IGNORED

1997 - 1998 part 2 video

1960maaan

Watching this yesterday and I wonder just how good Tommy Doc' could have been, I liked Matt Hewlett but may have been a little light weight but Doc was a terrier. Just not dedicated enough I guess.

My memories of that season. As before, please feel free to correct any factual errors I may have made.

A number of rule changes were introduced during the summer of 1997. Goalkeepers would only be allowed to hold the ball for six seconds, but they could now move prior to a penalty kick and goals could be scored direct from kick off. John Ward prepared for his first full season in charge at Ashton Gate by bringing in Terry Connor as Coach. The directors made £410,000 available for transfer spending, but both midfielder Paul Tisdale from Northampton and defender Adam Locke from Colchester were signed on free transfers. £150,000 bought Doncaster’s top scorer Colin Crambe and that fee was repeated for Wycombe defender Mickey Bell. Sean Dyche had captained Chesterfield to a F. A. Cup semi final appearance the previous season, but was now available for £275,000. The directors reached into their own pockets to enable him to be snapped up. Swansea striker Steve Torpey was also sought, but at £400,000 City could not afford him. Two days before the season began, Barnsley, who had just been promoted to the Premiership, paid £750,000 for Darren Barnard. The following day Torpey was a City player. Kevin Nugent went to Cardiff for £35,000 with more after so many appearances. David Seal went to Northampton initially on loan, but bought outright a few weeks later for £30,000 rising to £90,000 depending on appearances. Domestically the “GreenUn” newspaper was reintroduced.

The first fixture was at Grimsby and three of the signings made their debuts. Steve Torpey gave City the lead, but was stretchered off after 20 minutes with Colin Crambe substituting for him. The next away fixture was at Northampton where Crambe opened the scoring. David Seal equalised and then laid on the winner for Northampton. John Ward permitted him to play despite the game falling during the loan period. August saw two home wins, 2-0 and 3-0 plus a 2-0 defeat in the League. The first round of the Coca-Cola Cup paired the two Bristol clubs with the first leg goal less at Ashton Gate. During the second leg, Rovers star Barry Hayles gave them the lead, but City fought back and it went into extra time. Junior Bent ran through the Rovers defence and smashed a goal to win the tie. Blackpool bought him the following day. The second round was at Leeds who scored in the first half and converted a penalty in the second. Goodridge then scored to give City some hope, but Leeds cruelly scored a third at the end. The second leg saw Hasselbaink score for Leeds after 10 minutes but later get sent off. City rallied in the second half, but could not score a third goal and slipped out 4-3 on aggregate. A few days later City lost 2-0 at Gillingham and dropped to seventeenth position. That was the season’s low point as they won the next three games, drew at Walsall and then had nine consecutive victories to equal a club record set in 1954. Injuries gradually depleted the squad and the glorious run came to an end at Bournemouth in the F.A. Cup second round. In the League City were second, four points behind Watford, but eleven ahead of the third placed club.

The following week Scott Murray, a 23 year old midfielder with UEFA Cup experience, was signed from Aston Villa. Shaun Goater, City’s leading scorer with 13 goals so far, refused to sign a new contract when it was offered and was immediately placed on the transfer list. Two days later he showed his commitment by scoring at Vicarage Road in the table top clash, but Watford later equalised. All agreed the draw was a fair result and with the pack losing en masse, City were now 12 points clear of the third placed club at the seasons mid point. A Christmas defeat at Fulham was a temporary set back as the tenth consecutive home win saw City top the table in January. The first goal that day had been scored by Crambe after just 15 seconds. Watford resumed the lead when City drew a few games. The draw at Blackpool was particularly galling. Blackpool took the lead ten minutes into the second half, Matt Hewlett then scored twice. Two minutes from time Junior Bent scored his first goal since the September transfer. This was followed by a pair of defeats, the second of which was home to Gillingham. A week before they had won 2-0 at Watford and now they did the same at Ashton Gate. City got back on track with a 1-0 win at York and on March 14th, Scott Davidson’s birthday, City beat Rovers 2-0 and went back to the top of the table.

