IGNORED

Trains n Boats n Planes ..travel yesterday .. your experiences?

WhistleHappy

Just now, cynic said:

Last minute change from getting the train from Keynsham, got a lift to the ground (well, top of Raleigh Road) instead.

Took about 20 minutes from Hanham and we got to the ground around 10.15.

Normal Sunday traffic - hardly any.

Not sure if it was so smooth coming from north of the river though ?

Oh, it's much easier to get a bus to AG from Fishponds, than to get to Eastville from Fishponds. Or from Eastville. That's why City get bigger crowds than Rovers. That's what that @Miah Dennehy said on here (once) so it must be true. 

:whistle:

Decided to try the train from Keynsham.

Train was due at 10:15, and the operator decided to cancel the service at 10:12 !! 3 minutes notice with no other warnings.

There was another due at 10:32, but that got delayed, and then got delayed a second time. It did arrive eventually before we had to walk from Temple Meads to AG. Got to my seat with 10minutes to spare.

Overall, not a great experience considering there wasn't a train from Temple Meads to Parson Street.

31 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Oh, it's much easier to get a bus to AG from Fishponds, than to get to Eastville from Fishponds. Or from Eastville. That's why City get bigger crowds than Rovers. That's what that @Miah Dennehy said on here (once) so it must be true. 

:whistle:

Except that's not what I said.

Fake news is very popular these days though :)

Train from Teignmouth to Taunton then the stopper to Parsons street. At WSM a load of Brum boarded leaving the train packed solid. 

At Yatton (I think) the guard said people could only get on if someone got off, as we pulled away I noticed at least one person in a City shirt left behind with about 40 minutes to kick off.

oddly enough, the only trouble I saw all day was arriving back in sleepy Teingmouth where a mass brawl was taking place on the platform as the train pulled in. At least 30 kids scrapping, many passengers too frightened to get off. Weird! 

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Set off ridiculously early from my folks house in Stafford. Arrived in 2 hours and parked up about 2 minutes from the ground.... Then had 2 and half hours to kill... Which when you can't spend that time drinking cider is a lot more difficult than I thought!

Journey home was a nightmare however as pretty much every 50 miles an hour section through roadworks had someone broken down in it. 

The M5/M6 going north is crap at the best of times but Sunday afternoons seem particularly bad, in my experience. 

Got the 0835 from Taunton all seats took by Weston with a lot of people standing, train was full by Worle, with people left on the platform at yatton and nailsea but at least for those lucky enough to be onboard it made a extra stop at parson Street ,

The return was a lot easier walked to temple meads and got a empty London to Plymouth train back,

GWR had plenty of spare train sets sitting round on a Sunday morning so am sure with a bit of planning that morning train could have been a 7 carriage HST

8 hours ago, Coppello said:

Got on a train at London Paddington at 8am. Thirty minutes into the journey they announced that the train would no longer be stopping at Bristol Temple Meads or Bath Spa and were advising people to continue on until Taunton and then get the train back up to Bristol. Safe to say that my journey was awful...

Was on the same train. Ridiculous that London to Bristol took 3.5 hours. But what really frustrated me was the lack of information provided by the the train guard. Passengers were having to tell him what travel options there were from Taunton to Bristol. He didn't have a clue  

Another city fan got off the train at Chippenham and paid £60 to get to AG. 

I suggested to the guard that as FGW hadn't got us to the station we had booked to in reasonable time they should meet the cost of taxis. His reply was it's not our fault blame national rail. Shocking. 

What with the bumper crowd, the 10k race, and the major roadworks, I was worrying more about getting parked somewhere than getting my head kicked in by the hundreds of Birmingham Zulus that were waiting for me in the Upper Lansdown. As it turned out I had no issues on either front. Left home near Radstock with Mrs Cider and the two little Ciders at around about 9am, headed for Ashton Court car park via Chew Lake and by 10am - with very little traffic and a scenic journey - we were parked up and walking towards the ground. For the lack of hassle it was worth the £4 all day fee.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

OP missed a trick here.

Thread should have been "Planes, trains, and automobiles"

I thought perhaps only a fool would risk using an 'automobile' in Bristol Sunday morning, more chance of using a river ferry from Temple Meads to The Cottage/Nova Scotia end of the harbour... and of course, (like most of us) SL would be using a plane :) 

Set off at the crack of dawn and trouble free empty motorways. Worried about getting across Bristol from the north due to road closures I left the M4 at junction 18 to hit the ring road via Wick. All OK until coming in on the Bath Road where somewhere my sense of direction deserted me. I then went on an obscure journey around Stockwood whilst getting back on track. I think I may have been away from Bristol too long!

