IGNORED

A tale of two managers - LJ bouncing & Cotts respect

Fordy62

Just now, JHAGa said:

Under qualifed? Guided us to 18th and 17th in the Championship now, so that's pretty standard.

I know I won't change minds of the minority who have their minds made up and whinge every week even when things are going well.

Johnson In.

There was still a chance of relegation with 2 games to go and you call that going well?

Johnson spent more than 15 Championship managers and finished behind all bar 6 of them. 

Ironically even he thought most of the 19 he signed were not as good as the ones he inherited from Cotts. 

Bet you anything you like any of the players that have played under both would rather Cotts was still their manager. 

Just now, JHAGa said:

Because fans were no doubt asking him to do it? Or was he doing it for the fun?

As I said above, Taylor was asked to kiss the badge. He was sensible enough not to. I would have thought LJ had more sense.

For me, the bouncing song is about doing well. It don't want it ruined. I certainly don't want it ruined by a manager who I have little excitement for, who's got the job for his ball cupping skills rather than managerial ability. 

Just now, lenred said:

Who's not going to? Yet again, people showing concern and rationally discussing the situation that this season has brought about is labelled by you as negativity.  Suggest you're the one who is becoming 'tedious' of anyone around here is. 

'Rationally' nitpicking at the Head Coach for jumping on a stage at an end of season event. A small moment of letting his hair down after months of pressure being used to again needlessly knock the manager by the same old individuals? How rational.

North Korea is threatening the USA, In the UK the Tories are going to win more or less completely unopposed (cannot be good for any democracy) and all that LJ can do is bounce around like a big (small) kid. you are a total disgrace, Lee, you really are    :laugh:

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Who's not going to? Yet again, people showing concern and rationally discussing the situation that this season has brought about is labelled by you as negativity.  Suggest you're the one who is becoming 'tedious' if anyone around here is. 

I'm afraid I might have let you down with my latest response!

Needless thing to have a dig at.

It was a season of non movement, containing good form and bad form, we've taken a different approach of sticking with a manager after years of sacking got us nowhere, so how does LJ expect to kick on from here if he is getting abuse for jumping up and down at the fans request? 

Help the club to progress and stop pointless, petty digs like this.

Just now, JHAGa said:

'Rationally' nitpicking at the Head Coach for jumping on a stage at an end of season event. A small moment of letting his hair down after months of pressure being used to again needlessly knock the manager by the same old individuals? How rational.

By the time that happened, SC had already stolen his thunder.

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I would thank Jonathan Kodjia and Tammy Abraham for 'guiding' us to those positions rather than the manager.

Id thank god that LJ convinced Chelsea to give us one of Englands most exciting young players. Fantastic piece of work by Johnson love him or hate him

Just now, NickJ said:

There was still a chance of relegation with 2 games to go and you call that going well?

Johnson spent more than 15 Championship managers and finished behind all bar 6 of them. 

Ironically even he thought most of the 19 he signed were not as good as the ones he inherited from Cotts. 

Bet you anything you like any of the players that have played under both would rather Cotts was still their manager. 

Winning 6 of our last 10 and the same names still whinging is my gripe. This post has nothing to do with today's loss on the pitch. The season hasn't been a success nor has it been a disaster like a few like to make out. 17th place is pretty standard for our club and no real shock. Same names bring up the negatives and don't acknowledge the negatives week after week after week.

He spent more but also received a lot more from sales to balance that statement out. Liverpool spent loads after losing Suarez and Spurs after losing Bale - doesn't help a great deal. 0 net spend and a place higher than last season, that's standard.

I love SC and didn't want him to leave but I don't overexaggerate the negatives like a few of you.

Just now, JHAGa said:

The whole point of a forum is debate. Some will admire LJ for bouncing up and down on a stage. Some will find it unnecessary and cringeworthy given the season we've had, staying up by the skin of our teeth and after yet another defeat. It's not nitpicking at all. It's a valid conversation and discussion on a city forum. 

Just now, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Needless thing to have a dig at.

It was a season of non movement, containing good form and bad form, we've taken a different approach of sticking with a manager after years of sacking got us nowhere, so how does LJ expect to kick on from here if he is getting abuse for jumping up and down at the fans request? 

That's an interesting point and in response I'd say in all seriousness it's a measure of how unpopular he is with some of the fans. 

Rightly or wrongly, that's how it is.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

As I said above, Taylor was asked to kiss the badge. He was sensible enough not to. I would have thought LJ had more sense.

For me, the bouncing song is about doing well. It don't want it ruined. I certainly don't want it ruined by a manager who I have little excitement for, who's got the job for his ball cupping skills rather than managerial ability. 

The bouncing song is about doing well? Well we've ended the season on a good run, fans called for the manager to bounce at an end of season event and he did so on a stage. To make something out of that is utterly baffling to me.

You may not like it, but others do.

As for your last sentence, well, there you have it. Speaks for itself.

This thread sounds like something is being made out of nothing to me. 

Yes SC gave us our best season in years and yes it was fitting that we gave him the respect he deserves today. But things weren't working well towards the end and ultimately the change ensured we remained in the championship.  

LJ is a different character and takes after his old man with being up for a bit of banter and having a laugh.  Doesn't make him any less serious or committed than SC or any other manager we've had. 

I'm happy that Cotts got us to where we are and with Lee being given the opportunity to build on that. 