During March quite a few City players received international recognition: Greg Goodridge for Barbados and Shaun Goater for Bermuda, Tommy Doherty, who had progressed from youth to first team, was selected for the England under 18 squad and Louis Carey went into the Scottish under 21 team. Russell Osman and Joe Jordan had both tried but failed to sign Oldham forward Sean McGrath, but on transfer deadline day, John Ward managed to sign him on loan for the remainder of the season. 21 year old Jason Roberts also came on loan from Wolves. Manchester City paid £400,000 for Shaun Goater who had scored 18 goals and all three played for their new clubs on the Saturday. McGrath and Roberts contributed to City’s goals at Wycombe. Roberts scored in the next game and then disappeared without a word! There was a tournament taking place in the Caribbean and he was eligible for Grenada. City sacked him and the following season he joined the Rovers. On Good Friday Grimsby drew their game and City were promoted. The following day City lost 1-0 at Burnley whose fans gave John Ward a standing ovation. Tommy Doherty scored from 30 yards out, but was ruled offside! Nearly 20,000 filled Ashton Gate for the next game when Watford visited. This was billed as the Championship decider, but ended 1-1. City’s performances tailed off as injuries took their toll and Watford clinched the Championship on the last day of the season.

Great write up @22A , haven't read it closely , still at work. I think the disallowed goal at Burnley was Adam Lock, could be wrong mind. If I remember correctly there was some offside out by the touch line, shocking decision.

8 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Watching this yesterday and I wonder just how good Tommy Doc' could have been, I liked Matt Hewlett but may have been a little light weight but Doc was a terrier. Just not dedicated enough I guess.

Sat next to a Villa Scout once in Williams , had been watching Tommy Doc for them - his view was that he had the ability but lacked the pace for the top divison

Didn't help that he liked his smoke and a beer or two !!!

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Great write up @22A , haven't read it closely , still at work. I think the disallowed goal at Burnley was Adam Lock, could be wrong mind. If I remember correctly there was some offside out by the touch line, shocking decision.

Yeah it was Locke who scored the goal and Tommy Doc who was offside, out on the touch line clearly not interfering with play.  

I remember Chris Waddle, their then manager with his arms around the refs' shoulder after the game.   Burnley were fighting relegation at the time and it did make me wonder.  

Bloody cold it was too, esp given it would've been April.

It was strange because we were up without playing, Rotherham at AG in '07 was far more climatical.

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

A totally unfit shit side managed by Ward. Watched the homegame against Gillingham (h) on the 19th of February 1998 (0-2). Worse game ever watched. I was depressed and the last person leaving AG.

An unfit and shit side who won promotion.

Tinman, Goater, Bell, Taylor, Welch, Murray, Tommy Doc, Carey, Cramb - players who were loved by the fans and loved the club. Poor you say that as you went to 1 bad game.

I have said it fifty times now but when Benny took over he had to start pre season training during the season as players were unfit. Players throwing up a training having been out in Birmingham all night. Players complaining about having to train twice a day as it would disturbe their golfing. A Sunday League Club.

9 hours ago, 22A said:

My memories of that season. As before, please feel free to correct any factual errors I may have made.

