IGNORED

Next Season

Numero Uno

Right, we know Johnson isn't going anywhere so from a pragmatic point of view what would you call "progress" under him next season? The question is not whether you think he can deliver but what do you expect him to deliver in order to feel we are going in the right direction?

For me, 54 points in 46 league games isn't enough and you can split the season into thirds, quarters however you like, those are the facts if this season. Progress for me is to put at least ten points on that total next season without being in a serious relegation battle. If he can't do that he isn't the man for us!!

Need to recruit well. LJ needs to be a lot quicker in deciding his strongest team. Then needs to stick to it as much as possible. Think 60 points is minimum target for next year. Going to try and enjoy the summer. Be interesting to see our transfer business (in and out). 

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Right, we know Johnson isn't going anywhere so from a pragmatic point of view what would you call "progress" under him next season? The question is not whether you think he can deliver but what do you expect him to deliver in order to feel we are going in the right direction?

For me, 54 points in 46 league games isn't enough and you can split the season into thirds, quarters however you like, those are the facts if this season. Progress for me is to put at least ten points on that total next season without being in a serious relegation battle. If he can't do that he isn't the man for us!!

Yep,that's it in a nutshell. 

I hoped that transfer window three would be more akin to fine tuning, but I think it needs to be more radical than that. 

Its no point trying to second guess at the mo'. 

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Based on this season. I do not think we can progress under Johnson. He is simply not fit for purpose. And today's performance just underlined that for me.

Whilst I think this season has been really poor I'm prepared to give Johnson the first third of next season. Personally I don't think he is the man for the job but he deserves another chance for keeping us up in the end. 

As @Davefevs has said this third window now looks like we need a overhaul rather than just icing on the cake. As many have said replacing Tammy looks mighty challenging as no one looks like scoring half the goals he has got.

Another thing that concerns me is our ability to attract older players and Johnsons ability to keep them on side. Whilst it's great to see a young team I think we need a few older heads with experience, Gary O'Neil seemed to be that player but it appears  he fell out with Johnson. For me Wade Elliot was a big part in our sucess under Coterill, players with that experience make a massive difference even if they don't play every week. 

Anyway it will be nice to have a few weeks off now, looking forward to next season but I really don't want another relegation battle mid table with a cup run would be great. 

60-65 points next year par for me.

For our position, scored and conceeded more than those around us. We have got used to a twenty a season player for a while now, but that is not the norm at this level. Want to see us at stronger through the back and midfield. Let us see what the summer brings, but just no idea right now where the goals will come from.

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

Relegation unless Johnson is sacked.

I don't think so.  He's a clever bloke and he will have learned a lot from this season.  My major worry about him is whether he can make the right signings, because I think some of his acquisitions this season (Hegeler, Geiger) have not been good enough.  However, with the right squad I think we can do well.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don't think so.  He's a clever bloke and he will have learned a lot from this season.  My major worry about him is whether he can make the right signings, because I think some of his acquisitions this season (Hegeler, Geiger) have not been good enough.  However, with the right squad I think we can do well.

Very pragmatic that. With the right squad, I also think we can do well.

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

For me he's shown little to be called clever so I'll wait to see next year.
I really believe we have a half decent squad and maybe 3 additions could make a big difference . Hegeler came from a League that may not be as quick and hasn't settled well, I thought he looked class early on but being in a confidence free team didn't help his style of play.
Add a quick striker, a right back maybe one other , oh possibly a LB. With the likes of Brownhill and Patterson looking more likely. Odowda and Mags will be better for a spell in the Championship. We have Engvall (now scoring) and Taylor Moore to come back so the depth is there, we need quality. There keepers position is a worry, not heard any reports on Lucic. Giefer will go back and FF isn't up to it. A few have been bandying Ruddy's name around but if we went in for him we could be competing with the Squatters, we'd have no chance .

