IGNORED

2019 Rugby Union World Cup

phantom

• Admin

The draw for the 2019 World Cup will be made on Wednesday in host country Japan.

Twenty nations will take part in the tournament and will be drawn into four groups of five.

The 12 teams, including holders New Zealand, who finished in the top three of their groups at the last World Cup automatically qualified for the event.

They have been split into three bands based on their ranking, with eight more teams yet to be decided.

The All Blacks, England, Australia and Ireland are in band one, France, Scotland, South Africa and Wales make up band two and Argentina, Georgia, Italy and Japan are in band three.

The teams yet to qualify are in the two remaining pots.

One team from each band will be drawn into each World Cup group and England will be hoping to avoid a repeat of the their "group of hell" from the 2015 tournament when they were drawn with Australia and Wales, as well as Fiji and Uruguay.

England failed to progress beyond the group stages in what was the first time the hosts have exited the World Cup before the knockout phase.

The World Cup in Japan runs from 20 September to 2 November 2019.

The pots

Band One: New Zealand, England, Australia, Ireland

Band Two: Scotland, Wales, South Africa, France

Band Three: Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy

Band Four: Oceania 1, Americas 1, Europe 1, Africa 1

Band Five: Oceania 2, Americas 2, play-off winner (between Europe 2 and Oceania 3), repechage winner

Question will be how good will the South African's be in 2 years time? Could they be the preferable draw in pot 2 if the Scots keep improving? 

Again seems ridiculous the draw is being done 2 years ahead of time, if any of the pot 2 teams and Argentina go on a rampage for the next 2 years you could have the same situation as the last world cup. 

18 hours ago, hodge said:

Question will be how good will the South African's be in 2 years time? Could they be the preferable draw in pot 2 if the Scots keep improving? 

Again seems ridiculous the draw is being done 2 years ahead of time, if any of the pot 2 teams and Argentina go on a rampage for the next 2 years you could have the same situation as the last world cup. 

Argentina will be good at the next World Cup.  They seem to have developed the ability to play well when it matters.  The ones to avoid.  If we can draw Georgia and South Africa we'll be laughing.. 

19 hours ago, hodge said:

Argentina will be good at the next World Cup.  They seem to have developed the ability to play well when it matters.  The ones to avoid.  If we can draw Georgia and South Africa we'll be laughing.. 

Taking the current world rankings and my expert opinion on teams that I haven't seen play since the last World Cup into account, we could be looking at:

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Romania, Tonga.

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Namibia, Uruguay/Russia.

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, USA, Samoa.

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Fiji, Canada.

I have Romania taking the European place, Namibia taking the African place, USA and Canada taking the Americas places, Fiji and Samoa taking the Oceania places, Tonga winning the Europe-Oceania playoff and Uruguay or Russia winning the repechage.

This is the boring bit:

The European qualifier will almost certainly be one of Romania, Russia and Spain.

The African place would, you'd think, go to Kenya or Namibia.

As you say, barring a miracle the two Oceania places will come down to Fiji and one of Tonga and Samoa.

Likewise, two from the USA, Uruguay and Canada will almost certainly take the two American spots.

The playoff winner will be the second team from the European qualifying section against the third placed team from the Oceania section. You'd expect that to be whoever misses out between Tonga and Samoa against Russia or Spain.

The repechage is a bit more complex but I think it goes like this:

The loser of the aforementioned Europe-Oceania playoff match will take one of the four repechage places.

The 2018 Asia Rugby Championship winner, likely Hong Kong or South Korea, will play off against the 2017 Oceania Rugby Cup winner which includes all the remaining Oceania sides that I haven't already mentioned. The winner will take another place.

The second placed African team, I reckon Kenya or Namibia, will take another place.

The third placed Americas team will take the last place.

Just now, MichaelRobartes said:

Taking the current world rankings and my expert opinion on teams that I haven't seen play since the last World Cup into account, we could be looking at:

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Romania, Tonga.

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Namibia, Uruguay/Russia.

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, USA, Samoa.

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Fiji, Canada.

I have Romania taking the European place, Namibia taking the African place, USA and Canada taking the Americas places, Fiji and Samoa taking the Oceania places, Tonga winning the Europe-Oceania playoff and Uruguay or Russia winning the repechage.

This is the boring bit:

The European qualifier will almost certainly be one of Romania, Russia and Spain.

The African place would, you'd think, go to Kenya or Namibia.

As you say, barring a miracle the two Oceania places will come down to Fiji and one of Tonga and Samoa.

Likewise, two from the USA, Uruguay and Canada will almost certainly take the two American spots.

The playoff winner will be the second team from the European qualifying section against the third placed team from the Oceania section. You'd expect that to be whoever misses out between Tonga and Samoa against Russia or Spain.

The repechage is a bit more complex but I think it goes like this:

The loser of the aforementioned Europe-Oceania playoff match will take one of the four repechage places.

