IGNORED

Never Forget !

phantom

• Admin

Today is the anniversary of the horrendous Bradford City stadium fire

Will never forget watching the images unfold live on TV, really horrific sight to see

Saturday 11 May 1985, the day should have gone down in the history books as a day of celebration.

Following nine months of sweat and hard graft, Bradford City were to be crowned the Third Division Champions - their first piece of sliverware in 56 years. 

But it turned out to be the day which sent shock-waves round the world as fire engulfed the antiquated Main Stand at Valley Parade and eventually claimed the lives of 56 supporters.

11,076 fans were present at Valley Parade on that fateful day when Bradford City met Lincoln City in the Bantams' final home match of the season.

Over three thousand supporters were estimated to be in the main stand that day.

Prior to kick off, they had witnessed Bradford-born captain Peter Jackson being presented with the Championship trophy by the Football League's Life President at the time, Dick Wragg.

team1985 43

Unfortunately, the team's achievements were about to be tragically overshadowed.  

At 3.40pm the first signs were noticed and fire-fighting equipment was requested. Within four minutes the flames were visible and the Police began to evacuate people in the area of Block G.    

Match Referee Don Shaw from Sandbach stopped play three minutes before half-time with the score at 0-0 after having been alerted to the situation by one of his linesmen. The Football League subsequently ordered the scoreline at the time of the abandonment to remain.    

What followed will live in the memory forever.    

The events of the fire in the main stand resulted in 56 supporters tragically dying and approximately 265 injured.    

Reaction to the horror was instant with messages of sympathy arriving from the Queen, the Pope, the Prime Minister, Church leaders and a host of political figures from around the globe.    

According to forensic scientist Dr. David Woolley, the main cause of the fire was possibly the accidental dropping of a match or a cigarette stubbed out in a polystyrene cup.    

It was described as the worst fire disaster in the history of British football and the worst stadium disaster in Britain since 65 supporters perished at Ibrox in January 1971 at the end of a Rangers vs Celtic 'derby' fixture.    

On the instructions announced in the House of Commons by the Home Secretary, Leon Brittan, a seven day hearing was conducted at City Hall in Bradford from 5 June 1985. 

Statements from 77 witnesses were heard by appointed High Court Judge, Oliver Popplewell (sitting as Mr. Justice Popplewell) following a preliminary session on 23 May 1985.

His interim blueprint on the findings, collated with the help of two assessors, was published on 24 July 1985.

valleyparadeclassic43

The tragedy unwittingly brought about new legislation governing safety at the nation's sports grounds and stadia.

This was a move felt long overdue by many in view of some of the antiquated wooden stands that had been in use for decades, especially in the lower divisions. 

It also undoubtedly brought about an unprecedented united community spirit in Bradford, buoyed by world-wide messages of condolence and monetary contributions from a host of public events.

The majority of the funding went towards a Bradford Disaster Appeal Fund (83% of the total, amounting to £3.35m, distributed to sufferers in November 1985) and a return to a new Valley Parade stadium.

Following the disaster, Bradford City had to play all their 'home' League and Cup fixtures for the whole of the 1985/86 season and the first half of the following season at their adopted grounds of Bradford Northern RLFC (now Bradford Bulls) at Odsal Stadium in Bradford, Huddersfield Town (Leeds Road) and Leeds United (Elland Road).
The dream of returning to Valley Parade though, came to fruition on 14 December 1986 with an emotionally charged commemorative fixture against an England X1, before a 15,000 full-house when Bradford City triumphed by a 2-1 scoreline.

The 56 who will never be forgotten.

Below are the 56 supporters who went to Valley Parade on 11 May 1985 to enjoy a football match and never left. Always remembered.   

[Official list as released to the National Press]

