IGNORED

Key positions to sort based on how we currently play

Flagon

Assuming LJ has found his way of wanting the team to play, for me the following positions are critical to sort in order to progress.

Keeper - we really need a commanding keeper who can effectively distribute the ball well with consistency. They all pull off decent saves but what keeper doesn't in any league. The distribution from all our keepers to the right and left sides though is often poor.

Right Back and Left Back - we tend to want our right and left backs to get down the line and supply crosses. When Bryan and Little are on it we do tend to play well and the last few games they've done this. A lot of the games before that and like today they haven't though.  All too often they are inconsistent. Little quite often bullies past the left back but struggles supplying the final ball and often has a poor first touch which lets down his initial link up play. Bryan's approach is just far too casual. I never feel he is 100% committed to a tackle, a cross or beating his man. It's like he just wants it to somehow open up for him without his own effort of making it happen. I really feel these positions impact our whole game plan and when they aren't on it it not only pressures our centre backs for obvious reasons but also the midfield to link our play together.

Centre Backs are pretty reliable. Should we lose Flint as rumoured I assume it would provide funds potentially for a proven replacement but Mags seems capable of stepping in so no immediate panic.

Striker - really goes without saying we are going to miss Tammy's ability to be in the right place at the right time and put it away. No one really knew when taking him on that it would turn out the way it did so it's always a difficult ask of anyone coming in to expect them to do it from the off but somehow we have to find that person.

Currently Matty Taylor is looking a shrewd buy, very busy player who likes to get involved in the short link up play with midfield. It's encouraging that he has got himself into great positions but he has missed these great chances so it's difficult to say that he will be reliable enough to score enough. However, see no problem with assist and support play.

Djuric, looks a real handful. Wins virtually everything that comes his way, decent at holding and laying off but not quite the pace of Tammy. I feel he is going to need it more or less laid on for him, which brings me back to the issue of the Right Back and Left Back problem we have in consistency of delivery.

Engval, a couple of short cameos so we really don't know what's going on here. Seems to be scoring well for his loan club which is great to hear though. Same with McCoulsky, prolific on loan so hope he can break through.

In the middle in terms of Pack and Smith we are generally ok when the wide players are linking well with the right and left backs. I don't doubt we could get better and we will need to recruit for some cover in this area but primarily we are ok.

The wide midfielders currently Brownhill and Patterson. Both of these have had longer spells recently and have done very well. Patterson has been very effective lately but then he seemed to be when he first started and then had a few games where he went awol before drifting out the side altogether. Similar thing happened with Brownhill. There is potentially a consistency issue again here though so I think we really need to be looking at these positions too.

So for me, it's absolutely critical a keeper, right and left back and striker are brought in. If the right players are available then the wide midfielders would be nice too.

For me its critical we get a foward and two full backs in as this is where we look weakest. 

We may need replacements for Flint/Maggers/Tomlin but other than that it would be nice to get a wide player in. Im all for giving O'Dowda a chance but I just cant see him being a regular!

We are now looking like an attractive feeder club after tammy so we have the option to go for a couple of young talents. Huddersfield and Barnsley have depended upon the loan system, I dont want that to be us but a couple couldn't hurt.

1 hour ago, Flagon said:

Assuming LJ has found his way of wanting the team to play, for me the following positions are critical to sort in order to progress.

Keeper - we really need a commanding keeper who can effectively distribute the ball well with consistency. They all pull off decent saves but what keeper doesn't in any league. The distribution from all our keepers to the right and left sides though is often poor.

Right Back and Left Back - we tend to want our right and left backs to get down the line and supply crosses. When Bryan and Little are on it we do tend to play well and the last few games they've done this. A lot of the games before that and like today they haven't though.  All too often they are inconsistent. Little quite often bullies past the left back but struggles supplying the final ball and often has a poor first touch which lets down his initial link up play. Bryan's approach is just far too casual. I never feel he is 100% committed to a tackle, a cross or beating his man. It's like he just wants it to somehow open up for him without his own effort of making it happen. I really feel these positions impact our whole game plan and when they aren't on it it not only pressures our centre backs for obvious reasons but also the midfield to link our play together.

Centre Backs are pretty reliable. Should we lose Flint as rumoured I assume it would provide funds potentially for a proven replacement but Mags seems capable of stepping in so no immediate panic.

Striker - really goes without saying we are going to miss Tammy's ability to be in the right place at the right time and put it away. No one really knew when taking him on that it would turn out the way it did so it's always a difficult ask of anyone coming in to expect them to do it from the off but somehow we have to find that person.

Currently Matty Taylor is looking a shrewd buy, very busy player who likes to get involved in the short link up play with midfield. It's encouraging that he has got himself into great positions but he has missed these great chances so it's difficult to say that he will be reliable enough to score enough. However, see no problem with assist and support play.

Djuric, looks a real handful. Wins virtually everything that comes his way, decent at holding and laying off but not quite the pace of Tammy. I feel he is going to need it more or less laid on for him, which brings me back to the issue of the Right Back and Left Back problem we have in consistency of delivery.

Engval, a couple of short cameos so we really don't know what's going on here. Seems to be scoring well for his loan club which is great to hear though. Same with McCoulsky, prolific on loan so hope he can break through.

In the middle in terms of Pack and Smith we are generally ok when the wide players are linking well with the right and left backs. I don't doubt we could get better and we will need to recruit for some cover in this area but primarily we are ok.

The wide midfielders currently Brownhill and Patterson. Both of these have had longer spells recently and have done very well. Patterson has been very effective lately but then he seemed to be when he first started and then had a few games where he went awol before drifting out the side altogether. Similar thing happened with Brownhill. There is potentially a consistency issue again here though so I think we really need to be looking at these positions too.

So for me, it's absolutely critical a keeper, right and left back and striker are brought in. If the right players are available then the wide midfielders would be nice too.

I agree with your conclusion on what we need so fully expect LJ to go out and sign 2 centre mids and 2 centre backs!!!! 

10 hours ago, Flagon said:

Good post, mate. Agree with all of this.

Archived