IGNORED

Tomlin

Super

Just now, Super said:

Just about summed up his season when brought on today, absolutely useless. Needs to move on in the summer

I thought it summed him up in that , on a few occasions he showed that class he has and played the right ball , whilst on a number of occasions beat one man but then wanted to beat another three and gave the ball away

Was , as always far better when he doesn't try and showboat - on one occasion he tried to give the defenders the eyes and then passed the ball to a blue shirt with no City player within 8 yards and put us in trouble on the break

Yes Tomlin was really disappointing again today. He goes for the Hollywood option all the time and is almost too desperate to do something out of the ordinary. He's almost like the most talented kid in a school team, trying to prove he's the most talented player in he team. 

I was so excited when he signed but he's been as big as disappointment as anyone  in a really disappointing season. 

Personally thought it was the correct substitution. We were crying out for someone who can make something happen, Tomlin is the obvious answer. Thought he tried to get on the ball as much as he could. It just didn't happen for him. Players like Tomlin do frustrate at times, but you have to accept their inadequacy's as well as their sheer brilliance at times. COYR

Sums up Bristol City some were singing his name when he come on. :facepalm: he's done nothing the entire year and is probably the worst transfer in the history of the club when you consider wages and the fee not to mention all the fuss to get him here. Selfish and got to be about him. Brilliant last season and I wanted him here but he's shown his true colours and if we can get rid it won't be soon enough. 

Not Tomlins fault he's best footballer at the club but they knew what they were getting when they signed him but failed to recruit the right players around him now they will have to give him away to have any chance of getting him off the wage list 

i personally think that the poor signings were why Des Taylor got sacked and why LJ didn't get sacked because he was able to tell SL that he can't do anything with the quality of players that he was given 

As an aside - I was watching the shooting drill closely pre match and Tomlins finishing was awesome generally

Head and shoulders above anyone else

But then we know the ability he possesses - so frustrating - if he would only play as part of a team and use his skills as the cream on top

Watching Taylor closely - his technique and finishing in the drill was simply awful !!! (Doesn't look a finisher to me !!!)

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Watching Taylor closely - his technique and finishing in the drill was simply awful !!! (Doesn't look a finisher to me !!!)

There's a surprise, he snatched badly at his only chance today, had that awful miskick at Brighton, too- I know some on here have taken to him but he looks largely to be out of his depth to me.

We didn't see very much of Engvall before loaning him back home, but I cannot believe he is any worse.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There's a surprise, he snatched badly at his only chance today, had that awful miskick at Brighton, too- I know some on here have taken to him but he looks largely to be out of his depth to me.

We didn't see very much of Engvall before loaning him back home, but I cannot believe he is any worse.

Seriously Graham - I know it's a warm up drill but it looked like they'd grabbed a fan from the stands , mis hits and scuffs galore - he did catch one that went in off the underside of the bar but you would never had him down as a pro watching the drill 

I have a thing about these drills , you can certainly see which players have the better techniques

Patterson is normally one of the better 

I think I'd have given Taylor a run for his money in the drill today !!!

Hes a trier and busy , I've said a couple of times , if he has a realistic future it may be as an attacking midfielder , I'm not sure he'll cut it as a goal scorer and as much as a handful Duric is I don't see him as a goal scorer either - We are going to need a goal scorer or two in , in the summer unless we conjure some goals up from elsewhere

Take Flint out the mix for a minute , Patterson will get his share but Pack and Smith offer virtually zero goal threat , Brownhill ?

We need a good rethink over the summer and some very good recruitment IMHO

27 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As an aside - I was watching the shooting drill closely pre match and Tomlins finishing was awesome generally

Head and shoulders above anyone else

But then we know the ability he possesses - so frustrating - if he would only play as part of a team and use his skills as the cream on top

Taylor seems a taller, slower, Junior Bent, pulls the opposition all over the place but little composure.

I still think he may come good, his assists have helped us no end in this run in.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Taylor seems a taller, slower, Junior Bent, pulls the opposition all over the place but little composure.

I still think he may come good, his assists have helped us no end in this run in.

Let's hope

But when you watch technique (Tomlin Tbf was whipping them in the bottom corners leaving the keeper helpless 4/5 times) , Taylor was 'hitting the target' (Sometimes) and only once beat the keeper from 10 (And that was through power) , that's in a drill , uncontested from 15-20 yds

As I watched I thought , half chance , in a game , under pressure .... why would he suddenly 'find' that composure and technique ...