As for my Major worry, Isewater :ph34r:

For me a lot depends on the loaning of Chelsea's next young striker off of the conveyor belt & also who goes out the door.

We definitely need a keeper, right back, a commandig midfielder and two or possibly three strikers.

A poor season which, fortunately, the club survived.

We need to improve all departments, including the manager.  Otherwise, expect more of the same next season.

Advice to Lansdown:

Relieve Johnson of his duties and take some advice on the best manager to appoint, because your current batting average is 1 for 8 - Tinnion, Johnson Snr, Coppell, Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll, Cotterill and Johnson Jnr - some shocking appointments amongst that lot (only with Johnson senior has the club flirted with success in the second tier under Lansdown) 

Get yourself a proven manager (not a "learner" or an "up-and-coming"), who can build a Championship-level team that can keep clean sheets and can regularly score goals.  Simple, eh?  If you really, TRULY, want to see this club successful, you need to spend a few more millions and realise that - in this day and age - good players, and good managers, are NOT cheap.  Even if you make it to the promised land, you'll come straight back down unless you're prepared to spend yet more millions.

How much do you REALLY want success for Bristol City?  You have the immense wealth needed to back them - put your money where your mouth is...

Progress for me would be Johnson signing players that he actually plays. Not falling out with them. Not inferring that he has a boatload of players he cannot trust and not publicly lambasting them. 

Progress for me would be cutting out the fancy stuff and going back to basics that ensures we don't look like conceding every 5 minutes. Id take boring successful football over a half of high octane brilliant football followed by a half of dire shit where we look non league and uninterested. 

Progress would be some degree of consistency. 

You need to be introducing some of your youngsters into the first team, giving them a prolonged run from the start of the season, even if the results don't come at first, you don't need to be recruiting lots of players 5/6 should be enough, you've got what you need really, they just need plenty of coaching, as a club you need to be identifying a style of football you want to implement, with a settled formation and game plan. If your players don't know from one game to the next what they are going to be asked to do then you'll struggle again next season, you need to get the foundations right on which your trying to build, from what I've seen you've got the core of a decent side, you just need a clear plan and organisation from top to bottom, by now Johnson should know what he's wanting to do, but I don't think he does, how can you go out and recruit the players you need if you don't know what you need, buying two decent wingers, then playing 4-1-2-1-2 is silliness, same as buying two decent strikers then playing 4-5-1 without a clear idea on how you want to play you'll never get a balanced squad and without that your making it harder for yourself. Your board and head coach need to sit down together decide on a main formation you'll mostly be playing then go get the players to suit that, Instead of a headless chicken approach. 

12 minutes ago, Rascal said:

You need to be introducing some of your youngsters into the first team, giving them a prolonged run from the start of the season, even if the results don't come at first, you don't need to be recruiting lots of players 5/6 should be enough, you've got what you need really, they just need plenty of coaching, as a club you need to be identifying a style of football you want to implement, with a settled formation and game plan. If your players don't know from one game to the next what they are going to be asked to do then you'll struggle again next season, you need to get the foundations right on which your trying to build, from what I've seen you've got the core of a decent side, you just need a clear plan and organisation from top to bottom, by now Johnson should know what he's wanting to do, but I don't think he does, how can you go out and recruit the players you need if you don't know what you need, buying two decent wingers, then playing 4-1-2-1-2 is silliness, same as buying two decent strikers then playing 4-5-1 without a clear idea on how you want to play you'll never get a balanced squad and without that your making it harder for yourself. Your board and head coach need to sit down together decide on a main formation you'll mostly be playing then go get the players to suit that, Instead of a headless chicken approach. 

You've just proved you're instantly better qualified than Johnson!

what about yourselves? Tough season ahead?

Spot on Rascal.

There is no logic at all in what LJ does. He brings in a big striker who is good in the air but we play with no width and put in very few crosses. Yesterday we had a corner with Djuric and Flint in the middle and took a short corner rather than cross it.

