IGNORED

SuperBobs England Flag

Tin Soldier

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We would have won it  - The Argies were poor and totally relied on Maradonna , also had a couple suspended for the Final

Was in amongst the Germans for the final and was pleased they beat the cheats - Tho Klinsman did his best to even up on that score

I was in Amsterdam :whistle2: (after we got dumped out of Euro 88 ) the night the Dutch beat the Germans in the Semi , in Germany - 

Amazing scenes - Boy do they hate the Germans (Unsurprisingly) Everyone was on the streets for an all night party

Was over in Holland in 2000 (not the tournament). Although the cloggies I spoke to said the animosity was no longer there, the vandalised German cars I saw said otherwise.

Very jealous of all those including you @BobBobSuperBob who did the likes of Mexico and Italia '90.

I've done Portugal '04, Ukraine '12 and France '16. No World Cups which is a shame as I've done so many qualifiers/friendlies home and away that I had enough caps for tickets in Brazil and S Africa. No way am I doing Russia or Qatar on principle given both were corrupt bids. Although I've renewed my England fans membership I'm not doing any games this campaign, may review that next year with a view to going to Euro 2020 as I don't mind the idea of that.

Anyway, found this pic this morning. Day one of the first test in Galle, Sri Lanka 2012 viewing the ground from up on the fort. **** me it was hot! :cool:

100_4866.JPG

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone remember the 'Bath City' Flag that was always at England games

Havnt seen it or the lad who owned it but he was a good lad , a big Chelsea and Bath City fan who was a painter and decorator and worked crazy hours when he was 'home' , which gave him the time and ££££ to go to every England Football and Cricket Match & Tournament all over the World - was always always there wherever you went - and Had a great life !!!!!

When I was in France last summer we were on the train from Lyon to Saint Etienne for a game and got talking to an Irish guy who's been to every major tournament since 1994, even though Ireland haven't qualified for most of them. His first one was Ireland-Italy in New York in the 94 WC, he got the bug for it and now saves up for the two years between tournaments to be able to afford it. When we met him in France he was in the middle of 7 group games in 7 days up and down the country, then he had tickets for the later rounds as well. 

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very jealous of all those including you @BobBobSuperBob who did the likes of Mexico and Italia '90.

I've done Portugal '04, Ukraine '12 and France '16. No World Cups which is a shame as I've done so many qualifiers/friendlies home and away that I had enough caps for tickets in Brazil and S Africa. No way am I doing Russia or Qatar on principle given both were corrupt bids. Although I've renewed my England fans membership I'm not doing any games this campaign, may review that next year with a view to going to Euro 2020 as I don't mind the idea of that.

Anyway, found this pic this morning. Day one of the first test in Galle, Sri Lanka 2012 viewing the ground from up on the fort. **** me it was hot! :cool:

Well done Kid - Good on you  

Likewise I do feel sorry for the younger fans who don't have the options we had 

I was looking at the tickets the other day £9 for the Group games in Italia 90 , £11 for Belgium , £18 Cameroon , £33 Semi   And £55 For a top ticket near half way line for the final

More importantly you could turn up in Sardinia and buy three group tickets for around £20-25 as too many locals had bought tickets and thought they could make some money but ended up having to get their money back or less

Never a problem getting tickets for England games pre Euro 96 - I went to several tournaments without tickets and hardly ever had to pay much over face value

I was shocked by the change in France 98 when it suddenly had become trendy to watch England and supply and demand meant tickets were only available for hundreds of pounds generally

Mind you , no internet to research or book anything back then !!!!

the adventure of setting off for Sardinia (I'd never heard of Sardinia pre 90 !!!) in my mates Toyota Hiace Van and a AA European Road Atlas was part of the big adventure 

With one of the few to have a vehicle there we became a taxi service from the camp sites into Cities and games 

Our record was 13 people squeezed into a Toyota Hiace en route to the Belgium game

En route we got pulled over by machine gun brandishing Italian Cops 

They were pointing and shouting that we had four people wedged on the front bench type seat , as I stood there thinking , don't open the side door :facepalm:

Needless they did and their faces were a picture as another sweaty nine tumbled out :laughcont:

Cost us about £30 fine IIRC - Happy days !!!

Like all our City away trips its things like this you remember and laugh at as much as the football !

As an aside - anyone who wants a lovely relaxing beach holiday with stunning beaches and a lack of tacky tourism - get to Sardinia - been back several times - Beautiful , the clearest seas I've ever seen and a chilled out place with great food - bit like unspoilt Greece of 80s 

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

100_4866.JPG

Can I ask - How did you get the badge / create the badge for your flag Kid ?

