IGNORED

M Taylor - a poor waste of 300k?

reddogkev

Just now, reddogkev said:

I like a bit of humour, but in all honesty, I can't stand to see ex gas players in the red shirt.  When we signed Beadle, I was on the verge of disowning the club altogether.

I can respect the fact he left the gas to come here, but this also shows up his lack of loyalty and respect to their club and their sad group of fans.

As for Taylor the player, I doubt he'll ever make it as a decent Championship player, and I doubt I'd be able to celebrate him scoring with the same affection I would have had for Tammy, for example.

Nothing to do with loyalty.

If I was a normal teacher and I got offered a head teacher role at better money, at a better school with a better budget, it's a no brainer.

It'll be the same when Flint moves on or Pack moves on or whoever.

Can't blame the lad for wanting a few more quid to put bread on the table now.

16 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Nothing to do with loyalty.

If I was a normal teacher and I got offered a head teacher role at better money, at a better school with a better budget, it's a no brainer.

It'll be the same when Flint moves on or Pack moves on or whoever.

Can't blame the lad for wanting a few more quid to put bread on the table now.

Bread isn't that expensive! :blink:

Taylor clearly is a working footballer as opposed to a very talented one and since coming into the side as the second striker to Tammy, has helped to create space and to take a defender away from Tammy.

Matty had the only shot on target yesterday, a weak powder puff effort straight at the keeper from about twelve yards. At that distance and without any defender between him and the goal, the ball should have buried itself in the net.

However, looking forward, and bearing in mind that next season we will not have the luxury of Tammy scoring twenty goals, if we are to make progress toward the higher echelons of this league, we need strikers who are significantly more clinical finishers then Taylor. They will also need to be faster not only in movement but also in thought to outwit defenders.

Thus, and not being in any sense detrimental to Taylor, we will only stagnate in the lower half of the Championship with him and several others in the squad. If we have our sights set for real progress, we need to recruit better quality.  Or produce it via the Academy. 

I am trying hard not to dislike MT.
He plays on the shoulder, but doesn't have the pace to do it effectively. His first touch is poor in the extreme and goal attempts have been woeful.
That said, he works bloody hard. He has made space for , and taken the pressure off of Tammy. He presses and closes well and as has been said his assist record is good. I just hope he has looked poor in front of goal through trying too hard, maybe that cross town journey pressure has made him snatch at chances who knows.
It was an easy decision to make to buy him, £300k is nothing in todays market, and to get someone with his track record was a no-brainer. 
Whether he will prove to be a regular Championship goalscorer , I have my doubts. A lot will depend on who comes in to replace Tammy , Asombalonga anyone?

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

For me he is a better version of Kieron aggard . Not going to score loads of goals but works hard and can't argue since his run in the team the results have picked up.

£300,000 is a no brainer. 

Interesting comparison. I liked Agard's team play, but I never thought he really showed us the form from Rotherham, he was mustard against us.  Whether Taylor needs a goal or two to get going I don't know.  Been fairly impressed with his movement for a player who's come up through the leagues, but I'm not convinced he's a good enough 'footballer' in tight positions.  He's okay when he's managed to 'face-up' his marker and heading goalwards.  

Perhaps he's the barometer of LJ's ability to improve a player through coaching (along with Macca and Holden).  He ought to be a mini-project.

He doesn't look like a 15-20 goal man to be, but in fairness, he had lean spells with Rovers too.  Might be a streaky scorer, and needs one or two to get going.

Will reserve judgement til next season.  Might also depend on who he plays alongside?

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Taylor clearly is a working footballer as opposed to a very talented one and since coming into the side as the second striker to Tammy, has helped to create space and to take a defender away from Tammy.

Matty had the only shot on target yesterday, a weak powder puff effort straight at the keeper from about twelve yards. At that distance and without any defender between him and the goal, the ball should have buried itself in the net.

However, looking forward, and bearing in mind that next season we will not have the luxury of Tammy scoring twenty goals, if we are to make progress toward the higher echelons of this league, we need strikers who are significantly more clinical finishers then Taylor. They will also need to be faster not only in movement but also in thought to outwit defenders.

Thus, and not being in any sense detrimental to Taylor, we will only stagnate in the lower half of the Championship with him and several others in the squad. If we have our sights set for real progress, we need to recruit better quality.  Or produce it via the Academy. 

I think that is where I'm erring, but as above will reserve my view for a bit.  He can score spectacular goals.  A good pre-season and let's see.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I don't rate him, don't believe he's good enough for this level.  And even though it's not a lot of money for a football club, I reckon we've wasted money buying him (although preventing rovers from finishing in the top 6 was pretty shrewd).

He's far too slow, seems to have little ability, and so far, has not adapted to this level in terms of finishing.  Furthermore, I dislike City buying players from the gas, and I might be in the minority, but I can never shake the ingrained images I've seen of them celebrating in the blue and white quarters and subsequently, they forever remain tarnished.  With this in mind, I wouldn't even want him to do well for City!!!

I'd flog him back to the gas if I could.

Agree or disagree? Feel free to be vicious if you disagree, it's all fun!

He was in the team that got us out of the quagmire. This is not a coincidence.

he has done ok since he has come into the team, worked hard and certainly deserved his place, as for long term i am not sure he is of championship quality but i would certainly give him a chance next year to see if he can make the grade

Totally disagree with the OP, Matty is doing fine, never going to set the world alight but works hard, runs his legs off, takes a defender with him on his runs, has been a significant part of the revival and as Sparkz 76 said, that cross at Brighton ...........!

Yes he needs goals (been unlucky a few times) but with a summer and pre-season as a BCFC player could bring further dividends.

300K - worth it my book and it made deadline day headlines.

