IGNORED

Sound of the City - LJ on the show on Monday night

Jacki

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well that's a load of tosh....Malmo were in Group A in last seasons's champions league .....what Group were Dundalk in???

Talking rubbish.....

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Dundalk "qualified for the group stages of the champions league" - you sure? You for real? 

Why not educate him - they qualified for the Champions League qualifiers, but ended up getting knocked out and therefore entered Europa League.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk_F.C.

Not everyone is so blessed with knowledge as you BS4 :P

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

"I'd like to thank him for his apology, I completely accept it. I don't blame him by the way either, because I understand the passion of the Bristol City supporters is up there with the best in the country. And like I say, it was just nice to prove that I am a good manager and we have got a good staff and we have got a good bunch of players, because nobody during that spell was more frustrated than me"

Just part of what Alessandro posted, I think in all a fair comment apart from the "it was just nice to prove that I am a good manager" statement which still has yet to be proved imo.

The complete debacle of the team selection & the dissapearance of our future "EPL players" (LJ's words) from the line up still unanswered.

Time will tell :fingerscrossed:.

3 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

Sorry I misunderstood

Don't get too excited as just listening to it back now. Seems the decision for the post Preston refund was a directive to the players not a player led thing!! Yet more PR. Bullshit & Spin 

Who cares, the end result is the same.

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

Just part of what Alessandro posted, I think in all a fair comment apart from the "it was just nice to prove that I am a good manager" statement which still has yet to be proved imo.

The complete debacle of the team selection & the dissapearance of our future "EPL players" (LJ's words) from the line up still unanswered.

Time will tell :fingerscrossed:.

Regarding the line up - GT asked LJ about all the changes to the line ups.

His answer was something along the lines of yes, there were changes, but because we kept losing. When we found what worked, we stuck with it. Had he written down what he would have said was his first 11 at the start of the season, it wouldn't have looked like the team we ended the season with. He cited injuries, Korey Smith, for example.

For me this has to be one of the lessons he needs to learn. Of course, you need to change a losing side sometimes, but results often come with some stability and continuity. Changes can compound the problem, I think he should have seen that earlier in the season.

I think I'd echo what others have said about the good manager comment. You need that self belief as a manager, that little streak of arrogance. You can't lead a group of men if you have no confidence in what you're doing. Whether they have confidence in you....we'll that's another debate. In my opinion, it also does actually take a 'good' manager to keep a team in this league, given how competetive it is, the weak or ill prepared are quickly weeded out. So LJ is right. He is a good manager. He didn't say 'great' or 'one of the best young managers around', 'the best man for the job' or 'the person who is best qualified to take the club forwards for the near future' or something like that. Had he said that, I'd have a problem with it.

8 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

Who cares, the end result is the same.

Yes the result is the same and  it was the right thing to do. IMO how we got there is now important as it seems eveyone was blatently lied to that that this was player led when in fact it was a directive/idea from the top. There is no need to have lied it just treats us with contempt and is disingenuous. It didn't need to be

It seems a petty thing I just despise lieing especially to customers/fanbase

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Regarding the line up - GT asked LJ about all the changes to the line ups.

His answer was something along the lines of yes, there were changes, but because we kept losing. When we found what worked, we stuck with it. Had he written down what he would have said was his first 11 at the start of the season, it wouldn't have looked like the team we ended the season with. He cited injuries, Korey Smith, for example.

For me this has to be one of the lessons he needs to learn. Of course, you need to change a losing side sometimes, but results often come with some stability and continuity. Changes can compound the problem, I think he should have seen that earlier in the season.

Agree with that Alessandro

To put it in context Lee suggested maybe his biggest learning point from this season was that he may have complicated and over cooked things

GT asked if this was the case with changes in personnel and formations

LJ ' Well ......I'm not sure , to be honest about that .....I think , people , understandably would say you don't know you're best team , now you know you're best team when you're winning games '

It did come across as if he'd fiddled and fiddled until we won one and then (Understndably) stuck with it

Unfortunately it came across as he'd almost found out his best side by accident with results telling him what his best team is which is not necessarily the case and which sounds harsh !