A number of rule changes were introduced during the summer of 1997. Goalkeepers would only be allowed to hold the ball for six seconds, but they could now move prior to a penalty kick and goals could be scored direct from kick off. John Ward prepared for his first full season in charge at Ashton Gate by bringing in Terry Connor as Coach. The directors made £410,000 available for transfer spending, but both midfielder Paul Tisdale from Northampton and defender Adam Locke from Colchester were signed on free transfers. £150,000 bought Doncaster’s top scorer Colin Crambe and that fee was repeated for Wycombe defender Mickey Bell. Sean Dyche had captained Chesterfield to a F. A. Cup semi final appearance the previous season, but was now available for £275,000. The directors reached into their own pockets to enable him to be snapped up. Swansea striker Steve Torpey was also sought, but at £400,000 City could not afford him. Two days before the season began, Barnsley, who had just been promoted to the Premiership, paid £750,000 for Darren Barnard. The following day Torpey was a City player. Kevin Nugent went to Cardiff for £35,000 with more after so many appearances. David Seal went to Northampton initially on loan, but bought outright a few weeks later for £30,000 rising to £90,000 depending on appearances. Domestically the “GreenUn” newspaper was reintroduced.

The first fixture was at Grimsby and three of the signings made their debuts. Steve Torpey gave City the lead, but was stretchered off after 20 minutes with Colin Crambe substituting for him. The next away fixture was at Northampton where Crambe opened the scoring. David Seal equalised and then laid on the winner for Northampton. John Ward permitted him to play despite the game falling during the loan period. August saw two home wins, 2-0 and 3-0 plus a 2-0 defeat in the League. The first round of the Coca-Cola Cup paired the two Bristol clubs with the first leg goal less at Ashton Gate. During the second leg, Rovers star Barry Hayles gave them the lead, but City fought back and it went into extra time. Junior Bent ran through the Rovers defence and smashed a goal to win the tie. Blackpool bought him the following day. The second round was at Leeds who scored in the first half and converted a penalty in the second. Goodridge then scored to give City some hope, but Leeds cruelly scored a third at the end. The second leg saw Hasselbaink score for Leeds after 10 minutes but later get sent off. City rallied in the second half, but could not score a third goal and slipped out 4-3 on aggregate. A few days later City lost 2-0 at Gillingham and dropped to seventeenth position. That was the season’s low point as they won the next three games, drew at Walsall and then had nine consecutive victories to equal a club record set in 1954. Injuries gradually depleted the squad and the glorious run came to an end at Bournemouth in the F.A. Cup second round. In the League City were second, four points behind Watford, but eleven ahead of the third placed club.

The following week Scott Murray, a 23 year old midfielder with UEFA Cup experience, was signed from Aston Villa. Shaun Goater, City’s leading scorer with 13 goals so far, refused to sign a new contract when it was offered and was immediately placed on the transfer list. Two days later he showed his commitment by scoring at Vicarage Road in the table top clash, but Watford later equalised. All agreed the draw was a fair result and with the pack losing en masse, City were now 12 points clear of the third placed club at the seasons mid point. A Christmas defeat at Fulham was a temporary set back as the tenth consecutive home win saw City top the table in January. The first goal that day had been scored by Crambe after just 15 seconds. Watford resumed the lead when City drew a few games. The draw at Blackpool was particularly galling. Blackpool took the lead ten minutes into the second half, Matt Hewlett then scored twice. Two minutes from time Junior Bent scored his first goal since the September transfer. This was followed by a pair of defeats, the second of which was home to Gillingham. A week before they had won 2-0 at Watford and now they did the same at Ashton Gate. City got back on track with a 1-0 win at York and on March 14th, Scott Davidson’s birthday, City beat Rovers 2-0 and went back to the top of the table.

During March quite a few City players received international recognition: Greg Goodridge for Barbados and Shaun Goater for Bermuda, Tommy Doherty, who had progressed from youth to first team, was selected for the England under 18 squad and Louis Carey went into the Scottish under 21 team. Russell Osman and Joe Jordan had both tried but failed to sign Oldham forward Sean McGrath, but on transfer deadline day, John Ward managed to sign him on loan for the remainder of the season. 21 year old Jason Roberts also came on loan from Wolves. Manchester City paid £400,000 for Shaun Goater who had scored 18 goals and all three played for their new clubs on the Saturday. McGrath and Roberts contributed to City’s goals at Wycombe. Roberts scored in the next game and then disappeared without a word! There was a tournament taking place in the Caribbean and he was eligible for Grenada. City sacked him and the following season he joined the Rovers. On Good Friday Grimsby drew their game and City were promoted. The following day City lost 1-0 at Burnley whose fans gave John Ward a standing ovation. Tommy Doherty scored from 30 yards out, but was ruled offside! Nearly 20,000 filled Ashton Gate for the next game when Watford visited. This was billed as the Championship decider, but ended 1-1. City’s performances tailed off as injuries took their toll and Watford clinched the Championship on the last day of the season.