The OP is so far off the mark, MT has been absolutely fantastic for us since joining, granted he hasn't scored many goals but he has a handful of KEY assists and also his constant harassment of defenders has not only helped us but also took pressure off Tammy. I think he was an absolute steal and is improving with every game, his touch is improving along with his hold up play. 

For me, he will be a big part of next season

Just wonder if he's doing anything Engvall couldn't have, they seem similar types of players from the footage I have seen of Engvall - 

edit: Engvall seems to be a better finisher though... so really does seem strange with whatever is going on with him.

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't rate him, don't believe he's good enough for this level.  And even though it's not a lot of money for a football club, I reckon we've wasted money buying him (although preventing rovers from finishing in the top 6 was pretty shrewd).

He's far too slow, seems to have little ability, and so far, has not adapted to this level in terms of finishing.  Furthermore, I dislike City buying players from the gas, and I might be in the minority, but I can never shake the ingrained images I've seen of them celebrating in the blue and white quarters and subsequently, they forever remain tarnished.  With this in mind, I wouldn't even want him to do well for City!!!

Wasn't his signing classed as a champagne moment of the season?

For the assist to the goal against Brighton...  priceless.

We will find out next season how good you are at rating signings.

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

reddogkev - From what I've read & heard I have to disagree. By the reports MT's work ethic cannot be faulted. It's a big step up in a short time for him so be gentle with him. I feel confident he will put us on the score sheet consistantly next season as his progress through all grades indicate.

Also, it's not in my nature to be vicious mate.

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

:robbored:

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

2 Goals, 5 assists in 9 starts. Given our predicament at the time, you'd pay 300k for that alone.

Suppose you weren't screaming your head off when he put that lovely cross in on a plate for Brownhill against Brighton? Yes, I know he missed a decent chance in that game too. But at 1 nil up at a Prem team next year, I for one forgave him.

Have to disagree with you on this one mate, I want to see any player progress at our club, regardless of his previous clubs. Yes it's the Gas but let's be honest, are they really a rival? Until they are good enough to compete (17 years and counting next season) all they are is another team that plays in our City! Plus a load more other expletives, but most of all for me an irrelevant club.

At a time when we were in the bottom three, £300k for a striker banging in goals for fun in League 1 (which we have only just avoided being relegated to let's not forget), was a no-brainer. If we would have gone down, we'd already have a top and proven goalscorer in that league.

He will take time to adjust to the championship, just as some of our younger signings from earlier this season have, but his run in a settled team, along with others, has coincided with our good form at the end of the season. No coincidence.

If this time next season he isn't hitting 15 goals plus, then yes you have an argument. At this point, still very much needs time to adjust. A full preseason with the squad will do him wonders.

Would Rovers have gone up had MT stayed? If so some would say a good buy in that respect.

He does create panic and does have  a good cross and is tenacious- it's just the initial touch and the final product in front of goal is not championship std yet.

My point is we can't rely on him as a dedicated striker or even part of a pairing, he could support the front 1 or two. But that dodgy first touch is worrying and it will cause us to lose the ball and possession too many times at this level.

It's always hard joining a team in January, and from a rival city-wise if not league-wise. An such a step up, playing in bigger stadiums, bigger crowds and in a relegation scrap too.

Give him a proper pre season using our excellent training facillities and a fresh slate along with all the other players and let's see. He goes to me seem a more attacking midfield player as others have said, playing behind a front pair. But wasn't Tomlin meant to be doing this? He doesn't have the stepovers and flair of Tomlin but his assist stats look good. He must have been desperate to score but at times made the assist which I thought was honest of him. And as people have said the money we paid for him was too good to no proceed.

10 hours ago, Super said:

Didnt our form pick up with him playing up front with Tammy? Thought he did well despite the lack of goals. 300k is peanuts these days.

It's not just about transfer fee, what about his wages? He is on 5x what he was at rovers!

havent seen enough of him myself to judge, but this "he cost peanuts" argument is weak because he's Amongst the highest paid players at the club - which was a bit of a gamble IMO.

10 hours ago, Shtanley said:

300k and on relatively low wages. Lots of assists for a short city career. This was his first season above League 2 give him a little while to reach his best. 

Interesting you think he's on low wages? Relative to what/who?

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

It's not just about transfer fee, what about his wages? He is on 5x what he was at rovers!

havent seen enough of him myself to judge, but this "he cost peanuts" argument is weak because he's Amongst the highest paid players at the club - which was a bit of a gamble IMO.

How do you know what wages he is on? Be amazed if he is one of the highest earners.

Can only be judged after he has done a pre season I reckong. I have seen most of his matches, home and away, the level of performance can vary, I thought he was excellent at Brighton (albeit missed a sitter), Blackburn, Derby, but he was totally anonymous against Brum, not good at Brentford (then who was), poor first touch means he can be out muscled when challenged. He certainly needs to tuck away a higher percentage of changes. Who he plays alongside will also make a difference next year.

Lansdown probably found the £300k down the back of his sofa - money well spent.  Taylor doesn't seem to have done too badly so far, his record shows that he has stepped up to the mark each time he's moved up a league, so there's every possibility he'll do the same with you. 

11 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I think you must be watching a different player to the one i've watched .

3 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Lansdown probably found the £300k down the back of his sofa - money well spent.  Taylor doesn't seem to have done too badly so far, his record shows that he has stepped up to the mark each time he's moved up a league, so there's every possibility he'll do the same with you. 

I've heard a lot of talk of Lansdown having this sort of money tucked down the back of his sofa; can't believe he's so careless with his cash.

Personally, I don't believe MT will step up to this level; he doesn't have the attributes required.  He'll be back in League One next January, no doubt scoring against you!

Archived