IGNORED

Keeper next season

Super

2 hours ago, RichardEdd said:

I think John Ruddy would be a good shout. Great experience, good distribution - available on free so we may actually be able to afford him (sign on fee + wages covered by lack of transfer fee).

Alex O'Neil was on Radio yesterday and they were asking him about Ruddy

He believed Ruddys release was to help reduce wage bill and that he wouldn't be short of Clubs after him

O'Neil believed he may well end up back in Prem

So a bit of a very long shot for us I would say , unfortunately

If we have any aspirations in this league we need to get rid of both keepers and buy a decent one. FF is not a good keeper at this level. Geiffer is one of the worst I have ever seen put on a City shirt. 

To be perfectly honest if we started next season with those two and Max I'd edge towards max being given the no1

FF isn't helped by the fact that our players rarely want the ball rolled out to them. We don't seem to want to play out from the back - or trust the players to do it. Geifer tried this and they kept playing it back to him until he hoofed it long! I think some of the comments about his performance v brum are also very harsh. 

Frankie is a great character but I can't forget the spell he went through where 20-25 yard shots were going in for fun. Cardiff home & Reading home were 2 games from memory. Also is stuck to his line sometimes. I remember against Barnsley at home both Flint and Wright were shepherding the ball back for him to come and pick up, and he was stood there like a rabbit in headlights. If we could find a buyer it would be a new number one for me with Max or Lucic as backup.

The issue with a keeper is they need time to bed in, look at De Gea, when United signed him they were saying he was crap because he was making the odd mistake, now he's arguably one of the best keepers in the world. 

None of our keepers is a De Gea but they do need consistent games and consistency in front of them in order to become solid. I don't care who comes in or who we use so long as it's not chopping and changing again!

Nothing wrong with Frank Fielding.

Keepers don't command their box anymore, that's just the moden game. I don't remember seeing any keepers at Ashton Gate come piling through players in the box and collect a cross. It just doesn't happen anymore.

Franks kicking is way better than peope give him credit for. He's a safe pair of hands as it were, if you want an upgrade then start spending some big money or wages. You aren't going to get everything in this league, Fielding is a good keeper.

Talk of Lucic challenging for the spot seem a long way off, needs lengthy game time on loan in League 1 or 2, couldn't get a game on his recent loan.

It is no surprise since our promotion we have struggled defensively, sub standard full backs and keeper need to be upgraded.

5 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Would be a hard deal to get done but I'd make a 3-4 million pound bid for Daniel Bentley at Brentford.

They only got him last summer, but he's the type of high quality signing that I'd like us to make for the coming season. I'd rather we spent that sort of money on 4 really strong 'Championship ready players, than smaller amounts on 'up & coming youngsters' from league 2 etc. 

The trick is to get hold of the next Bentley at the price Brentford paid for him, not to present one of our opponents with an early Christmas present. 

5 hours ago, Marty said:

Lee Camp's been released from Rovverum.

Seem to remember him being mentioned a while ago.

I always thought he was a solid keeper. Suprised to hear that. Do you think he's a good time Charlie or something?

Doesn't this always happen?

A player who long-term has proved himself limited in this division turns in a few outstanding performances when needed and we think he's realising his potential. 

Bobby Reid has deceived in this way for many summers. 

For me there's no doubt, get a really strong keeper in. 

16 hours ago, LC_ said:

Never want to see Geifer in a City top again, he might as well have been wearing clown shoes on Sunday such was his kicking. FF is a good shot stopper just lacks the size which effects his ability to come for crosses.

Really? Even looking back over the past 2 years I would say Ben Hamer was more of a liability.

As somebody already mentioned though, keepers need time to bed in.

On 11/05/2017 at 17:37, ashton_fan said:

Frankie is mentally strong and bounces back if he makes a mistake, his main problem is he picks up injuries far more regularly than most keepers so we have to have a decent number 2, Lucic was meant to be that although I'm not sure he's getting many games on his loan. Giefer was good competition for FF but probably too expensive as a number 2.

Played every minute of 14/15, but got injured pre-season, rushed back, got injured, signed Hamer, who failed to impress, rushed back, etc.  Then lost his place to RoD.  So I agree, but til the end of 14/15 he was injury free.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Played every minute of 14/15, but got injured pre-season, rushed back, got injured, signed Hamer, who failed to impress, rushed back, etc.  Then lost his place to RoD.  So I agree, but til the end of 14/15 he was injury free.

I think he was injured in 13/14 as well when Parish took over, also at Derby before he joined us

Archived