dad's - heart. And Steve's.

It's all Gary's fault. Or Steve's.

On 07/05/2017 at 20:00, joeyb said:

• Giefer - just truly shocking, not a lot else to say there.

if you're referring to his kicking on Sunday, I'm in total agreement.

if you're referring to his shot saving and general handling then I'm in total disagreement.  The save early doors was top notch, at full stretch.  He did get caught out by a fantastic cross from Shotton, I accept.  But otherwise it was as solid a (non-kicking) display I've seen from him.

Archived