IGNORED

Inept

CTRed

Just now, WTFiGO!?! said:

You'll be lucky to construct a squad at City of such virtue.

Average footballers on that money, who dug in just when they needed to and achieved their mission, in the end, in keeping us up.

I'm a tad concerned loyal football supporters haven't twigged on yet that footballers are largely mercenaries, esp remembering our last relegation team.  

It's highly superficial - enjoy the glory when we win - go home to the lovely home and gorgeous wife when we lose.  

I loved some of our icons in the past - Tin Man, Murray - Colin Cramb.  I liked Louis Carey and Bradley Orr - lads who gave a shit!    

Football's been commercially whored and is cynical now but even in the good old days City teams failed to turn up at times.  

I don't understand why this isn't already understood.  I find the idolism of 'the players' cringe, and have done for about a decade. We are all guilty for buying into it.  

These are not local lads made good, they are career athletes.  

Football is in a bad state, as is wider society.

I must admit that you are right that very few players care, which is what I find really frustrating. An extreme example is Ronaldo, apparently the first on the training pitch, and the last to leave, and it is no surprise hebecomes the best player in the world..  Not in the same league, but imagine what Tomlin could have done for us if he actually cared.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As good as Frankie's .

I don't think we should lay into Giefer too much tonight because he hasn't been in the team recently and secondly it's probably his last performance in a City shirt.

Embarrassing Major

In first half he kicked two balls out of play one after another one right , one left , by about twenty yards !!!

And in second half passed a ball out to a Birmingham player nearly gifting them a goal

Irrelevant whether he's been playing or not - just dreadful technique from a professional

Flint and Bailey Wright were at least two that 'had words' with him

Just now, Robbored said:

What about them?    

Im sure the massive Brum following enjoyed the game.

Playing Troll again are we

As you know only too well - The Joker was talking about our players and our fans

but unless you're that dim , you know that and playing pathetic Troll again

Not for the first time we were out thought today. Lumping balls up to Taylor isn't going to beat Bristol Manor Farm, let alone Birmingham. Midfield was very poor today, Smith was very poor in particular. Though the thing that got me most today was crosses, especially after Djuric came on, put the ball in there, the lads half a building tall, he WILL have a chance, so just stick it in there properly! Bryan, COD, Brownhill and Pato all guilty there. I think sometimes our younger players (even with the amount of games one or two have under their belts) just forget to keep to basics when the going gets tough, and then when that doesn't work, go for route one desperation. LJ needs to address that as much as he needs to address squad improvement.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Playing Troll again are we

As you know only too well - The Joker was talking about our players and our fans

but unless you're that dim , you know that and playing pathetic Troll again

Of the 25k at AG today how many were Brummie fans? I'd guess around 5k. 

1 minute ago, Cider_boy said:

I must admit that you are right that very few players care, which is what I find really frustrating. An extreme example is Ronaldo, apparently the first on the training pitch, and the last to leave, and it is no surprise hebecomes the best player in the world..  Not in the same league, but imagine what Tomlin could have done for us if he actually cared.

That last relegation side really broke my footballing heart.

I was too much of a lazy, fat piss head myself to even carve out an amateur career (so who am I to judge? - also had confidence issues) I had a good touch and read the game well.  However, combining a small fraction of Lee Tomlin's ability with the attitude and love of football that some of my acquaintances had and you'd have a fantastic player.  

There's something in the professional industry, the money and ego, that undermines it all.

I knew the gf of part of that relegation side and I was respectfully told to go elsewhere and watch someone else when I dared suggest his performances were a disgrace to the football club - which they were.

The other thing is, this isn't just a City problem.

These sort of games usually go this way. You can't read too much into it. One team is desperate to win and they do.

Are fans of Brentford and Ipswich thinking their entire squad should be sacked after losing today? Or Notts County or Doncaster losing to the 22nd and 23rd teams yesterday. What about QPR, 4-0 losers at Norwich. It happens. Get over it. We all start level on 0 points next season.

What I find amazing with some fans analysis is just how little they ever focus on, or give credit to the opposition.

Yes, we lacked creativity today, but Birmingham's play had a lot to do with that.

They crowded the centre mid and closed down quickly early on, looked to catch us on the break over the top several times, especially vs. Flint - from which they scored, then were happy to sit back, time-waste and break up the play. Players went down time and again with any opportunity. The keeper must have wasted 3 minutes over goal kicks.

They were organised and professional. Sat back with 10 men, 2 solid lines of 4, behind the ball. People around me lambasted some of the players today, yes, there is always criticism due, but 9 out 10 times they had 2 men on every player when we attacked. We know we are weakest when we have to 'break down' teams, especially at home, they were clever today. 

We threw the kitchen sink at them and they stood up, they had their lives to fight for. 

For me, that was one of those "wasn't our day" games, but we had a go, we were all over them second half and it's hard to play against a wall, so I can't see where some of the criticism comes from.

But for their goal, I can't really remember any other times I honestly thought they'd score again.

