IGNORED

Squad analysis

Alessandro

Just a few thoughts about the squad, what needs strengthening, who stays, who goes?

GK: A major priority for the summer will be getting a new number 1. Frankie will be a good number 2, unless one of Lucic or O'Leary come knocking, but likely another window or season on loan for them.

Central defense: We should all be hoping Wright and Flint remain as our CB pairing. Flint could go, but will be tough to replace. Taylor Moore returns and hopefully he and Hordor will challenge them hard next season. I also imagine we may start seeing more of Hegeler at CB too. This area i'm not too worried about, provided we keep players, but may reassess in Jan.

Wing/Full backs: Matthews leaves and Golbourne may follow. Sorry but Little also has leave for me, Vyner should be worked in as back up in this position to a new RB coming in. On the left, I want to see Bryan further up the field TBH, so a new LB is also high on the list, someone like Rico Henry. 

Wide players: I hope we see more of COD and Paterson next season, plus Bryan could be pushed forwards. A wide right player needs to be added though so we can push Brownhill more centrally where I think he will be more effective.

Centre mid: Here we have a bit of an abundance of players, but none have really shone. Bobby and GON both seem to fade away. LT seemed too 'expensive' from a team perspective when playing 4-4-2. So we landed with a more 'solid' partnership of Korey and Pack. The problem with this pairing for me, is going forwards, because both are getting good 'final third time' but not, in my opinion, at their best there. Do they have the quality to unpick championship defense's regularly? Personally i'd be looking at another centre mid, unless Brownhill can become that all rounder, yaya toure type we need in the middle playing this way. I'd like someone like Erhun Oztumer from Walsall perhaps, although he is very attacking minded.  

Forwards: Obviously with Tammy leaving a huge hole needs filling. Ideally another European gem would be great, but another premiership loan would work, although they're never going to live up to Tammy, who was once in a decade quality. Looking forward to seeing more of Taylor and Djuric. Wouldn't be surprised to see two strikers in unless we have system where Tomlin can play-off a striker, but that hasn't seemed to happen this season.

In:

6 - GK, LB, RB, CM, WR, ST x 2

Out: 

Geifer - Little - Golbourne - Tammy - Dare I even say Bobby or Tomlin? 

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Just a few thoughts about the squad, what needs strengthening, who stays, who goes?

GK: A major priority for the summer will be getting a new number 1. Frankie will be a good number 2, unless one of Lucic or O'Leary come knocking, but likely another window or season on loan for them.

Central defense: We should all be hoping Wright and Flint remain as our CB pairing. Flint could go, but will be tough to replace. Taylor Moore returns and hopefully he and Hordor will challenge them hard next season. I also imagine we may start seeing more of Hegeler at CB too. This area i'm not too worried about, provided we keep players, but may reassess in Jan.

Wing/Full backs: Matthews leaves and Golbourne may follow. Sorry but Little also has leave for me, Vyner should be worked in as back up in this position to a new RB coming in. On the left, I want to see Bryan further up the field TBH, so a new LB is also high on the list, someone like Rico Henry. 

Wide players: I hope we see more of COD and Paterson next season, plus Bryan could be pushed forwards. A wide right player needs to be added though so we can push Brownhill more centrally where I think he will be more effective.

Centre mid: Here we have a bit of an abundance of players, but none have really shone. Bobby and GON both seem to fade away. LT seemed too 'expensive' from a team perspective when playing 4-4-2. So we landed with a more 'solid' partnership of Korey and Pack. The problem with this pairing for me, is going forwards, because both are getting good 'final third time' but not, in my opinion, at their best there. Do they have the quality to unpick championship defense's regularly? Personally i'd be looking at another centre mid, unless Brownhill can become that all rounder, yaya toure type we need in the middle playing this way. I'd like someone like Erhun Oztumer from Walsall perhaps, although he is very attacking minded.  

Forwards: Obviously with Tammy leaving a huge hole needs filling. Ideally another European gem would be great, but another premiership loan would work, although they're never going to live up to Tammy, who was once in a decade quality. Looking forward to seeing more of Taylor and Djuric. Wouldn't be surprised to see two strikers in unless we have system where Tomlin can play-off a striker, but that hasn't seemed to happen this season.

In:

Out: 

There will be more outs than ins I reckon.

For me...

Outs:

Little and Alby - wouldnt offer either a new deal but like others have said elsewhere, i'd have Alby in a coaching capacity he wanted it.

Geifer, Matthews end of loans.

GON, Reid, Golbourne, Tomlin - if a deal can be done to shift those 4 I'd be happy to see them go. Hegeler in January if he's not showing any signs of getting up to speed.

Ins:

GK, RB, LW, ST x2.

Joe Bryan gets a lot of criticism but if he's coached into it I think he could be a similar style left back to Danny Rose (obviously not to the same standard). He's good getting forward so I think that's how we should be instructing him. We have Pack and Korey who are better sitting deeper in the midfield so I think we should be getting two full backs higher up the pitch to give us the width we've been lacking.

I like Fielding, I think he's a good keeper who gets a lot of unfair criticism, but at the same time I've always said if we want to push on in this division we need to get a new GK.

Connor Ripley who spent last season on loan to Oldham from Middlesbrough would be a good choice if Boro let him go. 

