IGNORED

M Taylor - a poor waste of 300k?

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

He's better than Agard IMO.

Don't get people slating him at all. Looks a crafty player to me, and really winds up and antagonises opposition defenders. You never know when that attribute could come in handy.

I agree, but ultimately he has to score goals.  I didn't watch him much when he was with the Gas - how did he get so many goals for them?  What sort of goals?

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I agree, but ultimately he has to score goals.  I didn't watch him much when he was with the Gas - how did he get so many goals for them?  What sort of goals?

Neither did I - had no real reason to! :laugh:

But he is a city player (for now) and a good one at that, so he has my full support.

6 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

He's better than Agard IMO.

Don't get people slating him at all. Looks a crafty player to me, and really winds up and antagonises opposition defenders. You never know when that attribute could come in handy.

To be fair, I'm probably the only one slating him.  I'd take Agard over him, without a doubt, but that's just my view.

I have 3 issues with Taylor:

1) I detest signing players from the Gas (irrational, maybe, but I just can't condone it).

2) We paid a lot of money for Engvall, I'd prefer him to get the time and training given to MT.

3) Taylor might be busy and a hard worker, but he's left his shooting boots on the other side of the city.  If we're going to operate with a smaller squad, we need a higher level of quality.

12 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't rate him, don't believe he's good enough for this level.  And even though it's not a lot of money for a football club, I reckon we've wasted money buying him (although preventing rovers from finishing in the top 6 was pretty shrewd).

He's far too slow, seems to have little ability, and so far, has not adapted to this level in terms of finishing.  Furthermore, I dislike City buying players from the gas, and I might be in the minority, but I can never shake the ingrained images I've seen of them celebrating in the blue and white quarters and subsequently, they forever remain tarnished.  With this in mind, I wouldn't even want him to do well for City!!!

I'd flog him back to the gas if I could.

Agree or disagree? Feel free to be vicious if you disagree, it's all fun!

You should change your sport

You do not know what you are talking about

He will get better

And we got better with him

Great signing

Just now, reddogkev said:

To be fair, I'm probably the only one slating him.  I'd take Agard over him, without a doubt, but that's just my view.

1) I detest signing players from the Gas (irrational, maybe, but I just can't condone it).

2) We paid a lot of money for Engvall, I'd prefer him to get the time and training given to MT.

3) Taylor might be busy and a hard worker, but he's left his shooting boots on the other side of the city.  If we're going to operate with a smaller squad, we need a higher level of quality.

If you can't see past the fact he is former gas, you will never be able to appreciate him as a good player - that's how I see it.

Football's a game of opinions though, if it wasn't we wouldn't have a forum. It's just on this occasion I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion on MT.

I will risk the wrath of the majority and say I agree with the OP. His finishing has been poor so far and his first touch is terrible - something which is hard to improve.

Yes £300k isn't a lot and he does work hard but I'm hoping we sign someone better in the summer who can get the goals we lose from Tammy.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Get. Over. It.  Our gain is their loss.  He seems a tidy player to me, plenty of room for improvement.  We'll always get our money back if it doesn't work out.  

I don't give a rat's who he used to play for, he's our player now and he's giving it 100%, so that's all good news.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Diddums. That's not an issue with him. That's your own issue. This would be irrelevant if we signed him from Rochdale/Oldham/Real sodding Madrid would it not?

Well known that Engvall has struggled to settle personally in the UK. Uprooting yourself from family and home to travel a few thousand miles would be unsettling for most people. He tried to adjust, couldn't, so the powers that be sent him back on loan and will probably try him again back in the UK in the summertime.

The stats speak for themselves. Every striker has barren times. Even Rooney/Shearer/Lineker had periods where the ball wouldn't hit the net.

2 goals and however many assists in a handful of appearances just 2-3 years after playing three divisions below. That's a huge learning curve and the lad is still on it.

Patience is a virtue. Give it a try.

11 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Totally disagree with the OP, Matty is doing fine, never going to set the world alight but works hard, runs his legs off, takes a defender with him on his runs, has been a significant part of the revival and as Sparkz 76 said, that cross at Brighton ...........!