Grimsby at home said it all that year. I think they were 3rd, undefeated in 7 and 1-0 inside 5 mins. I think City went on to win 4-1. It was never in doubt from that point on. 

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

I have said it fifty times now but when Benny took over he had to start pre season training during the season as players were unfit. Players throwing up a training having been out in Birmingham all night. Players complaining about having to train twice a day as it would disturbe their golfing. A Sunday League Club.

That was the 1998/1999 season. 

Cant slag a City side off who have won promotion, it doesn't happen very often and a team who did the triple against the gas.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Grimsby at home said it all that year. I think they were 3rd, undefeated in 7 and 1-0 inside 5 mins. I think City went on to win 4-1. It was never in doubt from that point on. 

We scored our first goal inside 15 seconds I think. Probably one of the fastest goals scored in our history I'd have thought. 

20 hours ago, 22A said:

Sean McCarthy , 7 games 1 goal. I get why we ditched Roberts, but in hindsight not so clever eh?

16 hours ago, OutstandingMixer said:

We scored our first goal inside 15 seconds I think. Probably one of the fastest goals scored in our history I'd have thought. 

that Grimsby game is one of the most complete City performances I've seen, though I remember it for other reasons. Had been ditched by a devious cow the night before and was in pieces. That performance though showed me a light at the end of the tunnel! 

20 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

An unfit and shit side who won promotion.

Tinman, Goater, Bell, Taylor, Welch, Murray, Tommy Doc, Carey, Cramb - players who were loved by the fans and loved the club. Poor you say that as you went to 1 bad game.

I Ioved Colin Cramb...wholehearted, took no shit, gave it everything! Remember a game at Wycombe away, he'd been getting grief from some members of the City away support then either set up a goal or scored one himself (can't really remember...), he then ended in the City fans along the side of the pitch, immersed....he was completely fired up and loving it!

21 hours ago, 054123 said:

Pretty sure they were unbeaten in ten at least and so say posed a real threat to us. I think we were actually 3-0 up inside 20mins. We absolute destroyed them. For me that was when I knew we'd go up. 

Adam Lockes goal at Burnley annoys me even now. We did labour to throw away the title (not least selling Goater) but that result didn't help.

23 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sat next to a Villa Scout once in Williams , had been watching Tommy Doc for them - his view was that he had the ability but lacked the pace for the top divison

Didn't help that he liked his smoke and a beer or two !!!

Wasn't beer it was Guinness !!

Must have been his Northern Ireland roots!! Haha

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty sure they were unbeaten in ten at least and so say posed a real threat to us. I think we were actually 3-0 up inside 20mins. We absolute destroyed them. For me that was when I knew we'd go up. 

Adam Lockes goal at Burnley annoys me even now. We did labour to throw away the title (not least selling Goater) but that result didn't help.

To my mind this is why were are a parochial div 2/3 yo yo team. We never strive for the top. 

I was watching an Andy Cole programme the either and it struck me that we had a good team and a striker who would fire us into the prem if we built around him. Newcastle on the other hand were struggling. However one club believed they should be in the prem and forked out 1.75m the other slowly slid back to div 3.

31 minutes ago, Spoons said:

If my memory correct?? Wasn't the home game against Watford in front of 20,000 ruined by American football markings all over the pitch ? 