For me I can't see what formation or style LJ is aiming for. It just seems totally random.

12 hours ago, Bullbag said:

Relegation unless Johnson is sacked.

Are you even able to read what a thread is about before you reply with this bollocks? Give it a ******* rest, or if you don't, keep out of threads that are nothing to do with your opinion on the manager. 

Fordy is spot on with the word consistency. If we can consistently play like we have in the last 10 games then we could push for a top six place with he right recruitment. 

Progress for me, as a club, is not being in a relegation battle. Imagine that. A whole year without any genuine threat of relegation. We haven't had that at this level since 2011 so it'd be a welcome change. 

There's no upper limit to what could be achieved if the recruitment and management is spot on. But in terms of a realistic goal that delivers incremental progress, I'd take a comfortable 12th. 

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

There keepers position is a worry, not heard any reports on Lucic. Giefer will go back and FF isn't up to it. A few have been bandying Ruddy's name around but if we went in for him we could be competing with the Squatters, we'd have no chance .

I think a little unfair on Frankie.  He is close to being a very good goalkeeper indeed, and his kicking has improved no end since he joined us.  The thing he can do little about is his height, which is always going to be a problem at set pieces, but otherwise I think he's good enough for the Championship.

5 hours ago, SimplyRed said:

Advice to Lansdown:

Relieve Johnson of his duties and take some advice on the best manager to appoint, because your current batting average is 1 for 8 - Tinnion, Johnson Snr, Coppell, Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll, Cotterill and Johnson Jnr - some shocking appointments amongst that lot (only with Johnson senior has the club flirted with success in the second tier under Lansdown) 

Get yourself a proven manager (not a "learner" or an "up-and-coming"), who can build a Championship-level team that can keep clean sheets and can regularly score goals.  Simple, eh?  If you really, TRULY, want to see this club successful, you need to spend a few more millions and realise that - in this day and age - good players, and good managers, are NOT cheap.  Even if you make it to the promised land, you'll come straight back down unless you're prepared to spend yet more millions.

How much do you REALLY want success for Bristol City?  You have the immense wealth needed to back them - put your money where your mouth is...

Jeez........:facepalm:

Im guessing that you don't read that many threads on here SR. 

Its been explained several times on here what SLs long term plan is and what role LJ plays in said plan.

Dear oh dear............:disapointed2se:

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think a little unfair on Frankie.  He is close to being a very good goalkeeper indeed, and his kicking has improved no end since he joined us.  The thing he can do little about is his height, which is always going to be a problem at set pieces, but otherwise I think he's good enough for the Championship.

And our defence as it is currently play much better with Frankie behind them, they looked like nervous wrecks yesterday, Flint and Bryan in particular had their worst games for a while, but with Bryan that's not too difficult. Giefer made me so nervous and I believe he is going back to Germany so it's Lucic or O'Leary at the moment, we need another.

As people have previously said its more of a rebuild than a smoothing out wrinkles. O'Neil &Hegler  haven't worked, we don't know what to do with Tomlin or who to play with him. Magnusson isn't getting game time, nor Bobby Reid and Golbourne for example. We have Taylor Moore returning from loan, and a couple of others. Obviously we don't know who will be off apart from Tammy who will be a headache to replace, we only really scraped avoiding relegation and our run of losses can't look that attractive to many players who will have better options than us to join.

Good luck, Lee & Mark.

50 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You've just proved you're instantly better qualified than Johnson!

what about yourselves? Tough season ahead?