Like you - I do think he should have had more courage during the bad run , decide , in theory what his best team was and run with it 

3 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

Yes the result is the same and  it was the right thing to do. IMO how we got there is now important as it seems eveyone was blatently lied to that that this was player led when in fact it was a directive/idea from the top. There is no need to have lied it just treats us with contempt and is disingenuous. It didn't need to be

It seems a petty thing I just despise lieing especially to customers/fanbase

You really need to get a grip! What are of the world does spin PR in this day and age..?

What difference does it make make if a club official said to the players, after Preston "you should all put your hands in your pockets and refund those supporters"..? They could have said "no"!

Why the need to take issue with the exact discussion that led to the gesture..?

We were told that the players would refund the fans. They did. Well done them!

It would probably need club involvement anyway, unless the plays physically handed over cash or did a bank transfer to each individual. The club had to process the refunds. 

If you deem this as "being lied too" then I presume you don't buy newspapers, watch tv or vote..?!

2 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

LJ talked a lot but said nothing.

The 1st Twitter question was good and completely dodged.

The question about team and tactic changes proved he is still clueless. He talked about simplicity and clarity......that was obviously lost on all the players.

People thanking him for 'saving the club'...txts and twitter thanking him. My goodness, happy clapper fans who clearly have no idea. Has everyone forgot about the season? Has everyone forgot he is the worst manager in the clubs history? Has everyone forgot that millions has been given to LJ with no improvement?

This bloke is a complete joke. Hoping for a poor start to the season so City can finally get rid.

Why were people celebrating at the gate after the Birmingham game? Get a grip people - the club has gone backwards this season. Fickle City fans. 

I'm going to need to see some factual proof of this before I take you seriously.

12 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

The question about team and tactic changes proved he is still clueless. He talked about simplicity and clarity......that was obviously lost on all the players.

People thanking him for 'saving the club'...txts and twitter thanking him. My goodness, happy clapper fans who clearly have no idea. Has everyone forgot about the season? Has everyone forgot he is the worst manager in the clubs history? Has everyone forgot that millions has been given to LJ with no improvement?

This bloke is a complete joke. Hoping for a poor start to the season so City can finally get rid.

Why were people celebrating at the gate after the Birmingham game? Get a grip people - the club has gone backwards this season. Fickle City fans. 

Not sure City fans are fickle. Maybe just different levels of expectations. 

You think you see something they don't, but reading your post, you're not seeing the facts so.....we can do the maths. 

Your comment about simplicity and clarity - he said was what he reverted to help get us out of our bad run, it worked, so obviously wasn't lost on all the players.

The club went forward this year. In terms of revenue, experience, development. And from 18th to 17th. :laugh:, small steps maybe, but it aint backwards. BTW spending money doesn't guarantee you success. 

And as for the worse manager in the clubs history? He may have the worse run of defeats - but his win loss ratio recently had him as the 4th best City manager out of 14 managers (not caretakers) in the last 20 years.

14 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Hoping for a poor start to the season

This comment says everything anyone needs to know.....  Your opinion is worth dogshit mate, quite frankly.  No true fan should ever want their team to lose.  (Except in the unlikely event that we've already won a league and a defeat would send the six fingered cousin lovers from Whorefield down, of course!)

20 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Got to agree re John from Stockwood....I was cringing listening to it.  Couldn't they have muted him once he'd had his first say.  Was embarrassed for him.

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure City fans are fickle. Maybe just different levels of expectations. 

You think you see something they don't, but reading your post, you're not seeing the facts so.....we can do the maths. 

Your comment about simplicity and clarity - he said was what he reverted to help get us out of our bad run, it worked, so obviously wasn't lost on all the players.

The club went forward this year. In terms of revenue, experience, development. And from 18th to 17th. :laugh:, small steps maybe, but it aint backwards. BTW spending money doesn't guarantee you success. 

And as for the worse manager in the clubs history? He may have the worse run of defeats - but his win loss ratio recently had him as the 4th best City manager out of 14 managers (not caretakers) in the last 20 years.

This is the thing with LJ at the moment: he holds the club record for consecutive league defeats (fact) with probably the biggest budget of any City coach/manager but he is not the worst head coach/manager we have ever had (he brought in our finest ever loan signing, kept us up last season, we went forward, just about, this season). We don't really know what he is or what we will get next season.