I actually believe we should sell Flint if 5 million + is bid for him, we'd be stupid not to, and it would be interesting to see if Bailey Wright becomes better playing on his (probable) favoured side. 

If Johnson doesn't rate Moore, Little for me should get a contract,  we didn't manage to sign one, let alone the two we'd need if he goes. Johnson/Ashton has to make signing a right back a second priority after a centre forward. 

Bobby Reid should be told to find a new club, hes not really had a run & he's turning into the next James Wilson type player for us, people still think he's a youngster but he's 24 years old. He probably needs to move on.

Golbourne should also be told to find a new club, he's obviously not liked/rated by Johnson so no point in having him here. Yiadom from Barnsley would be my choice replacement. 

Release Wilbraham, no more jobs for the boys please. 

Marlon Pack has to be tied down for another 2/3 years this summer. He's only got a year to run. 

11 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I can't think of two players more dissimilar than the imperious 6' 2" Yaya Toure and the scampering 5'3" Erhun Oztumer.  You're having a laugh surely!

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Marlon Pack has to be tied down for another 2/3 years this summer. He's only got a year to run. 

Don't think it will be a popular view but MP doesn't rock me as much as he appears to for others

Hes 'ok' for me , has improved in the last two seasons and has 'decent' ability / technique 

But I don't think he influences games enough as much as he could , and as I say is 'ok' , 'decent' at times but if we are going to push upwards in this league I think he needs to continue and accelerate his improvement or we should be ruthless and look for a better quality replacement

I wouldn't be rushing to move him out but If he moved on , personally I don't think it would weaken us to any great degree

I know that may be a minority view but just my own personal view

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I like Fielding, I think he's a good keeper who gets a lot of unfair criticism, but at the same time I've always said if we want to push on in this division we need to get a new GK.

Connor Ripley who spent last season on loan to Oldham from Middlesbrough would be a good choice if Boro let him go. 

I actually believe we should sell Flint if 5 million + is bid for him, we'd be stupid not to, and it would be interesting to see if Bailey Wright becomes better playing on his (probable) favoured side. 

If Johnson doesn't rate Moore, Little for me should get a contract,  we didn't manage to sign one, let alone the two we'd need if he goes. Johnson/Ashton has to make signing a right back a second priority after a centre forward. 

Bobby Reid should be told to find a new club, hes not really had a run & he's turning into the next James Wilson type player for us, people still think he's a youngster but he's 24 years old. He probably needs to move on.

Golbourne should also be told to find a new club, he's obviously not liked/rated by Johnson so no point in having him here. Yiadom from Barnsley would be my choice replacement. 

Release Wilbraham, no more jobs for the boys please. 

Marlon signed a two year contract with a further year option in September.

Would love Yiadom here but he only signed for Barnsley last summer so can't see it happening unless we went in with silly money. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I can't think of two players more dissimilar than the imperious 6' 2" Yaya Toure and the scampering 5'3" Erhun Oztumer.  You're having a laugh surely!

You're absolutely right, I didn't mean to compare the two. Ideally i'd like both! As I said Erhun is much more attacking but he is not an all rounder, I'd love us to have one real quality all round midfielder that i'm not sure Korey or Pack will be at this level, especially going forwards, perhaps Brownhill could be that though. 

49 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

In terms of right back I think Saidy Janko would be worth a look. On loan at Barnsley from Celtic he looked very comfortable.

Also on-loan at Barnsley was Ryan Kent, he looked good against us recently IIRC.

On 5/10/2017 at 20:02, Alessandro said:

In:

Out: 

There's no chance Hordur is staying here as a reserve. LJ doesn't rate him and he's off.

Hordur is fighting Wright for that 2nd CB spot alongside Flint. In a better all round team you'd rather have Magnusson because he's a much better player on the ball, when you're down there and in trouble you'd rather have a solid traditional defender like Wright. Be interesting to see who's there come the first game of the season.

38 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Completely disagree.  I think Johnson rates him highly.

Out - Fielding, Little, Golbourne, GON, Tomlin, Reid, Wilbraham

In - GK, RB, CM, RW, 2 x ST

He doesn't. There's also no way Hordur is having any confidence in Lee after LJ's scandalous attack on him after Preston. Believe me, he's off.

13 minutes ago, Benni said:

He doesn't. There's also no way Hordur is having any confidence in Lee after LJ's scandalous attack on him after Preston. Believe me, he's off.

Is that an otherwise substantiated claim or just based off LJ attacking him?

Somewhere in Bobby is a quality footballer waiting to come out but unfortunately for whatever reason, we haven't found it. I have a funny feeling that if he goes elsewhere he could really shine and we may regret it. But I think his time with us is up and for the sake of his career, he should move on.

Shameful if true about Hordur.

He's clearly got talent and genuine potential to improve further; if we're not going to see that potential fulfilled at AG due, it seems, to poor man management, you can be damn sure we'll watch on enviously as he thrives elsewhere.

On 10/05/2017 at 21:02, Alessandro said:

In:

Out: 

Having a guess at those who want out and/or who will be made available, or could move because they are wanted by other clubs:

Giefer, Tammy, Golbourne, Little, Magnusson, Reid, Tomlin, O'Neil, Flint, Engvall

Wilbs will stay IMO.

Basically another substantial rebuild required, but probably with more outs than ins. Shambles.

Archived