IGNORED

Here's a stat for you.

GrahamC

A few weeks ago a mate tweeted that Tammy had then scored more goals this season at Championship level than anyone for us since John Galley in 71/72.

Well, that was before the season had ended so by the time it had, Tammy had scored more second division (old money) goals for us than anyone right back to the 64/65 season, when Brian Clark managed one more (24) and the great John Atyeo equalled his 23!!

Sort of puts into perspective replacing him, eh? Especially when our second top scorer was Tomlin with 6 (which included at least one penalty).

What an effort by a 19 year old, more goals at the second level than anyone for us in the last 53 years.

What a talent.

Oh Tammy Tammy!

Can't imagine how quickly the Moaners on this forum will get on the back of whoever is brought in to ' replicate and replace ' Tammy. Then it will pass on to our coaches for not playing the right players alongside him, then of course the venom will turn to Ashton who has just done pretty well so far and eventually it will be SLs fault for Mr X not scoring enough!!

Or we may just do well again in the market and find the perfect Mr X on Chelsea's ( or Spurs's books)

Interesting summer.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

A few weeks ago a mate tweeted that Tammy had then scored more goals this season at Championship level than anyone for us since John Galley in 71/72.

Well, that was before the season had ended so by the time it had, Tammy had scored more second division (old money) goals for us than anyone right back to the 64/65 season, when Brian Clark managed one more (24) and the great John Atyeo equalled his 23!!

Sort of puts into perspective replacing him, eh? Especially when our second top scorer was Tomlin with 6 (which included at least one penalty).

What an effort by a 19 year old, more goals at the second level than anyone for us in the last 53 years.

What a talent.

Good post Graham - As you say absolutely remarkable for a youngster (18 for part of the season :blink:) in his first experience of Senior Football 

Add to the mix , generally some extremely poor service or no service at all

Incredible

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Oh Tammy Tammy!

Can't imagine how quickly the Moaners on this forum will get on the back of whoever is brought in to ' replicate and replace ' Tammy. Then it will pass on to our coaches for not playing the right players alongside him, then of course the venom will turn to Ashton who has just done pretty well so far and eventually it will be SLs fault for Mr X not scoring enough!!

Or we may just do well again in the market and find the perfect Mr X on Chelsea's ( or Spurs's books)

Interesting summer.

Every single post you make on every thread -  you still have to make part of it some pathetic whine at the moaners / critics and every other word you love to use

For me personally you have gone way beyond being a nause and if anything are likely to fuel critics

Like a stuttering parrot

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Oh Tammy Tammy!

Interesting summer.

Or maybe lee may sign another forward who he doesn't seem to rate,we/he can't hope another loan saves our bacon next season 

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Oh Tammy Tammy!

Interesting summer.

Really can't see that happening. Don't think anyone I know down the Gate would be like that. A new striker will be completely independent of Tammy's goals, a discrete signing. Not one player, not one player, received the sort of treatment to which you refer despite our worst ever run/8 defeats in a row etc etc. 

Any criticism directed so far at Ashton has been justified - the signings he's overseen have hardly been 100% or 75% or even 50% wunderkids, have they? Plus he's as oily and buzzword as you can be.

Your assessment of how things might turn don't match what I've witnessed with my own eyes and ears at the Gate this most turbulent of 12 months, so I'd have to say BobBob has it right, to be fair.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What a talent.

I've said for a while he will take some replacing although we replaced kodjia with Tammy who scored 20 the season before so , who knows . We seem to be a different side to the one who started it though with more goals coming from 3rd man runs , especially Paterson 

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Can't imagine how quickly the Moaners on this forum will get on the back of whoever is brought in to ' replicate and replace ' Tammy.....

What on earth makes you think Bristol City fans would give a striker lots of stick and criticism because he 'isn't Tammy'?!

Cheer up HR, the season is over, you can relax now for a while and perhaps moan about the cricket in the meantime....

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What a talent.

I think it's better than you say Graham, in 64/65 we got promotion from the 3rd division so Clark and Atyeo's goals were scored at a division below where Tammy got his, I think it's actually the best since Big John got 26 goals in 58/59.

As you say, what a talent and I look forward to seeing how his career develops.

5 minutes ago, red10 said:

I think it's better than you say Graham, in 64/65 we got promotion from the 3rd division so Clark and Atyeo's goals were scored at a division below where Tammy got his, I think it's actually the best since Big John got 26 goals in 58/59.

As you say, what a talent and I look forward to seeing how his career develops.

I stand corrected, 1958/59, wow, that's not even in my lifetime..

Just now, GrahamC said:

I stand corrected, 1958/59, wow, that's not even in my lifetime..

I remember we got promoted in 64/65 because that's the season my Dad started taking me, I've been a glory hunter ever since :shifty:

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What a talent.

I have said several times, that Tammy is the best striker we've had at City since Big John. If only we could afford him permanently.

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Every single post you make on every thread -  you still have to make part of it some pathetic whine at the moaners / critics and every other word you love to use

For me personally you have gone way beyond being a nause and if anything are likely to fuel critics

Like a stuttering parrot

To be honest I hadn't noticed HRs negatively but then he's only made just over a 100 Posts............

Maynard scored 20 league goals in 09/10 I believe. Anyone else hit 20 in recent years as I struggle to think of anyone else prolific? Just feels out of character for us to find a proper goal scorer two seasons running. Don't feel overly confident we can manage a hat trick either.