He may improve with work on training ground but he's been in the game enough - And I havnt watched his goals for SAGs and Tbf he must have got them past the keeper one way or another !!!! ;)

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seriously Graham - I know it's a warm up drill but it looked like they'd grabbed a fan from the stands , mis hits and scuffs galore - he did catch one that went in off the underside of the bar but you would never had him down as a pro watching the drill 

I have a thing about these drills , you can certainly see which players have the better techniques

Hes a trier and busy , I've said a couple of times , if he has a realistic future it may be as an attacking midfielder , I'm not sure he'll cut it as a goal scorer and as much as a handful Duric is I don't see him as a goal scorer either - We are going to need a goal scorer or two in , in the summer unless we conjure some goals up from elsewhere

Take Flint out the mix for a minute , Patterson will get his share but Pack and Smith offer virtually zero goal threat , Brownhill ?

I've always said this. We are generally poor at those drills. Even when Kodjia was here he'd miss the target more often than not. I haven't watched in ages but Tomlin was quite good and the next two that stood out to me were Derrick Williams and Magnusson when I've seen them do it. Then there were attacking players like Freeman and Reid who seemed to scuff it every time they shot. Not taking it seriously? 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I've always said this. We are generally poor at those drills. Even when Kodjia was here he'd miss the target more often than not. I haven't watched in ages but Tomlin was quite good and the next two that stood out to me were Derrick Williams and Magnusson when I've seen them do it. Then there were attacking players like Freeman and Reid who seemed to scuff it every time they shot. Not taking it seriously? 

Earlier in the season Joe , Id accuse them of not taking it seriously 

Today I couldn't accuse them of that - they seemed reasonably focused , it was more the technique that concerned me in some - if you can't finish in that drill you are asking a lot to be able to do it in the thrust of a game (Accepting that there are some players who are actually better when having to react instinctively)

It just shocks me how often pros fail to even strike it properly - for all his faults Tomlin almost makes the ball 'talk' at times , like a golfer with swerve and fade on the ball and he controls the ball / strike 

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on.

At present we start a game with our likeliest scorers being Tammy (by a mile) then statistically Flint & Paterson.

Lose the first two of those this summer and we suddenly look massively goal shy.

I like Djuric a lot and feel he has a part to play in the squad but 8-10 goals a season would be a good tally for him.

Whoever we bring in to replace Tammy, we need more goals from elsewhere, too, which as you say given a Korey/ Pack pairing would not be from centre mid...

This doesn't address the Tomlin conundrum, either..

Part of the solution must be to concede far fewer but we will need a greater all round contribution of goals to get anywhere near what we managed this season.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

At present we start a game with our likeliest scorers being Tammy (by a mile) then statistically Flint & Paterson.

Lose the first two of those this summer and we suddenly look massively goal shy.

I like Djuric a lot and feel he has a part to play in the squad but 8-10 goals a season would be a good tally for him.

Whoever we bring in to replace Tammy, we need more goals from elsewhere, too, which as you say given a Korey/ Pack pairing would not be from centre mid...

This doesn't address the Tomlin conundrum, either..

Part of the solution must be to concede far fewer but we will need a greater all round contribution of goals to get anywhere near what we managed this season.

Not sure quite what Pack & Smith were doing today - they weren't protecting the back four at all , esp first half and weren't getting within 20/25 YTS of Tammy and MT - No challenges and let Birmingham bossed the midfield first half and then sat on what they had , in IMHO relative comfort

Btw - thought Gardener showed how to play the defensive midfielder / screening role brilliantly

1 hour ago, rockinredrobin said:

Not Tomlins fault he's best footballer at the club but they knew what they were getting when they signed him but failed to recruit the right players around him now they will have to give him away to have any chance of getting him off the wage list 

i personally think that the poor signings were why Des Taylor got sacked and why LJ didn't get sacked because he was able to tell SL that he can't do anything with the quality of players that he was given 

He may well be the most talented footballer in years at the Gate but the guy is totally overweight and unfit st this level . Why was he allowed to be signed in the summer.....did no one see the timber?

3 hours ago, cityexile said:

Serious question.

Would anyone offer him the kind of contract he would want, for near what we paid? Not obvious to me.

Got to confess, was excited when he signed. Now...not so much.

I think there will be a few promotion aspired teams who might see LT as the missing cog. He has ability, but I think he thinks he is too good for us and can therefore stroll around. We can't afford a player who won't run around for his fellow team mates. In a way that's sad that we can't accommodate him. Better teams might be able to?  I'd definitely move him on. But that's no surprise coming from me!!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Works hard. Decent movement. But bit of a hot potato with the ball at his feet. I will reserve total judgement til I've seen play when Tammy isn't the main man. Think he'll score the odd wonder goal. 

Interesting that Engvall got 3 today and Tinnion thinks he has a future here!  Only 20!!

Archived