IGNORED

Keeper next season

Super

This has been a problem position for a while now, I don't think any of the keepers I have seen this season are that good. All the good teams have a top keeper certainly needs addressing this summer and preferably one who can kick properly!

I'd be fine if we went with Frank who I'd say has just had his best season for us. I'm not against bringing someone in as long as they are better than him. We've brought in several keepers over the last few years, none of whom were as good as him so if we do bring someone in I'd hope that it'd be an upgrade this time!

Just now, Garland-sweden said:

Think Fielding got better. When the back four works most of the time also gk works. Our defence have been weak most of the season. Never seen Giefer but I think FF will be our nr1 next season.

Made some saves on Sunday but his kicking is shocking.

Someone posted a stat, when fielding has the ball we have a 65% chance of losing possession. We can do without that sort of pressure for no reason - so either he needs to work hard on his distribution/kicking or we need a replacement.

Unless we push the boat out for an expensive top quality keeper, we may as well stick with FF and spend money elsewhere in the squad like right back and goalscoring striker. Even a midfield goalscorer to boost out goals for.

We have three young and promising keepers in Lucic, O'Leary and Wollacott so they should be adequate as subs.

Would be a hard deal to get done but I'd make a 3-4 million pound bid for Daniel Bentley at Brentford.

They only got him last summer, but he's the type of high quality signing that I'd like us to make for the coming season. I'd rather we spent that sort of money on 4 really strong 'Championship ready players, than smaller amounts on 'up & coming youngsters' from league 2 etc. 

Fielding is very dodgy coming for crosses and his kicking is horrendous. Other than that, he's a decent keeper at this level. Like Kingswoodactor said, Daniel Bentley would be a great signing, he did well at Southend and he's been one of Brentford's best players. He can only get better.

12 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Someone posted a stat, when fielding has the ball we have a 65% chance of losing possession. We can do without that sort of pressure for no reason - so either he needs to work hard on his distribution/kicking or we need a replacement.

True as he usually kicks it straight out of play.

Imagine if our GKs weren't instructed by the Head Coach to try to kick a dead ball 60 yards towards the head of Joe Bryan. 

That is part of the problem. 

Its adking for more accuracy over a long distance and is still a percentage ball. I'd rather we lumped it down the middle, lost it in the air but our midfielders were anticipating the drop and picking up loose balls. 

Anyone noticed that FF has added 10-15 yards to his kicks?

You need to look at these things in s but more depth. 

Don't disagree re crosses. 

Never want to see Geifer in a City top again, he might as well have been wearing clown shoes on Sunday such was his kicking. FF is a good shot stopper just lacks the size which effects his ability to come for crosses.

9 minutes ago, LC_ said:

Never want to see Geifer in a City top again, he might as well have been wearing clown shoes on Sunday such was his kicking. FF is a good shot stopper just lacks the size which effects his ability to come for crosses.

I thought he was dreadful on Sunday and didn't inspire me at all.

47 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I think John Ruddy would be a good shout. Great experience, good distribution - available on free so we may actually be able to afford him (sign on fee + wages covered by lack of transfer fee).

And he's played for us before! I remember going to Carlisle away (2007 I think) and he was in goal. No one had a clue we had signed him on loan. If I remember correctly it was a week long loan whilst Basso out. Played a blinder as well 

Fieldings kicking isn't great, and yes his distribution accuracy is only 35% but until our defence & midfield start coming short and showing for it, or we get someone up front like Djuric it'll probably stay quite low. Last season it was 54% which isn't too bad. 

Surprisingly, last season (15/16) there was a lot of negativity towards his kicking but none towards O'Donnell about his. 

I do believe we need a better keeper to push on, but I don't feel as if it's one of our priorities at the moment. 

IMG_7192.PNG

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Unless we push the boat out for an expensive top quality keeper, we may as well stick with FF and spend money elsewhere in the squad like right back and goalscoring striker. Even a midfield goalscorer to boost out goals for.

We have three young and promising keepers in Lucic, O'Leary and Wollacott so they should be adequate as subs.

Commanding keeper required-as good a shot stopper,and as great a bloke as Frank is his stature says he can never be that-its somthing all decent sides have.

34 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I thought he was dreadful on Sunday and didn't inspire me at all.

He made 3 or 4 great saves and dealt confidently with every cross. Some of his kicking was wayward but to say he was dreadful because of that is spiteful and I suspect your basing your opinion on a previous game or some other reasons with an agenda to suit. 

13 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Fielding and Lucic first two is fine. Not an important issue imo

Unless we get a better keeper and better outfield players we will continue to struggle.

4 minutes ago, redapple said:

He made 3 or 4 great saves and dealt confidently with every cross. Some of his kicking was wayward but to say he was dreadful because of that is spiteful and I suspect your basing your opinion on a previous game or some other reasons with an agenda to suit. 

The save in the first few minutes was exceptional. I was right in line with the shot and I thought it was in all the way.

10 minutes ago, redapple said:

I agree as regards the Birmingham match, but to be fair he was pretty dreadful in his other games.  I don't recall him making a meaningful save in any of them until last Sunday, and it's interesting that we won only one match of the ten he started.  Maybe given time he'd develop into a Championship-standard keeper, but last Sunday was the first time I've seen any indication that that might even be a possibility.

I'd like to see more of Lucic and would hope he would play a large part in pre-season. He looks a good size for a goalie, big enough to handle crosses, but not so large as to look ungainly with the ball at his feet. Frankie is a decent shot stopper, but his kicking is woeful and he's been here long enough now to have improved in that area. Basso's kicking was poor to begin with but improved so much he became fully competent with either foot. Apparently Frankie rates both O'Leary and Wollocott who are waiting in the wings.

48 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

And he's played for us before! I remember going to Carlisle away (2007 I think) and he was in goal. No one had a clue we had signed him on loan. If I remember correctly it was a week long loan whilst Basso out. Played a blinder as well 

I remember that, in those pre smart phone days hearing his name being announced over the PA was a big shock!

Frankie is mentally strong and bounces back if he makes a mistake, his main problem is he picks up injuries far more regularly than most keepers so we have to have a decent number 2, Lucic was meant to be that although I'm not sure he's getting many games on his loan. Giefer was good competition for FF but probably too expensive as a number 2.

Archived