Yes he needs goals (been unlucky a few times) but with a summer and pre-season as a BCFC player could bring further dividends.

300K - worth it my book and it made deadline day headlines.

I'd say he's had the chances 'to set the world alight', even if he'd only taken half of them.

I bet he's never missed a series of such excellent chances in his career before.

In some ways that's encouraging though - he's getting into good positions and the goals will surely come if he keeps doing so. 

The worry is he hasn't often been denied through great saves by better standard Championship keepers, on a number of occasions he's just missed badly.

As for his overall performance so far, not bad but I'm less impressed than some - his attitude is good and there's some raw talent for LJ to work on - but we'll have to assume he was signed with the belief that the coaching at AG could improve him and bring him up to Championship standard.

Bottom line is though he was signed to score goals and he really needs to take a better percentage of his good chances. If he does he'll be more than an OK signing which pissed off Rovers, and who we can bring on from the bench to replace a regular starter, he'll be a genuine bargain.

Putting aside the Rovers connection, Taylor's an interesting lower league signing with a great record who could either fade into the background with new signings or become a key goalscorer if his confidence in front of goal improves.

If he's a natural goalscorer -  yet to be confirmed - the goals will come at Championship level.

Very interesting to see which way it goes.

9 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Parallels with Jon Stead. A striker who may not be scoring goals but still makes a significant contribution to the team. 

Back in his pomp, Jon Stead could contribute anywhere between 10-15 goals a season at this level, as well as having an excellent first touch and strong technical ability.

I like Matty, but he's way off Stead at the moment IMO.

In fairness to Matty Taylor its a big step up from the lower leagues to Championship.

I think overall he's done pretty well considering he's also had some minor injuries to contend with.

His work rate & movement is good. He's snatched at a few and probably felt a little out of place but the cross for Brownhill's goal at Brighton shows just what he's capable of & I was really pleased for him for that alone to show, that indeed, he does belong here.

In my view he needs to work on his first touch, he also needs to be fitter and stronger. All this can be achieved with a proper pre season with us & I feel sure with better coaching we will see a better, more confident player next season.

As for others who have made their way from the dark side, I'll give you Peter Beadle. A very good centre forward who could link up with anybody. 

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Back in his pomp, Jon Stead could contribute anywhere between 10-15 goals a season at this level, as well as having an excellent first touch and strong technical ability.

I like Matty, but he's way off Stead at the moment IMO.

stead only ever hit double figures once in the championship and that was for ipswich

16 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Nah, I honestly don't rate him!  Interesting to know if I'm the only one!

No, don't think you're the only one. Probably others currently don't rate him but are willing to see more than 4 months or so. I don't rate him that highly for his ability to score (the stats can't lie) but he's added something to the team, something a bit different even if it is dropping off and receiving the ball to link up with others. Why we couldn't ask Tomlin to do that, I'm not sure. Tomlin would be almost prefect that far up the pitch, back to goal, getting free-kicks - as centre-halves upend him or swipe at his legs as he goes by - and setting others up in on goal.

However, we can't rely on Tomlin to chase and harry and annoy their defence and I wouldn't have wanted to ask Tammy to do that, either - prefer he save his energy for 5 yard-bursts of pace to get the better of defenders and score like v Huddersfield at home. Ultimately Tomlin or A.N.Other striker would probably score more than Taylor but, if we want to play this fast-paced, in-yer-face, hi-tempo game Taylor is, currently, your man.

That said (again), we've got money so why are we bothering buying a £300k striker. If we had bought, let's say, a Port Vale or a Northampton striker for £300k I think we'd view him differently in terms of his value. We may well be saying what was the point. It seems like many of us feel the point was denying Rovers some goals - are we crazy? Are we really buying players with that as the underlying reason? Don't be daft, surely not. At Champ level, shouldn't we buying strikers to score goals? Can we afford (not monetarily) to buy a forward who might not score many but will run about a lot? Isn't that more akin to L1 and L2? If Flint goes, we're possibly going to be worse off for GA next season, depending who we replace him with (Magnusson?), so, unless we get another 20 goal striker I ain't convinced we can just play someone up front for his work rate. No matter who he played for.

He looks a squad player to me so far, not bad, not good. See who we get in the summer....