It's really hard to say at this stage, When I renewed my season ticket I was expecting a relegation fight and a really tough season, so anything above that is a bonus, I've been a active Barnsley fan for 31 seasons, having had a season ticket from starting work, and paying on day for the 10 years prior to that,as well as going to 90 to 100% of away games every season, I've seen a lot over the years. I honestly believe the club is in as good a position off the field as they've ever been at the moment, we have a strategy that seems to be working,we have a style we want to play and it's enjoyable and entertaining to watch, attacking football using 442 and 451 formations. Next season all depends on our summer recruitment, we need to get it right again, but that will be difficult, because we do have a really small transfer budget, and one of the smallest wage bill budgets in the league, but then again we have a fantastic head coach and scouting network, and a clear plan on how we intend to move forward. Taking everything into consideration it's clearly going to be difficult given our financial restraints, but looking back at the last 18 months we have proved we can move forward and compete at this level with our budget if we get things right in the transfer window. But footballs unpredictable that's why we love it and keep coming back for more every season. 

46 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You are right of course, that is harsh. Problem is we need to be harsh to improve, keeper is the one position where hight can make a big difference that can't be overcome. Even CB's have been dominating when not being the tallest, Bailey Wright is shorter than FF. I thought  Geifer did OK Saturday and it makes a difference when a keeper comes for a cross consistently , defence can have more confidence in what he's going to do. How FF backed away from a ball the other week that rolled into his area was awful.
He is a good shot stopper and all round is decent, but if we want to improve we need a step up. That said if we didn't sign a better keeper I wouldn't be too worried , but if we could sign a keeper that dominated his area it could make a big difference.

22 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Who are you, forum police?

If you don't like me or what I post then put me on ignore.

Simple.

The thread is nothing to do with the manager. It's specifically talking about player recruitment so don't derail it.

Basic forum etiquette. 

First choice right back, first choice goalscoring machine of a striker, another winger as we only have 2 atm COD and Pato. Need to shed the likes of Tomlin and O'Neil to free up wages if we're to make a marquee signing. 

53 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You are right of course, that is harsh. Problem is we need to be harsh to improve, keeper is the one position where hight can make a big difference that can't be overcome. Even CB's have been dominating when not being the tallest, Bailey Wright is shorter than FF. I thought  Geifer did OK Saturday and it makes a difference when a keeper comes for a cross consistently , defence can have more confidence in what he's going to do. How FF backed away from a ball the other week that rolled into his area was awful.
He is a good shot stopper and all round is decent, but if we want to improve we need a step up. That said if we didn't sign a better keeper I wouldn't be too worried , but if we could sign a keeper that dominated his area it could make a big difference.

Good come-back.  You only have to think back to Basso to realise what difference a goalkeeper can make to the whole team...

Frankie has looked far more assured recently , but I think if Flint was to move on and we don't replace him with a similar aerially dominant centre half we would urgently need to look for a commanding keeper

Flint deals with a lot of balls that could have us in trouble with Frankies aerial limitations

It may be Flints immediate future could change the whole thinking, and certainly would for me

Just a thought

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Frankie has looked far more assured recently , but I think if Flint was to move on and we don't replace him with a similar aerially dominant centre half we would urgently need to look for a commanding keeper

Flint deals with a lot of balls that could have us in trouble with Frankies aerial limitations

It may be Flints immediate future could change the whole thinking, and certainly would for me

Just a thought

Spot on.  However, I think any Prem manager who saw the way Adams turned Flint yesterday would be having real doubts about him.  Richard Latham in the Sunday Independent yesterday clearly believes that his four-year contract ought to keep him at Ashton Gate.  Having said that, much as I like Frankie, I do agree that he doesn't give us what we need in terms of a commanding presence and I would certainly prioritise a new keeper.

Straying from the topic for a moment, what the hell was that one-handed punch from Giefer about yesterday? 

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Spot on.  However, I think any Prem manager who saw the way Adams turned Flint yesterday would be having real doubts about him.  Richard Latham in the Sunday Independent yesterday clearly believes that his four-year contract ought to keep him at Ashton Gate.  Having said that, much as I like Frankie, I do agree that he doesn't give us what we need in terms of a commanding presence and I would certainly prioritise a new keeper.

Straying from the topic for a moment, what the hell was that one-handed punch from Giefer about yesterday? 

It was about stopping the ball from going into his goal

Archived