Personally I find it even more cringeworthy that people were calling for him to bounce if that was the case , as suggested (I guess the kids that Ole refers to in away trips )

A wise man would have said something to the effect 'No  but I'll do it next season when we've been been better'

It does concern me that we (SL, MA & LJ) all seem to think weve achieved something notable by staying up

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

The bouncing song is about doing well? Well we've ended the season on a good run, fans called for the manager to bounce at an end of season event and he did so on a stage. To make something out of that is utterly baffling to me.

You may not like it, but others do.

As for your last sentence, well, there you have it. Speaks for itself.

This.:clap::clap:

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

Winning 6 of our last 10 and the same names still whinging is my gripe. This post has nothing to do with today's loss on the pitch. The season hasn't been a success nor has it been a disaster like a few like to make out. 17th place is pretty standard for our club and no real shock. Same names bring up the negatives and don't acknowledge the negatives week after week after week.

He spent more but also received a lot more from sales to balance that statement out. Liverpool spent loads after losing Suarez and Spurs after losing Bale - doesn't help a great deal. 0 net spend and a place higher than last season, that's standard.

I love SC and didn't want him to leave but I don't overexaggerate the negatives like a few of you.

The negative is that Johnson is an infinitely inferior manager than the man he replaced.

That can never be exaggerated lest Lansdown thinks this is acceptable.

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

The whole point of a forum is debate. Some will admire LJ for bouncing up and down on a stage. Some will find it unnecessary and cringeworthy given the season we've had, staying up by the skin of our teeth and after yet another defeat. It's not nitpicking at all. It's a valid conversation and discussion on a city forum. 

I'm all for debates, I've done so at length. I'll usually try and put across a more balanced view when debating with the 10 or so constant negative posters on here but whatever.

But I have to say, criticising a manager after the last game of the season for jumping up and down in response to his own support, is clutching at straws even by some people's standards on here.

Just now, JHAGa said:

I'm all for debates, I've done so at length. I'll usually try and put across a more balanced view when debating with the 10 or so constant negative posters on here but whatever.

But I have to say, criticising a manager after the last game of the season for jumping up and down in response to his own support, is clutching at straws even by some people's standards on here.

You keep quoting these '10 or so constant negative posters' as part of some diatribe. Can you name them please? 

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just observations from today...

One lapping up the well earned respect he deserved. Very fitting.

The other, quite frankly embarrassingly bouncing up and down on stage like he'd achieved something. 

Now, the Cotts & LJ thing has been done to death - and I'm sure it'll be done some more here, but I think today's actions pretty much sum up my feelings about both.

Heres to a summer of rest and hopefully an reignited passion for my football club. 

IMG_6640.PNG

IMG_6647.PNG

Can't believe some of our fans. Why sing the bounce song? What has he acheived? Cotterill was out of his depth too but at least he won us a title!

Just now, NickJ said:

The negative is that Johnson is an infinitely inferior manager than the man he replaced.

That can never be exaggerated lest Lansdown thinks this is acceptable.

Cotterill's highest finish in this division is 13th. LJ 17th. We're hardly talking Sir Alex Ferguson and Steve Kean here.

LJ guided us to safety last season after taking over from SC. I opposed SC's appointment and I opposed his sacking. I think he definitely could have been backed more in the summer after promotion and I admire SC very much for all he did for this club. I also like LJ though. It's not one or the other. LJ ended last season well in this division, started this season well in this division and ended it well. Awful run in between but there's plenty of positives if you choose to look away from focusing purely on the negatives.

You look at their win records in this division and I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that SC is 'infinitely superior'. I think SC is certainly more experienced and I believe, if backed, could have had us fighting for the play-offs. But I wouldn't rule us out of doing that under LJ too.

Just now, tinman85 said:

Can't believe some of our fans. Why sing the bounce song? What has he acheived? Cotterill was out of his depth too but at least he won us a title!

I guess people don't take things so seriously as a few posters on this forum. Or don't choose to focus on constant negativity.

23 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'll be fair to Johnson, but it does rankle just a bit, that the bloke who gave us that great double season only got half a season's bash at it. AND the reason given was sacked due to poor results , where the truth is, it wasnt that.

People do have short memories , Cotts did great but by the end he had completely lost it and frankly had packed up, his interview after the Preston game was borderline paranoid , he would not have signed the players that kept us up ,not convinced he would have signed anyone , what's done is done but don't sugar coat what happened , good luck for the future Cotts.

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

You keep quoting these '10 or so constant negative posters' as part of some diatribe. Can you name them please? 

Look through every weekly anti-Johnson post and find the same 5-10 names that like the same negative comments made by eachother. Won't be difficult to find.

Yes 17th isn't that far below what I expected this season. I was hoping 10-14th so ok we fell a bit short. 

What I didn't expect to see was a run of 12 losses in 13 games. Plus some of our better players being banished to the bench while it happened.

I'm afraid that run and LJ's actions during and since have left me convinced he isn't up to the job. 

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

People do have short memories , Cotts did great but by the end he had completely lost it and frankly had packed up, his interview after the Preston game was borderline paranoid , he would not have signed the players that kept us up ,not convinced he would have signed anyone , what's done is done but don't sugar coat what happened , good luck for the future Cotts.

Not sugar coating anything. I'm only stating the official reason for Cotts going was bad results. LJ not had any bad results?

I've no problem with SL when he is HONEST

Just now, JHAGa said:

Look through every weekly anti-Johnson post and find the same 5-10 names that like the same negative comments made by eachother. Won't be difficult to find.

Equally those names are strangely missing when we do well! 

10 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Equally those names are strangely missing when we do well! 

No they aren't. They come out with "well done, credit where it's due".

Yer welcome me to check my history. Find anything contradictory and I'll fall over myself to apologise. 

Archived