IGNORED

Downsy

JHAGa

He is getting better, he just needs to calm down and understand Ashton gate isnt Wembley, Bristol city, football and it's culture.

No biggy, but the first lesson is don't sound so excited announcing anything that the away fans would find laughable, we dont like looking embarrassed or sounding tin pot.

Birminghams average attendance was 30k until recently and today we made it sound like we were really excited to get 25000 and a bit, Birmingham is a big game for us and maybe one of our biggest games for 30 years.

I preferred the guy that used to sing songs before the game started and I thought he was average at best.

But hey ho the kids must like him or something.

Just be careful hes very active on social media and wouldn't be surprised if he pops on here occasionally to get some feedback over how hes coming accross. Whether or not you think he is a good announcer theres no need for personal insults.

Personally I think hes not had a great start but has improved a lot recently and we all make mistakes in a new job before getting it nailed down. Give the guy a chance next year  

Only thing more amateur than him repeatedly telling everyone how big the crowd was, was him declaring that it was Aden Flint's 300th game for Bristol City. Not sure where he got that from.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

Only thing more amateur than him repeatedly telling everyone how big the crowd was, was him declaring that it was Aden Flint's 300th game for Bristol City. Not sure where he got that from.

I think the whole mc performance before the game beats the Aden flints 300th game part tonne fair 

9 hours ago, Olé said:

I thought he said 200th which seemed about right given that he's never injured. Must get my ears checked! 

He has definitely improved. It was fed back to him recently though, that when interviewing 8 year old girls, it wasn't really appropriate to be asking a child of that age if she came to watch the football, or came to stare at the footballers legs. :facepalm:

Just now, Dollymarie said:

He has definitely improved. It was fed back to him recently though, that when interviewing 8 year old girls, it wasn't really appropriate to be asking a child of that age if she came to watch the football, or came to stare at the footballers legs:facepalm:

Jesus Christ! :shocking:

People on here mugged off Dave L , now it's Downsy's turn!

Surely people have to realise he will be following instructions from the club regarding what to say etc.

Agreed he's loud but that can change with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism !!

6 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

He has definitely improved. It was fed back to him recently though, that when interviewing 8 year old girls, it wasn't really appropriate to be asking a child of that age if she came to watch the football, or came to stare at the footballers legs. :facepalm:

And he got asked back to do next season???? 

He must have the same photos LJ has of Mrs L in the nip...

12 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I thought he said 200th which seemed about right given that he's never injured. Must get my ears checked! 

Your ears are fine....He did say 200...  He's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - he'd probably be perfect announcing at a "soccer" stadium approximately 4000 miles west of here, but that's just going to be a learning curve he'll need to be on.  In his defence I'm sure that he'd be happy to receive constructive feedback on it.  I'm certain that's something he indicated earlier in the season.

There really is no need for the personal insults though....I'd love to see how some of the rest of you would get on if given the mic for a game.

The biggest issue is with the PA system as a whole.  Really needs to be sorted out. I can't imagine that it isn't on the agenda.

• Admin

It was the first time this season that I got to my seat whilst the teams were warming up

I thought the actual idea of what he does and then passed onto the interview with LJ with @AdamB was very good - certainly brings us into the modern day

Where they are let down is the sound quality, I couldn't hear anything of the interview and the the stuff pitchside was just too loud

Where there is a problem is I'm guessing the guy is new to working around a football environment so where as announcing something seemingly innuocous to an outsider is wrong at football 

17 hours ago, maxjak said:

He's a sad fat overgrown child......it's like something from Smashy and Nicey, a flesh and blood cartoon. Sort out the PA and find someone who has insight, charm and a decent sense of humour.  If u can't do that?...then leave the PA as an incoherent mess, and Downsy will continue to be thankfully incomprehensible.

I've sat and thought about this for a good few minutes but I just can't understand how sad your existence must be to take this so personally!

Agree with other comments about Downsy going OTT at full-time. Whether you like football or not, we've just lost so it shouldn't take a genius to play the crowd.

Shouting at everyone at the final whistle of a game we had just lost about the attendance was the absolute equivalent of Finchy saying he'd thrown a kettle over a pub.

Although as someone above says, nowhere near as embarrassing as how much he was going on about the attendance earlier in the season while Newcastle '52000 fans at home' were in the away end.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Shouting at everyone at the final whistle of a game we had just lost about the attendance was the absolute equivalent of Finchy saying he'd thrown a kettle over a pub.

Although as someone above says, nowhere near as embarrassing as how much he was going on about the attendance earlier in the season while Newcastle '52000 fans at home' were in the away end.

Hehe. Spot on!   :clapping:

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Not sure that's a Downsy innovation.

It is, David Lloyd never welcomed the other team back.

Realised I've made an error there though, he doesn't welcome them back to the pitch, he asks us, the home fans, to welcome them back, and says it with excitement.

Yesterday for example: "Please welcome back our visitors, Birmingham Cityyyy!"

He'd say it if we played the gas and were 3-0 down he's that out of touch.

And as previously mentioned, that comment to an 8 year old girl about staring at footballers legs was disgusting, should've been sacked there and then.

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

That's a bit odd. 

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

What is it with DJ's?

8 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

I'm sure my memory says he did. Maybe I'm wrong. @Dave L - can you confirm?

I didn't, but each to their own. 

I'd just like to say that I think Downsy does a good job. When I started 10 years ago I got some stick for not being like my predecessor, and Ian  has unfortunately had a similar reaction from some. 

Although it's flattering for me that some people want me to come back, I'm very happy having reverted to being an everyday fan. It was a buzz doing the awards yesterday, but I wish Downsy all the best as your new man on the mic.

2 hours ago, Dave L said:

I didn't, but each to their own. 

I'd just like to say that I think Downsy does a good job. When I started 10 years ago I got some stick for not being like my predecessor, and Ian  has unfortunately had a similar reaction from some. 

Although it's flattering for me that some people want me to come back, I'm very happy having reverted to being an everyday fan. It was a buzz doing the awards yesterday, but I wish Downsy all the best as your new man on the mic.

I imagine it's a learning experience, as with any job. He needs some experience and to learn not to shout so gayly after such a depressing loss, but he's certainly not helped by the PA system currently in use.

23 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

He's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - he'd probably be perfect announcing at a "soccer" stadium approximately 4000 miles west of here....

I dislike the term 'soccer' but football was called 'soccer' in this country way, way before it was known as 'football' and way, way before the USA ever grasped the concept. Just thought I'd bring this up in a very boring Tuesday morning post as I look out onto a dreary, grey day.....when does next season start?!

Archived