ACKROYD, John Douglas

Baildon
ANDERTON, Edmund 68 Bingley
BAINES, Alexander Shaw 70 Bradford
BAMFORD, Herbert 72 Bradford
BULMER, Christopher James 11 Burley-in-Wharfedale
COXON, Jack Leo 76 Bradford
COXON, Leo Anthony 44 Halifax
CRABTREE, David James 30 Bradford
CRABTREE, Harry 76 Bradford
DEMPSEY, Derek 46 Morley
FIRTH, Muriel 56 Baildon
FIRTH, Samuel 86 Bradford
FLETCHER, Andrew 11 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FLETCHER, Edmond 63 Pudsey
FLETCHER, John 34 East Bridgford, Nottingham
FLETCHER, Peter 32 Gildersome
FORSTER, Nellie 64 Bradford
GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear 13 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Peter 46 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict 11 Denholme
HALL, Norman 71 Bradford
HALLIDAY, Peter Anthony 34 Bradford
HARTLEY, Arthur 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Edith 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Frederick 76 Bradford
HODGSON, Moira Helen 15 Oakenshaw
HUDSON, Eric 72 Bingley
HUGHES, John 64 Bradford
HUTTON, John 74 Bradford
KERR, Walter 76 Bradford
LOVELL, Peter Charles 43 Bradford
LUDLAM, Jack 55 Bradford
McPHERSON, Gordon Stuart 39 Bradford
McPHERSON, Irene 28 Bradford
MASON, Roy 74 Silsden
MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman 84 Bradford
MITCHELL, Harold 79 Bradford
MUHL, Elizabeth 21 Leeds
NORMINGTON, Ernest 74 Shipley
ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley 40 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Richard John 12 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian 12 Bingley
POLLARD, Sylvia Lund 69 Bradford
PRICE, Herbert 78 Shipley
ROBERTS, Amanda Jayne 20 Bradford
SAMPSON, Jane 18 Leeds
STACEY, William 72 Sleaford, Lincolnshire
STOCKMAN, Craig Albert 14 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Jane Ashley 16 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Trevor John 38 Brighouse
TURNER, Howard Malcolm 41 Bingley
TURNER, Sarah Elizabeth 16 Bingley
WARD, Simon Neil 18 Shipley
WEDGEWORTH, Robert 72 Guiseley
WEST, William James 78 North Hykeham, Lincoln
WRIGHT, Adrian Mark 11

Bradford

I think anyone of the OTIB family could post on here our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to the supporters of Bradford City, the club, the families and supporters touched by the tragedy....and lest we should never forget those supporters, young and old, who went to enjoy the simple pleasure of a football match, yet never returned.

RIP to those who perished. The football community never forgets.

It could be argued that H&S regulations have gone too far in sanitising the beautiful game, extreme incidents such as these could be used as a very valid counter-argument.  

I honestly think we should bring back the minutes silence (not clapping), as no words or noise seem appropriate enough. 

Abide with Me.

Always amazes me that this doesn't get more coverage, it's almost an afterthought compared to Hillsborough

In my head Grandstand had cameras at the game and they were showing it live, then realised just how serious the fire was becoming and quickly went back to Des Lynam in the studio, anyone else remember??

Got one of those unexplainable soft spots for Bradford City - never forget

A truely hoffific event. RIP all those who lost their lives at a game of football that day. 

If anybody hasn't seen the footage, it's worth watching. I've seen it numerous times on fire training courses and every time it is really quite shocking. 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Always amazes me that this doesn't get more coverage, it's almost an afterthought compared to Hillsborough

In my head Grandstand had cameras at the game and they were showing it live, then realised just how serious the fire was becoming and quickly went back to Des Lynam in the studio, anyone else remember??

Yes it was - the coverage from the programme is on youtube (at work and it's blocked so can't link it)

In my last job we had to do a mandatory fire awareness training course carried out by Glos Fire Service. They showed us stuff from Bradford that was not broadcast - it was truly horrific. And like the Pals battalions from WW1 , there are so many of the same surname and town/village on the roll of those who perished. Very,very sad.

52 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yes, I totally agree, went to watch City get a creditable 1 - 1 draw just a month or two before this happened, and it came as such a shock.

I always hope the best for Bradford after that.

RIP

18 minutes ago, harry may said:

In my last job we had to do a mandatory fire awareness training course carried out by Glos Fire Service. They showed us stuff from Bradford that was not broadcast - it was truly horrific. And like the Pals battalions from WW1 , there are so many of the same surname and town/village on the roll of those who perished. Very,very sad.

They used this quite often in fire training, I went to one in Bedminster years back staggering watching it how quickly it spread. Never been in a room of people so silent before.

At a "Fire Awareness" course at work we were shown film of that fire to emphasise how quickly it spread. 

Those spectators stood on terracing to the sides of the stand were able to comfortably move away. Those who  had been sat in the stand had difficulty in moving freely because of the seat legs etc.

Lincoln were the visitors that day and one of their fans sadly perished. On the last day of the following season, Lincoln were relegated to Div 4 and 12 months later were relegated again to the Conference. One more point in 1987 and Burnley, not Lincoln would have dropped out of the League.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

It's shocking really.

I'm not at all comparing the tragedy of the two events or saying that one is worse than the other, but whenever the Hillsborough anniversary comes around, you hear about nothing else for a few days.

Today on the BBC football page the Bradford story is the 6th highest story, put there as an afterthought. It's absolutely shocking that the BBC and other outlets give less attention to this purely because Bradford are a 'smaller' club.

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

Today on the BBC football page the Bradford story is the 6th highest story, put there as an afterthought. It's absolutely shocking that the BBC and other outlets give less attention to this purely because Bradford are a 'smaller' club.

Back in1985, it was only Yorkshire TV who had cameras there as that match was going to feature on the regional Sunday afternoon highlights programme.