19 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Maynard scored 20 league goals in 09/10 I believe. Anyone else hit 20 in recent years as I struggle to think of anyone else prolific? Just feels out of character for us to find a proper goal scorer two seasons running. Don't feel overly confident we can manage a hat trick either.

Nor me - it's one of the , if not the hardest tasks for any Club to find consistent goal scorers and one that normally costs the most 

I hope people don't think if we get another Premiership youngster he will just slot into Tammys boots and deliver

The chances of getting one as good as Tammy are a massive task , as , and I keep saying the same thing Tammy had all three ingredients. 

ABILITY / HUNGER / FANTASTIC ATTITUDE

To get all three in a player , especially on loan is hitting the jackpot and most of us realise that

The fact that at 18/19 he has been our most successful striker at this level in 60 years suggests just how hard it will be to replace him

In addition many of us have said he has been the best loanee they've ever seen and in my near half century of City he was the best I've seen

i really think we must recruit with more goals in mind and look for goals in any midfield recruits as well - We cannot rely on one player to provide the bulk of our goals , one injury and we'd be stuffed as we would have been IMHO had Tammy been out for any extended period this season

(On that note I thought how he coped with the physicality of the Champ and being battered week in week out up front of his own , and how he was really crocked / hurt on a number of occasions but came back on and was there for the next game was yet just another awesome aspect of his time here)

31 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

John Atyeo was about only goalscorer in my lifetime - so far - that didn't move on to "better" club.

17 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Oh Tammy Tammy!

Interesting summer.

Last season was not a success. Relegation was avoided (just) but only after sticking with 4-4-2 and not making 6 formation changes during a game! 

Johnson experimented all over the shop and it nearly cost us our Championship status! £11 Million was spent and we had a striker like Tammy who scored enough goals to fire a team into the Premiership, but we were at the wrong end of the table.

Lee Johnson is supposed to be some amazingly talented young dynamic manager, and yet he mirrored his mistakes at Barnsley with City. He should have learned first time around!

He has one transfer window left of his 3 and that is this summer. We are not one or two players short, we are about 6 players shorts and that is just at first team level....what about strength in depth? There isn't any. Just look how heavily reliant we were on Paterson and Brownhill at the end of the season? Worryingly there were quite a few players who were consistently inconsistent for most of the season , and certain players don't seem to be getting better with experience.

We need some serious investment over the summer otherwise we can kiss the Championship goodbye next year.

I don't feel our squad is really that bad. Looking at Brighton would you be in awe of theirs? I think it is more about having a good manager who gets the best out of them. We had a pretty strong bench at the end of the season and a player as good as Magnusson not even on the bench! Get rid of Lee, bring in a competent manager and a couple of quality players and I honestly think we could do quite well.

Unfortunately Lansdown won't do that as we all know. So I expect another real struggle next season.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What on earth makes you think Bristol City fans would give a striker lots of stick and criticism because he 'isn't Tammy'?!

Cheer up HR, the season is over, you can relax now for a while and perhaps moan about the cricket in the meantime....

Howzat Bob ?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

To be honest I hadn't noticed HRs negatively but then he's only made just over a 100 Posts............

All since the beginning of this year, and the vast majority of which make personal attacks against individual posters or make critical comments against City supporters in general, particularly when there has been criticism of the club or LJ...........

Bob "god" Taylor

In 1989–90, his first full season at City, he helped the club achieve promotion to Division Two.[4] Taylor finished as Division Three leading goalscorer with 27 league goals[7] (34 in total) and was also named Bristol City Player of the Year.

I release this wasn't at Championship level, but worth a mention.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I've just looked up the stats for Second division City scorers.

1955-56. Atyeo 29 and Jimmy Rogers 25

1958-59. Atyeo 26 and Bert Tindill 19 

!971-2. Galley 22

No others from 1955 to 1982 are over 20 per season. Don't have stats for 1990's and later.

That Atyeo was some player..

Maynard was the only one to reach 20 post 1990, Kodjia got 19, as did Akinbiyi.

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

It's more than that, albeit at a lower level some of it: Jet, Baldrick, Wilbs, Kodge and Tammy, that's five 20+ goalscorers in four years, unprecedented for us.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't feel our squad is really that bad. Looking at Brighton would you be in awe of theirs? I think it is more about having a good manager who gets the best out of them. We had a pretty strong bench at the end of the season and a player as good as Magnusson not even on the bench! Get rid of Lee, bring in a competent manager and a couple of quality players and I honestly think we could do quite well.

Unfortunately Lansdown won't do that as we all know. So I expect another real struggle next season.

And to think Johnson would have said, as part of his interview, about coaching players to be better (with the aim of selling them for more £££, as per one of our pillars). If only he could, and with lots of them, this squad could have been midtable this season, comfortably. You're spot on with looking at a squad like B&HA, no (or not many) massive name stars or £M signings, but getting the best out of what they have. We don't have a bottom 6/8 squad, which has been the most frustrating part of this last season, for me, and why I got so p*ss*d off. Any manager, any coaching setup would've received the same 'noise' from me when miscoaching/mismanaging this lot down to 3 pts above the drop. Just hope someone - Johnson, whoever - can get more out of them nx season. Plenty of squads in this div aren't stellar but punch at or above their weight.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:34, GrahamC said:

What a talent.

I was wondering about that. By the way, 64-65 was the year when we were promoted after being in second place for just seven minutes of the season :o 

I still have the programme telling us to build for next season now we'd lost the chance of promotion. The run-in was 11-1-1

Archived