6 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

These sort of games usually go this way. You can't read too much into it. One team is desperate to win and they do.

Are fans of Brentford and Ipswich thinking their entire squad should be sacked after losing today? Or Notts County or Doncaster losing to the 22nd and 23rd teams yesterday. What about QPR, 4-0 losers at Norwich. It happens. Get over it. We all start level on 0 points next season.

Personally couldn't care what other teams do

We , those players , had not IMHO earnt the right to don flip flops today - 'we've avoisded relegation , that will do' seemed to be the attitude

They should have been looking to show a full house that they're better than their overall performance this season and why they should be starting in the first line up next season

But then again perhaps they showed just why we more than flirted with relegation

1 hour ago, Cider_boy said:

Which is why none of the players should be paid this weeks wage. They are frankly all a disgrace to the shirt!

Over the top as usual, not great first half , but much better second and Birmingham were fortunate to hold as Harry said , difficult scenario but decent atmosphere in the second half and to be fair the players kept going to the end. 

Been a stressful season , glad of a break , hope we can bring in three or four  quality signings.

I am not amazed by some fans' knee jerk reactions.

Birmingham bullied us off the ball. 

We don't seem to be able to deal with teams like that.

Look how many of their players were booked. One was even booked for simulation. Their keeper was even booked for time wasting, eventually. But far too late.

They controlled the referee. I lost count of how many times our players were man handled out of the way which the ref simply ignored yet he blew up for the most innocuous of challenges.

I thought they were very cynical.

He simply lost control of the match and he's meant to be a Premier League ref.

Bryan got booked clearly out of frustration as there was nothing in his prior challenge.

All in all this contributed to a very disjointed match.

I thought if we got a goal then they would've crumbled. 

Overall I was disappointed that we couldn't overcome these Cardiff tactics.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We looked a dreadful , poor side today , not even just disinterested , no ideas , no urgency , some shocking techniques on show , extremely poor 

Without some successful buisness in transfer market in Summer we may have real problems 

Accept it was a final game but not sure ,based on that showing there's a single player out there today that I'd like to see as a regular next year !!

Lets hope it was just a poor show in more ways than one - We certainly lack characters and lack even a single leader on the pitch - would be something I'd be addressing in the summer

We need a On pitch leader

thought exactly the same driving home, most of those players today should not sit too comfortably on their sun loungers.

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

I am not amazed by some fans' knee jerk reactions.

Birmingham bullied us off the ball. 

We don't seem to be able to deal with teams like that.

Look how many of their players were booked. One was even booked for simulation. Their keeper was even booked for time wasting, eventually. But far too late.

They controlled the referee. I lost count of how many times our players were man handled out of the way which the ref simply ignored yet he blew up for the most innocuous of challenges.

I thought they were very cynical.

He simply lost control of the match and he's meant to be a Premier League ref.

Bryan got booked clearly out of frustration as there was nothing in his prior challenge.

All in all this contributed to a very disjointed match.

I thought if we got a goal then they would've crumbled. 

Overall I was disappointed that we couldn't overcome these Cardiff tactics.

Indeed.

I don't think 'Arry and Steve deserve much credit for keeping Brum up.

It was their expert coaching by Tom Daley and the Birmingham Repetory Theatre :grr:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure about 'superb stops' description personally ,though those in SS may be able to comment better , and I agree about the ten in front of him !!!

they were some great stops, but his distribution is awful with the whole pitch to aim at how he keeps missing it is a mystery to me.

Just now, pillred said:

they were some great stops, but his distribution is awful with the whole pitch to aim at how he keeps missing it is a mystery to me.

There was a diving one very early - 2nd or third min which I only had side on view of 

And from a cross shot , again first half which I thought pretty routine for a pro keeper

From some comments I've forgotten others ?

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a professional footballer you would think Giefer might be able to keep the ball on the pitch

Possibly the worst distribution from a keeper I've ever seen 

Awful distribution and I fear every time he comes out to catch or punch 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

There was a diving one very early - 2nd or third min which I only had side on view of 

And from a cross shot , again first half which I thought pretty routine for a pro keeper

sometimes keepers only have to make one worldy to earn their keep, lots of saves me and you could stop well maybe, its just a shame he cant kick though, if he could people would say he wouldn't be playing for us.

Just now, pillred said:

sometimes keepers only have to make one worldy to earn their keep, lots of saves me and you could stop well maybe, its just a shame he cant kick though, if he could people would say he wouldn't be playing for us.

Something about him - and his whole persona - doesn't fill me with any confidence and going by verbal exchanges between him Flinty and BW today I'm not sure I'm the only one

Unfortunately FF has the same habit of making me nervy but recently has looked far more assured

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

What about them?    

Im sure the massive Brum following enjoyed the game.

You have obviously never heard of the saying..Charity begins at home...a person's first responsibility is for the needs of their own family and friends,or in this case club and supporters.