Thanks Phantom for posting this. We should never forget what happened to our fellow football supporters that day. We go to see our team to have a good afternoon out and our loved ones expect to see us come home either moaning or on cloud nine, our thoughts must still be with those families whose loved ones did not return that day, may they take strength in knowing others still feel for them in the football family. RIP

Thanks Phantom. One shouldn't try to compare different tragedies in football and Hillsborough was nothing like Bradford. Linked to Hillsborough of course (by the same set of fans) was Heysel which also seems to be forgotten, especially by those on Merseyside.

Today though is respect to those families from Bradford.

Good post Mon ami

• Admin
On Thu May 11 2017 at 13:54, 22A said:

Back in1985, it was only Yorkshire TV who had cameras there as that match was going to feature on the regional Sunday afternoon highlights programme.

This is the original YTV recording.

If you haven't seen this footage before please be aware there are UPSETTING SCENES. Even now watching it back it's emotionally really hard to watch 

https://youtu.be/v6iTSAwGo1Y

I remember going there for a cup game on a night time a while after. Think we scored very early and from then on just wanted the game to end. All I could do is look at the newly built stand the images I saw on the TV were going through my head. 

I never found out about it until the Sunday morning. We played Reading (?) at home on the Saturday and I headed off with the then Mrs RRH for a couple of days in a cottage in Tintern straight afterwards - no car radio, no mobiles in them days.

I could not believe it when I saw the Sunday papers, it left me feeling sick inside.

RIP to all those who perished and strength to those who they left behind.

One thing is for sure, we will never forget.

On 11/05/2017 at 10:15, phantom said:

Today is the anniversary of the horrendous Bradford City stadium fire

Will never forget watching the images unfold live on TV, really horrific sight to see

Saturday 11 May 1985, the day should have gone down in the history books as a day of celebration.

Following nine months of sweat and hard graft, Bradford City were to be crowned the Third Division Champions - their first piece of sliverware in 56 years. 

But it turned out to be the day which sent shock-waves round the world as fire engulfed the antiquated Main Stand at Valley Parade and eventually claimed the lives of 56 supporters.

11,076 fans were present at Valley Parade on that fateful day when Bradford City met Lincoln City in the Bantams' final home match of the season.

Over three thousand supporters were estimated to be in the main stand that day.

Prior to kick off, they had witnessed Bradford-born captain Peter Jackson being presented with the Championship trophy by the Football League's Life President at the time, Dick Wragg.

team1985 43

Unfortunately, the team's achievements were about to be tragically overshadowed.  

At 3.40pm the first signs were noticed and fire-fighting equipment was requested. Within four minutes the flames were visible and the Police began to evacuate people in the area of Block G.    

Match Referee Don Shaw from Sandbach stopped play three minutes before half-time with the score at 0-0 after having been alerted to the situation by one of his linesmen. The Football League subsequently ordered the scoreline at the time of the abandonment to remain.    

What followed will live in the memory forever.    

The events of the fire in the main stand resulted in 56 supporters tragically dying and approximately 265 injured.    

Reaction to the horror was instant with messages of sympathy arriving from the Queen, the Pope, the Prime Minister, Church leaders and a host of political figures from around the globe.    

According to forensic scientist Dr. David Woolley, the main cause of the fire was possibly the accidental dropping of a match or a cigarette stubbed out in a polystyrene cup.    

It was described as the worst fire disaster in the history of British football and the worst stadium disaster in Britain since 65 supporters perished at Ibrox in January 1971 at the end of a Rangers vs Celtic 'derby' fixture.    

On the instructions announced in the House of Commons by the Home Secretary, Leon Brittan, a seven day hearing was conducted at City Hall in Bradford from 5 June 1985. 

Statements from 77 witnesses were heard by appointed High Court Judge, Oliver Popplewell (sitting as Mr. Justice Popplewell) following a preliminary session on 23 May 1985.

His interim blueprint on the findings, collated with the help of two assessors, was published on 24 July 1985.

valleyparadeclassic43

The tragedy unwittingly brought about new legislation governing safety at the nation's sports grounds and stadia.

This was a move felt long overdue by many in view of some of the antiquated wooden stands that had been in use for decades, especially in the lower divisions. 

It also undoubtedly brought about an unprecedented united community spirit in Bradford, buoyed by world-wide messages of condolence and monetary contributions from a host of public events.

The majority of the funding went towards a Bradford Disaster Appeal Fund (83% of the total, amounting to £3.35m, distributed to sufferers in November 1985) and a return to a new Valley Parade stadium.