The 2018 Asia Rugby Championship winner, likely Hong Kong or South Korea, will play off against the 2017 Oceania Rugby Cup winner which includes all the remaining Oceania sides that I haven't already mentioned. The winner will take another place.

The second placed African team, I reckon Kenya or Namibia, will take another place.

The third placed Americas team will take the last place.

Cheers MR.

• Admin

Fixtures now released:

All times UK times

HOME NATIONS SIDES

Sunday 22nd September - Ireland Vs Scotland 08:45 

Sunday 22nd September - England Vs Tonga 11:15

Monday 23rd September - Wales Vs Georgia 11:15

Thursday 26th September England Vs USA 11:45

Saturday 28th September Ireland Vs Japan 08:15

Sunday 29th September Wales Vs Australia 08:45

Monday 30th September Scotland Vs "Play off winner" 11:15

Thursday 03rd October Ireland Vs "Europe 1" 11:15

Saturday 05th October England Vs Argentina 09:00

Wednesday 09th October Scotland Vs "Europe 1" 08:15 

Wednesday 09th October Wales Vs Fiji 10:45

Saturday 12th October England Vs France 09:15

Saturday 12th October Ireland Vs "Play Off Winner" 11:45

Sunday 13th October Wales Vs "Americas 2" 09:15

Sunday 13th October Scotland Vs Japan 11:45

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Fixtures now released:

All times UK times

HOME NATIONS SIDES

Sunday 22nd September - Ireland Vs Scotland 08:45 

Sunday 22nd September - England Vs Tonga 11:15

Monday 23rd September - Wales Vs Georgia 11:15

Thursday 26th September England Vs USA 11:45

Saturday 28th September Ireland Vs Japan 08:15

Sunday 29th September Wales Vs Australia 08:45

Monday 30th September Scotland Vs "Play off winner" 11:15

Thursday 03rd October Ireland Vs "Europe 1" 11:15

Saturday 05th October England Vs Argentina 09:00

Wednesday 09th October Scotland Vs "Europe 1" 08:15 

Wednesday 09th October Wales Vs Fiji 10:45

Saturday 12th October England Vs France 09:15

Saturday 12th October Ireland Vs "Play Off Winner" 11:45

Sunday 13th October Wales Vs "Americas 2" 09:15

Sunday 13th October Scotland Vs Japan 11:45

So England play in the extreme North, followed by heading South, Then North, Then South again. That'll be fun!

• Admin
1 hour ago, hodge said:

Still find it pointless how they release the matches this early. On benefit I can see is those looking at going out there can get an idea of the dates we're playing and book early. 

Compare it to the football world cup, still sorting out who's going there lol

14 hours ago, hodge said:

Still find it pointless how they release the matches this early. On benefit I can see is those looking at going out there can get an idea of the dates we're playing and book early. 

I'm planning on going out there for the entire thing. This early it gives me two years to sort out with my employer the huge amount of time off I'd need, and whether that is even viable.  I can also start costing and saving for the trip as well. Compare that to the Football world cup where there is no way I'd have been able to go for the whole thing unless I hand my notice in...which I'm not going to do.

World Rugby left looking pretty amateurish with France winning the 2023 World Cup despite WR endorsing the South African bid. 

Really disappointed that Ireland only got eight votes. The RFU indicated that they'd vote for us which means we've been shafted by the SRU and WRU (again). Clearly no appetite to take the show elsewhere since France hosted it in 2007.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/15/france-host-rugby-world-cup-2023

On 15/11/2017 at 13:33, MichaelRobartes said:

World Rugby left looking pretty amateurish with France winning the 2023 World Cup despite WR endorsing the South African bid. 

Really disappointed that Ireland only got eight votes. The RFU indicated that they'd vote for us which means we've been shafted by the SRU and WRU (again). Clearly no appetite to take the show elsewhere since France hosted it in 2007.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/15/france-host-rugby-world-cup-2023

I agree, all three have their merits, but given 2007, my choice was SA, then Ireland. Struggle to see however how Ireland could get the Stadia though for a World Cup. Croke and the Aviva, but after that, very few options. Would have needed some serious investment in Stadia that would maybe never be full again.

19 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I agree, all three have their merits, but given 2007, my choice was SA, then Ireland. Struggle to see however how Ireland could get the Stadia though for a World Cup. Croke and the Aviva, but after that, very few options. Would have needed some serious investment in Stadia that would maybe never be full again.

They were going to use some of the bigger GAA stadiums. With Croker and Lansdown Road to host the semi finals and final there would have been no problem at all. In fact, the total capacity would have been larger than NZ in 2011 and they certainly have no bother getting World Cups.

Obviously money talks and the French have a lot more than we do. I think it's a shame that the country which is doing more than any other to destroy international rugby is rewarded with yet another World Cup.

SA are a mess at the moment, and not just on the pitch. I'd back Rassie and Jacques to sort them out but I would be uncomfortable with them hosting tomorrow. I suppose they'd have had plenty of time to get their arses in gear.