Now FO back under your bridge Troll.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Giefer's kicking was poor today but otherwise he was good. Made two outstanding saves early on and was catching any high balls into the box. LJ may be thinking of signing him, maybe he wanted to see him once more.

We battered them second half but our shooting let us down, had several good chances but all off target. Looking at the three teams in the relegation scrap we came the closest to not getting beat, who'd have thought Brentford (much higher in the table than us) would lose at home by 2 to Blackburn, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it too much. Harry had them playing like a Warnock team so once they went ahead it was always going to be difficult.

Just now, ashton_fan said:

Giefer's kicking was poor today but otherwise he was good. Made two outstanding saves early on and was catching any high balls into the box. LJ may be thinking of signing him, maybe he wanted to see him once more.

We battered them second half but our shooting let us down, had several good chances but all off target. Looking at the three teams in the relegation scrap we came the closest to not getting beat, who'd have thought Brentford (much higher in the table than us) would lose at home by 2 to Blackburn, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it too much. Harry had them playing like a Warnock team so once they went ahead it was always going to be difficult.

I wouldn't sign him personally

As for 'battered them' - can you name me more than one good chance 

(Joe Bryan first half and failed to hit target)

Flints volley late on was a half chance

Other than that ? 

Most of our pressure was pumping long diagonals where we won virtually nil second ball

Other than that ? 

Most of our pressure was pumping long diagonals where we won virtually nil second ball

The Brownhill chance with only the keeper to beat was the best but he put it just wide.

48 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

What I find amazing with some fans analysis is just how little they ever focus on, or give credit to the opposition.

Yes, we lacked creativity today, but Birmingham's play had a lot to do with that.

They crowded the centre mid and closed down quickly early on, looked to catch us on the break over the top several times, especially vs. Flint - from which they scored, then were happy to sit back, time-waste and break up the play. Players went down time and again with any opportunity. The keeper must have wasted 3 minutes over goal kicks.

They were organised and professional. Sat back with 10 men, 2 solid lines of 4, behind the ball. People around me lambasted some of the players today, yes, there is always criticism due, but 9 out 10 times they had 2 men on every player when we attacked. We know we are weakest when we have to 'break down' teams, especially at home, they were clever today. 

We threw the kitchen sink at them and they stood up, they had their lives to fight for. 

For me, that was one of those "wasn't our day" games, but we had a go, we were all over them second half and it's hard to play against a wall, so I can't see where some of the criticism comes from.

But for their goal, I can't really remember any other times I honestly thought they'd score again.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. All too often the analysis is entirely about what we have or haven't done with no credit to the opposition game plan. You'll see people say so often "how can the same team be so good one week and so bad the next" - whilst personal performance levels are a factor, I think the main reason is often how the opposition deal with our threat.

I didn't think we were as bad as some have suggested today. Harry gets credit for organising Birmingham well. A draw would have been the fairest result I think.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Other than that ? 

Brownhill second half, shot wide.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

The Brownhill chance with only the keeper to beat was the best but he put it just wide.

Ahhhh

got ya - second half - sidefooted a volley for the far post

Was a great chance if he'd crossed it , simply squared it :grr:

Had a perfect view from behind him and keeper had it covered all the way - would have been a brilliant finish to have scored with a side foot volley from there 

Thought Bryan's looked a better chance but I was wrong end

Ahhhh

got ya - second half - sidefooted a volley for the far post

Was a great chance if he'd crossed it , simply squared it :grr:

Had a perfect view from behind him and keeper had it covered all the way - would have been a brilliant finish to have scored with a side foot volley from there 

Thought Bryan's looked a better chance but I was wrong end

Not sure Bob, it was close range so a hard shot on target probably doesn't give the keeper time to react. But agree a cross may well have been a better bet.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. All too often the analysis is entirely about what we have or haven't done with no credit to the opposition game plan. You'll see people say so often "how can the same team be so good one week and so bad the next" - whilst personal performance levels are a factor, I think the main reason is often how the opposition deal with our threat.

I didn't think we were as bad as some have suggested today. Harry gets credit for organising Birmingham well. A draw would have been the fairest result I think.

Had a spell as I like to do watching 'off the ball' and I promise you a few of our players were 'hiding' at times today and simply didn't want the ball - Pack and Smith major offenders

Was watching their off the ball movement to show for the ball and it was shocking , truly shocking / non existent 

They weren't the only ones - the were many 'not looking' for the ball today

Shocking

2 hours ago, CTRed said:

Another terrible performance, much like the first half vs Barnsley.

A shame, considering so many fans there today, especially youngsters, who would have seen zero to entice them back.

A boring, woefully inept showing.

I for one, won't be sorry to see any player leave.

Enjoy the summer!

I for one won't be sorry to see knee-jerk reactions like this disappear.  Have you ever heard of the word 'context'.  No?  I thought not.  Sorry but you reaction is so out of proportion it makes me really angry.  Thank heaven the season is over so that I have another three months before re having to read posts like this again.  Do try and develop some optimism over the summer!

Archived