Following the disaster, Bradford City had to play all their 'home' League and Cup fixtures for the whole of the 1985/86 season and the first half of the following season at their adopted grounds of Bradford Northern RLFC (now Bradford Bulls) at Odsal Stadium in Bradford, Huddersfield Town (Leeds Road) and Leeds United (Elland Road).
The dream of returning to Valley Parade though, came to fruition on 14 December 1986 with an emotionally charged commemorative fixture against an England X1, before a 15,000 full-house when Bradford City triumphed by a 2-1 scoreline.

The 56 who will never be forgotten.

Below are the 56 supporters who went to Valley Parade on 11 May 1985 to enjoy a football match and never left. Always remembered.   

[Official list as released to the National Press]

ACKROYD, John Douglas

Baildon
ANDERTON, Edmund 68 Bingley
BAINES, Alexander Shaw 70 Bradford
BAMFORD, Herbert 72 Bradford
BULMER, Christopher James 11 Burley-in-Wharfedale
COXON, Jack Leo 76 Bradford
COXON, Leo Anthony 44 Halifax
CRABTREE, David James 30 Bradford
CRABTREE, Harry 76 Bradford
DEMPSEY, Derek 46 Morley
FIRTH, Muriel 56 Baildon
FIRTH, Samuel 86 Bradford
FLETCHER, Andrew 11 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FLETCHER, Edmond 63 Pudsey
FLETCHER, John 34 East Bridgford, Nottingham
FLETCHER, Peter 32 Gildersome
FORSTER, Nellie 64 Bradford
GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear 13 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Peter 46 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict 11 Denholme
HALL, Norman 71 Bradford
HALLIDAY, Peter Anthony 34 Bradford
HARTLEY, Arthur 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Edith 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Frederick 76 Bradford
HODGSON, Moira Helen 15 Oakenshaw
HUDSON, Eric 72 Bingley
HUGHES, John 64 Bradford
HUTTON, John 74 Bradford
KERR, Walter 76 Bradford
LOVELL, Peter Charles 43 Bradford
LUDLAM, Jack 55 Bradford
McPHERSON, Gordon Stuart 39 Bradford
McPHERSON, Irene 28 Bradford
MASON, Roy 74 Silsden
MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman 84 Bradford
MITCHELL, Harold 79 Bradford
MUHL, Elizabeth 21 Leeds
NORMINGTON, Ernest 74 Shipley
ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley 40 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Richard John 12 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian 12 Bingley
POLLARD, Sylvia Lund 69 Bradford
PRICE, Herbert 78 Shipley
ROBERTS, Amanda Jayne 20 Bradford
SAMPSON, Jane 18 Leeds
STACEY, William 72 Sleaford, Lincolnshire
STOCKMAN, Craig Albert 14 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Jane Ashley 16 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Trevor John 38 Brighouse
TURNER, Howard Malcolm 41 Bingley
TURNER, Sarah Elizabeth 16 Bingley
WARD, Simon Neil 18 Shipley
WEDGEWORTH, Robert 72 Guiseley
WEST, William James 78 North Hykeham, Lincoln
WRIGHT, Adrian Mark 11

Bradford

So many families and young kids, 

A truly horrendous tragedy

RIP - Should never go to match and not return. 

A friend of mine was there and in his usual place at the open end with the fire to his right hand side. As the fire took hold some went to the front, which was fenced, and managed to get out. Those that went to the back of the stand to the entrances (the stand was on a steep slope) found locked doors and no way out. My friend saw one old man trying to get out but not being fast enough to beat the flames. In the end, he realised that he wasn't going to get out and just sat down and waited for the flames to take him. Imagine seeing that at a Saturday afternoon's football? That image has never left my mate after all these years, it never will and he still finds it difficult to talk about. For Bradford, Hillsborough and all the others - never again.

Barnsley played Bradford away on the last day of the season 2 years ago, a couple of days before the 30th anniversary and I felt compelled to go half an hour early so I could spend some time at the memorial, something I have done several times over the years when we play them. I always find it incredibly moving.

Like someone mentioned above, the thing that gets you is the multiple names with the same surname and their ages. I am not going to pick out names but 3 of them are clearly a father and his 2 young sons. Imagine, you wave your husband and kids off and none of them come home. Bloody hell.

I can't watch the footage without being shocked all over again, every single time, at the speed with which it took hold once it hit the roof. The whole thing took 4 minutes from the point the game stopped to the point the stand was gone. 4 minutes!

Saw an interview some years ago with John Helm, the commentator on the day about how much it affected him. He has never been able to watch the footage back.

We have had a bit of a soft spot for Bradford at Barnsley, not just in solidarity in relation to the fire but due to how fantastic their fans were on the day we were promoted to the Premier League in 97. They really needed something from that game themselves to stay up but really joined the celebrations with us. Many of our fans went to their game in hand the following Tuesday as a result, which they won to stay up. I certainly know who I am rooting for in the Play off final.

I find it very sad that it never gets the coverage that it should.

Archived