A very half arsed attempt at covering the extra lines , looked pathetic. 

36 minutes ago, Spoons said:

If my memory correct?? Wasn't the home game against Watford in front of 20,000 ruined by American football markings all over the pitch ? 

Yep looked awful. We should have beaten Watford home and away. We properly battered them in both games.  Took about 6-7k to VR if I recall correctly. 

Also that was the season we took 6,000 plus to Watford away? 

Also remember going to Oldham away on a Monday night? Possibly Tuesday ? Possibly on sky and Jason Roberts scoring. Having the discussion on way home thinking we should sign him for the £250,000 asked for. Then ruined by his strange international call up!! 

23 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

A totally unfit shit side managed by Ward. Watched the homegame against Gillingham (h) on the 19th of February 1998 (0-2). Worse game ever watched. I got depressed and was the last person leaving AG.

Utter bollocks!

Lots of memories from that season. The home win v Grimsby was a standout game, as were both matches v Watford. We took a massive following there and Goater's goal to put us 1-0 up was so well taken. He was a great finisher. We also thumped Brentford away, which is something of a rarity. At home against the gas we brushed them aside with ease, with a young Scotty Murray supplying the cross for Goater to score the second goal.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still feels pissed off about Locke's disallowed goal at Burnley. An absolute travesty of a decision.

It was a shame we couldn't quite get over the line with regards to winning the league. That game at Preston felt like it was a game too far - them going 2-1 up moments after we have equalised knocked the stuffing out of us and we never quite looked like clawing it back. I think Watford won a tricky looking game at Fulham that day so I suppose they deserved to finish top in the end.

19 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Also that was the season we took 6,000 plus to Watford away? 

Also remember going to Oldham away on a Monday night? Possibly Tuesday ? Possibly on sky and Jason Roberts scoring. Having the discussion on way home thinking we should sign him for the £250,000 asked for. Then ruined by his strange international call up!! 

I made a last minute decision to drive up to Oldham on my Tod for that one, arrived at Boundary Park to see the Sky cameras , and for some reason hadn't realise it was on live !!! :facepalm::laughcont:

Blow was softened by a comp ticket in Stand  and a half time beer chatting to The Goat who was there to cheer us on - Lovely bloke - was very torn at leaving City but admitted that the lure of a club the size of Man City was too good an opportunity

(Think I'm right in saying they got relegated from Championship (Was it Div one then ?) that season as we got promoted but they then got promoted as we got relegated and we never got to play them ! )

Roberts was a real handful that night and missing out on him was a massive error IMO 

As you say Ward got in a strop because he went away on International duty and he never appeared again for us as far as I can remember

26 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Yep looked awful. We should have beaten Watford home and away. We properly battered them in both games.  Took about 6-7k to VR if I recall correctly. 

We didn't take that many. I believe Adam Baker recently confirmed that the official away figure was just under 5k (around 4.8k I think it was).

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I made a last minute decision to drive up to Oldham on my Tod for that one, arrived at Boundary Park to see the Sky cameras , and for some reason hadn't realise it was on live !!! :facepalm::laughcont:

Blow was softened by a comp ticket in Stand  and a half time beer chatting to The Goat who was there to cheer us on - Lovely bloke - was very torn at leaving City but admitted that the lure of a club the size of Man City was too good an opportunity

(Think I'm right in saying they got relegated from Championship (Was it Div one then ?) that season as we got promoted but they then got promoted as we got relegated and we never got to play them ! )

Roberts was a real handful that night and missing out on him was a massive error IMO 

As you say Ward got in a strop because he went away on International duty and he never appeared again for us as far as I can remember

Snap , went with my old man we also didn't realise it was on sky. But were also given comp tickets! Not sure the wags fancied a night game in Oldham !! 

50 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Tramping through a muddy , near pitch black,  'path' at rear of their stand IIRC, seemed like bloody allotments - before the rise of H&S I guess

Archived