4 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Can only be judged after he has done a pre season I reckong. I have seen most of his matches, home and away, the level of performance can vary, I thought he was excellent at Brighton (albeit missed a sitter), Blackburn, Derby (albeit missed another sitter and another one in another game), but he was totally anonymous against Brum, not good at Brentford (then who was), poor first touch means he can be out muscled when challenged. He certainly needs to tuck away a higher percentage of changes. Who he plays alongside will also make a difference next year.

Would that be fair? Either he's trying too hard or the step up is (currently) too much. The thought of a full pre-season is reason for hope. But if he's just an impact sub, you rarely score that many as one of them. 

Engvall can clearly score- hasn't he been the Swedish top scorer in under half a season there or something (I may be completely seeing things there). I think he's alright, admittedly on the evidence of the game v Hull, and I wouldn't be afraid to give McClousky a go, either. These two are scoring, yes at lower levels, but maybe they might hit the ground running better than Taylor.

I dunno, all in all it could be immaterial if we spend some money on a more established striker and he starts scoring from August. Another punt on a loanee is risky, no-one could possibly know Tammy would score 20+.

All in all, if we are scoring less next season (through having no Tammy) and conceding more (no Flint), we could be in trouble again. Every window is important but this one is critical, you'd feel.

Good thread - and little abuse at anyone for their opinion! Must be cos the sun's out (here in BS3 it is, anyway)

maybe this really was a propaganda purchase aimed at lighting some fires on the other side of bristol and deflecting from our own dismal state at the time - crazier things have happened. If so, it served its purpose.

If this was a football buy, which is probably more likely, then it feels a little unfair to be writing him off already on the strength of a few months. of course it's highly unlikely he will turn into a 20-a-season legend for us, but I don't think anyone expects that for 300 k. However, by the sounds of it we do have a very decent squad player that improves the side and gives us options. I don't think we can really dispute the price for that.

I would be interested to hear SL and LJ talk off the record and hear their reasons for this buy though - there's things about this move that still strike me as a bit mysterious. 

I really do wonder sometimes !  £300k is absolute peanuts.  Our form turned round as soon as Taylor and Patto got their starting places.  At League 1 level, Taylor was an out and out striker. At Championship level, he's a number 10 and has done a bloody good job of it too. He's not Messi, but his work rate is top drawer. He's aggresive and strong and has assisted some crucial goals over the past few weeks. I'd take him over Tomlin any day of the week in that position. I've supported City for forty years and couldn't give a flying fart whether any one of our players used to be Gas. If he knocks in 20 goals next season, I doubt very much that a single fan would care about his past employment !

18 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Nah, I honestly don't rate him!  Interesting to know if I'm the only one!

18 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't rate him, don't believe he's good enough for this level.  And even though it's not a lot of money for a football club, I reckon we've wasted money buying him (although preventing rovers from finishing in the top 6 was pretty shrewd).

He's far too slow, seems to have little ability, and so far, has not adapted to this level in terms of finishing.  Furthermore, I dislike City buying players from the gas, and I might be in the minority, but I can never shake the ingrained images I've seen of them celebrating in the blue and white quarters and subsequently, they forever remain tarnished.  With this in mind, I wouldn't even want him to do well for City!!!

"He celebrated when he was banging in them in for Rovers".  You need to ******* grow up

19 hours ago, reddogkev said:

You might not like hm

But if we put him on the market tomorrow we would get a million -fact

That in my world is tremendous business along with the fact we PISSED every Gashead off in the whole wide world!!! 

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I really do wonder sometimes !  £300k is absolute peanuts.  Our form turned round as soon as Taylor and Patto got their starting places.  At League 1 level, Taylor was an out and out striker. At Championship level, he's a number 10 and has done a bloody good job of it too. He's not Messi, but his work rate is top drawer. He's aggresive and strong and has assisted some crucial goals over the past few weeks. I'd take him over Tomlin any day of the week in that position. I've supported City for forty years and couldn't give a flying fart whether any one of our players used to be Gas. If he knocks in 20 goals next season, I doubt very much that a single fan would care about his past employment !

Think there might be one...............................

20 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Archived