Impressively 'smart' flag that :clap:

Why I kept my Bulldog one to similary simple - Like the Club Badge as you have it , in one quarter of the SGC - Nice

(How times have changed with flags when you look at that Italia 90 photo !!!!  :laughcont:

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well done Kid - Good on you  

Likewise I do feel sorry for the younger fans who don't have the options we had 

I was looking at the tickets the other day £9 for the Group games in Italia 90 , £11 for Belgium , £18 Cameroon , £33 Semi   And £55 For a top ticket near half way line for the final

More importantly you could turn up in Sardinia and buy three group tickets for around £20-25 as too many locals had bought tickets and thought they could make some money but ended up having to get their money back or less

Never a problem getting tickets for England games pre Euro 96 - I went to several tournaments without tickets and hardly ever had to pay much over face value

I was shocked by the change in France 98 when it suddenly had become trendy to watch England and supply and demand meant tickets were only available for hundreds of pounds generally

Mind you , no internet to research or book anything back then !!!!

the adventure of setting off for Sardinia (I'd never heard of Sardinia pre 90 !!!) in my mates Toyota Hiace Van and a AA European Road Atlas was part of the big adventure 

With one of the few to have a vehicle there we became a taxi service from the camp sites into Cities and games 

Our record was 13 people squeezed into a Toyota Hiace en route to the Belgium game

En route we got pulled over by machine gun brandishing Italian Cops 

They were pointing and shouting that we had four people wedged on the front bench type seat , as I stood there thinking , don't open the side door :facepalm:

Needless they did and their faces were a picture as another sweaty nine tumbled out :laughcont:

Cost us about £30 fine IIRC - Happy days !!!

Like all our City away trips its things like this you remember and laugh at as much as the football !

As an aside - anyone who wants a lovely relaxing beach holiday with stunning beaches and a lack of tacky tourism - get to Sardinia - been back several times - Beautiful , the clearest seas I've ever seen and a chilled out place with great food - bit like unspoilt Greece of 80s 

I was over Sardinia in '89, went to Cagliari for a night out, ended up at a place called K2 and slept on the beach that night. As Bob says, stunning place - road from south of the Island up to Cagliari is a stunning drive.

At the time, the Italians had no real drink driving laws either (I think it's all changed due to the EU now). If you got caught, you were more likely to get a lift home by the cops - which seemed to comprise of three types of cop: Carabinieri, the guys you really didn't want to mess around with, federal police: almost like community cops and the locals - all strutted around like peacocks.

Can't say I've been back since but would recommend.

7 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I was over Sardinia in '89, went to Cagliari for a night out, ended up at a place called K2 and slept on the beach that night. As Bob says, stunning place - road from south of the Island up to Cagliari is a stunning drive.

At the time, the Italians had no real drink driving laws either (I think it's all changed due to the EU now). If you got caught, you were more likely to get a lift home by the cops - which seemed to comprise of three types of cop: Carabinieri, the guys you really didn't want to mess around with, federal police: almost like community cops and the locals - all strutted around like peacocks.

Can't say I've been back since but would recommend.

And around Cagliari is actually the worst part of the Island (until you get past Pula where some stunning beaches start)  tinker

I've explored the Island and would strongly recommend flying into Olbia (EasyJet from Bristol) and spending time in the NE corner and down the East Coast - Stunning 

Hire car at the airport,  and driving around Sardinia is so easy , so little traffic

Just avoid August when lots of mainland Italians descend for their hols

Great place to take kids , beautiful beaches , warm clear sea , generally extremely safe , and no amusement arcades , fast food joints , or tacky theme parks

I thought about buying a place in Sardinia once , so chilled and relaxed there and beautiful / unspoilt 

Just watched the whole thing, thanks Bob. I had forgotten about those bloody buses, sweat boxes in the extreme!

I must admit that I didn't really see much trouble apart from at the beach at Rimini where the locals would fly up and down the esplanade on scooters waving knives about. I guess in hindsight, we were quite lucky in that we stayed away from the main camps and did our own thing. Having a second passport (Irish) helped as well. I guess I actually used the green one more than my British one which helped get access to a lot of hotels / apartments that were denied to Brit passport holders. I did the same at Germany '88 TBH and heard some horror stories from fellow England fans about being refused accommodation due to having British passports. A sad indictment of the times I guess.

Great memories of a great tournament though!

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ahhh I see - someone trying to be a sarcastic comedian

Was travelling England 6 yrs before you were even born

:thumbsup:

Well, you are older than me, whats your point?

No not being sarcastic or trying to be funny, I really was asking if it was kept in the loft. Who knows it could've triggered some interesting back story.

1 minute ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Well, you are older than me, whats your point?

No not being sarcastic or trying to be funny, I really was asking if it was kept in the loft. Who knows it could've triggered some interesting back story.

You're hilarious 

Sad attempts at sarcasm

As I said stick to WSM or venture out as far as Clevedon - it may expand your world

On 13/05/2017 at 14:05, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks mate - keep thinking about letting a younger fan have the Bulldog Flag as it rarely gets an outing now , but it's hard to let it go !

Cmon Bob it's time and u nose it 

5 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Maybe you didnt hear me the first time. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, just making convo.

I heard you but you don't seem to hear me - you're failing on all three counts

Back from the pub , a couple of halves , and bored eh

Archived