57 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

They were going to use some of the bigger GAA stadiums. With Croker and Lansdown Road to host the semi finals and final there would have been no problem at all. In fact, the total capacity would have been larger than NZ in 2011 and they certainly have no bother getting World Cups.

Obviously money talks and the French have a lot more than we do. I think it's a shame that the country which is doing more than any other to destroy international rugby is rewarded with yet another World Cup.

SA are a mess at the moment, and not just on the pitch. I'd back Rassie and Jacques to sort them out but I would be uncomfortable with them hosting tomorrow. I suppose they'd have had plenty of time to get their arses in gear.

Forgot about some of those NZ grounds. I suppose I was thinking so much about England and France where we had some big capacity grounds, and using that as the standard. 

45 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Forgot about some of those NZ grounds. I suppose I was thinking so much about England and France where we had some big capacity grounds, and using that as the standard. 

If that's the standard then World Rugby might as well abandon all pretence and tell everyone apart from England, France, Italy, Australia and South Africa as well as probably Japan and the US not to bother applying to host in future. Their report was deeply flawed as well. For instance, it rated the potential danger to the public in Ireland and South Africa as being the same! It just feels like we were never going to be allowed to host and could have saved a lot of time and money if WR had been upfront in the first place.

20 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

If that's the standard then World Rugby might as well abandon all pretence and tell everyone apart from England, France, Italy, Australia and South Africa as well as probably Japan and the US not to bother applying to host in future. Their report was deeply flawed as well. For instance, it rated the potential danger to the public in Ireland and South Africa as being the same! It just feels like we were never going to be allowed to host and could have saved a lot of time and money if WR had been upfront in the first place.

Oh no, I believe you are right. First RWC I followed was 2003, so I've only really payed attention to 4 RWC, three of which had very big stadia, so I just assumed that was the norm, without thinking too much about NZ. If they can host one, then so can Ireland. 

The safety thing is a joke if the report said so. 

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

As my user name indicates, I live in France, although I don't follow French club rugby very closely - the odd Stade Francais 'special' match aside as they can be fantastic spectacles and are often a wonderful family occasion.

I am intrigued, however, as to why you suggest France is destroying world rugby. 

I am not disputing what you say, just genuinely interested.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As my user name indicates, I live in France, although I don't follow French club rugby very closely - the odd Stade Francais 'special' match aside as they can be fantastic spectacles and are often a wonderful family occasion.

I am intrigued, however, as to why you suggest France is destroying world rugby. 

I am not disputing what you say, just genuinely interested.

It's just the cash that the TOP14 is splashing around. For example, if you put together a team made up of South African lads currently playing in the TOP14 it'd be better than the current Springbok 15. That can't be good for anyone. It certainly hasn't done France any favours either, they are muck. 

Unfortunately rugby is becoming a bit like football. Teams like Toulon, Montpellier, Racing 92 and Sarries can get pretty much whoever they want in now. The curse of professionalism.

Don't get me wrong, I like the French and I love French rugby but I certainly don't love what it's become.

OK. I understand now, the new(ish) money although, perhaps interestingly, the local (French) rugby fans I know seem quite split on this. 

I mentioned Stade Francais in my previous post, and whilst some traditonalists may decry his brash flamboyancy (gaudy pink/Andy Warhol shirts, fireworks, scantily dressed cheerleaders) there is no doubt that Max Guazzini (and his money) revolutionised rugby in Paris when he took them over in the 1990s, carrying on from the equally outrageous Racing 92 who basically (and wonderfully) took the piss (drinking champagne on the pitch at half-time!) throughout the late 1980s/early 1990s. 

I wonder whether rugby would have continued in Paris without the injection of outside cash and showbiz.

Just as Rugby League (or Rugby à 13 as it known over here) is concentrated in the north of the UK, so is Rugby Union concentrated in the south of France, and it is only Stade Francais and Racing who play north of Lyon: if ever you attend a 6 Nation match in France it is quite revealing to hear the accents of the French supporters, almost all from the south of France apart from the corporate 'fans' of course.  

There is no doubt that money has changed rugby in France, and opinion seems to be divided as to whether or not this has been for the better.

Jonny Wilkinson is revered and still very much a folk hero in Toulon, and whilst I can only assume he was attracted initially by the money, there does appear to be great affection and a mutual respect between both parties (JW and Toulon) and the supporters, and I am sure that JW enjoyed himself immensely in the twilight years of his career, something that most likely would not have occurred without Boudjellal's cash injection.

Would Dan Carter or even your own Jonathan Sexton have come to Racing for the rugby alone?

Aaron Jarvis appears to be enjoying himself at Clermont, although I wonder how Rhys Webb is feeling. If he can no longer represent Wales, is that the fault of the money in French rugby or the the short-sightedness of Welsh rugby?

Ah Money, the root etc....

Archived