Which is unsettling. Uncertainty is unsettling, uncomfortable. Some people (Thatch?) find uncertainty so uncomfortable that they make their mind up and won't be budged. At least they are certain of one thing.

53 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

You sound like the gas! 

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true! 

We all know the middle portion of the season was shite! The start, end and period that LJ was in charge the previous season, all bode well. 

He's had an extremely rough period and come through it. 

Just focusing purely on that bad period does your case no favours. 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You sound like the gas! 

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true! 

We all know the middle portion of the season was shite! The start, end and period that LJ was in charge the previous season, all bode well. 

He's had an extremely rough period and come through it. 

Just focusing purely on that bad period does your case no favours. 

Nonsense and sad first line to a reply - you are normally a better poster than that !

Is it not just a half full, half empty thing?

You prefer to highlight the good part of the season, someone else the bad - are either of you right?

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Not convinced then Thatch ? 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with that Alessandro

To put it in context Lee suggested maybe his biggest learning point from this season was that he may have complicated and over cooked things

GT asked if this was the case with changes in personnel and formations

LJ ' Well ......I'm not sure , to be honest about that .....I think , people , understandably would say you don't know you're best team , now you know you're best team when you're winning games '

It did come across as if he'd fiddled and fiddled until we won one and then (Understndably) stuck with it

Unfortunately it came across as he'd almost found out his best side by accident with results telling him what his best team is which is not necessarily the case and which sounds harsh !

Like you - I do think he should have had more courage during the bad run , decide , in theory what his best team was and run with it 

but then there was all that business about finding players he could trust…was that because he didn't trust the players to try?

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

no he isn't SoD has that by some distance, he's got the worst losing streak in the clubs history but he isn't the worst manager  

Johnson Played 69 Won 26 Drew 13 Lost 30 37% win recorded Not bad 

Keith Millen Played 57 Won 18 Drew 12 Lost 27 31% Win Record

McInnes Played 63 Won 17 Drew 14 Lost 32 26% Win Record

SoD Played 44 Won 11 Drew 13 lost 20. A 25% Win Record

Just now, Monkeh said:

no he isn't SoD has that by some distance, he's got the worst losing streak in the clubs history but he isn't the worst manager  

Johnson Played 69 Won 26 Drew 13 Lost 30 37% win recorded Not bad 

Keith Millen Played 57 Won 18 Drew 12 Lost 27 31% Win Record

McInnes Played 63 Won 17 Drew 14 Lost 32 26% Win Record

SoD Played 44 Won 11 Drew 13 lost 20. A 25% Win Record

But that's clearly bollocks as Johnson has had hardly any games in charge so he's obviously the wor..........oh

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think arrogant goes with the territory of being a manager. It's like strikers being selfish. You probably couldn't do the job if you weren't.

100%

I'm not an LJ fan, but support him saying he's a good manager. Imagine if he/any manager came out and said ''I'm not that good actually, really out of my depth''.

You need a touch of arrogance in anything. Imagine Ronaldo/Messi always saying in an interview that the other was better? 

17 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Nonsense and sad first line to a reply - you are normally a better poster than that !

Is it not just a half full, half empty thing?

You prefer to highlight the good part of the season, someone else the bad - are either of you right?

It's not nonsense. It's a well known gas trait. Say something often enough and believe it's true. 

I would argue that, if either, then those who focus on the positives are more "right", given that this proves LJ isn't "clueless" or "out of his depth". 

We are aware of the bad run and at that point it was a question of whether LJ could turn things around. He did! 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Johnson Played 69 Won 26 Drew 13 Lost 30 37% win recorded Not bad 1.32 ppg

Keith Millen Played 57 Won 18 Drew 12 Lost 27 31% Win Record 1.16 ppg 

McInnes Played 63 Won 17 Drew 14 Lost 32 26% Win Record 1.03 ppg 

SoD Played 44 Won 11 Drew 13 lost 20. A 25% Win Record 1.05 ppg

I prefer points per game.  It doesn't change your stats, but allows for the variations of manager's who either draw a lot or draw a little.

If Johnson carries on at this rate, that's 60.7 points per 46 game season.  That should be a no relegation drama points total.  If he can improve that, then you start knocking on the door of top 10.

Archived