What's that I hear you say - get a satnav. Rubbish satnavs are for pussies :ph34r:

Anyway parked up on Duckmoor Road and at Rorke's Drift by 9:30 for a bacon sarnie. Not so good getting back with problems on both the M4 and M25 - but that is normal.

The anticipated chaos made me change my usual travel plans and actually made my day even better.

Normally drive and park near the ground. Instead I left my car at my mate's house in Fishponds, got the bus to the centre and walked from there. There was a great atmosphere in the city because of the 10k, the sun was shining. We stopped off at the Buttery for breakfast before heading to the Tobacco Factory for a drink and the best donut I've ever had from a market stall at the back! In fact it was a great day out until the game started!

Caught the train from Worle to Parson Street and back again at 1511 both packed standing room only, wondering why I buy a ticket as i know loads don't bother as the trains are so packed they can not check tickets and the stations are unmanned so travel is free for loads.

Its the same throughout the country as I know that happens from Fratton to Portsmouth and Diss to Norwich,no wonder the railways are struggling.

7 hours ago, oldrosie said:

I've been waiting at Pilning for weeks for a train .... NTTDS when is the one train a week that stops there??

8:33am and 13:35 heading towards temple meads only on Saturdays, there isnt a train back. Less than 50ppl used it last yr. Use Severn Beach instead. 

16 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Also caught the 71,driver had to phone up to find out which way to go,didn't take much longer than usual in the end.Must say that most buses going down Glos rd had loads of City fans on them,it doesn't seem that the window lickers have a heartland anymore,we're everywhere.

Yes, I'm from Kingswood originally and all my mates were City. It's a myth that the North and East of Bristol are blue!!

:yes:

20 hours ago, bs3 said:

Some people are just thick. How could a bus driver not know the way to Ashton Gate. He would take a minute to look at the map and and plot this route via the Avonmouth bridge, it does beggars belief.

Perhaps he was possibly one of these drivers???

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/police-investigating-complaint-40-romanian-33899

13 hours ago, allyolly said:

Was on the same train. Ridiculous that London to Bristol took 3.5 hours. But what really frustrated me was the lack of information provided by the the train guard. Passengers were having to tell him what travel options there were from Taunton to Bristol. He didn't have a clue  

I suggested to the guard that as FGW hadn't got us to the station we had booked to in reasonable time they should meet the cost of taxis. His reply was it's not our fault blame national rail. Shocking. 

We get a shit deal with the rail- with infrastructure generally down here in fact.

13 hours ago, allyolly said:

We were due to join that train at Swindon...were told when we arrived at the station that it wouldn't be going to Bristol...so we waited an hour.

The combination of earlier kick-off and Sunday public transport makes it hard enough for the exiled fan...the 10k obviously took things to a new level!

But fair play to the taxi driver who got us to the Gate in time. He knew his way around south Bristol...

14 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Set off at the crack of dawn and trouble free empty motorways. Worried about getting across Bristol from the north due to road closures I left the M4 at junction 18 to hit the ring road via Wick. All OK until coming in on the Bath Road where somewhere my sense of direction deserted me. I then went on an obscure journey around Stockwood whilst getting back on track. I think I may have been away from Bristol too long!

What's that I hear you say - get a satnav. Rubbish satnavs are for pussies :ph34r:

Anyway parked up on Duckmoor Road and at Rorke's Drift by 9:30 for a bacon sarnie. Not so good getting back with problems on both the M4 and M25 - but that is normal.

You sound like my hubby until he went on a magical mystery tour one day on the way to Weymouth.

Google sat nav soon converted him.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:25, ForeverRed said:

Already posted this in the other travel thread, but here goes............

Caught the 71 to the Centre as planned and knew that it would be rerouted around Fairfax, Redcliffe Sreet and Coronation Road.

But nobody had told the driver, and he then took the bus up Park Row and down Jacobs Wells Road to find it shut at the bottom. Did a 3 point turn and then went back up and left into Clifton village, where we ended up going down Constitution Hill (not recommended in a double decker), to the bottom of Jacobs Wells again.

At this stage, everyone got off and walked!!

First Bus.......Please tell your drivers where to go!!

A double decker down Constitution Hill? I'd have paid good money to see that, although probably not to ride on it :o

Can we tell First Bus where to go?

Archived