IGNORED

FGR BIG Day.........really?

slartibartfast

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Technically Forest Green is just an area (or small suburb if you will) of Nailsworth. 

Thought they'd take more than 4k. Taunton Town took 7k to Wembley in the 90s for the FA Vase final!

It would be the smallest"place" to ever host league football, I believe.

14 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

They haven't had a lot of sales because there is simply not a big enough population to support a club even really of conference size let alone football league. They are very lucky they have a wealthy benefactor. 

Nailsworth is tiny and I dread to think what it'll be like with the size of support some teams would bring even in League 2.

In Stroud there is little mention of FGR and IMO this is where they should be trying to draw support from. Transport links are lacking (generally, not just for football) and for a football minded Stroudie Cheltenham is much easier to get to and much more appealing. 

Whilst I wish them luck today because I'd like to see my local side in the league I can't help but wonder if this really is too big a step for such a small club.

I see your point but I do know a lot of neutrals that have been put off by the prices.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Technically Forest Green is just an area (or small suburb if you will) of Nailsworth. 

Thought they'd take more than 4k. Taunton Town took 7k to Wembley in the 90s for the FA Vase final!

I was being a little facetious, and Taunton is much bigger than Nailsworth.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I know very little about FGR other than they're a localish club. I'm assuming they have an adequate stadium suitable for the FL?

I imagine it would be pointless them taking part in the play off finals if they didn't

Quite like FGR, but want Tranmere to win today. Been to a few games at Prenton Park and they're a proper football league club. Got to respect their fans who grow up supporting them despite having Everton and Liverpool approx. 15 minutes over the water.  

Read in the paper the other day that tranmere lost 3 consecutive championship play off finals in the mid-90s. :blink:. We thought our play off luck was bad!

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I went to Wemberelee in the late 70's to watch the mighty Almondsbury Greenway v Billericay FA Vase final.  17500ish there but an unmemorable atmosphere due to masses of empty, unused stands.

Anyone else go to that?

21 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Quite like FGR, but want Tranmere to win today. Been to a few games at Prenton Park and they're a proper football league club. Got to respect their fans who grow up supporting them despite having Everton and Liverpool approx. 15 minutes over the water.  

Read in the paper the other day that tranmere lost 3 consecutive championship play off finals in the mid-90s. :blink:. We thought our play off luck was bad!

It was 3 semi finals that they lost, but you're right, their record is as bad as ours if not worse. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Population of Nailsworth = 5,800

Population of Taunton = 64,600

Don't understand how anyone can really criticise FGR's following really.

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

It is :sad26:

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not as bad as Sheffield United who have the worst PO Record

Or Fulham who have never won a single tie in POs , and after yesterday , still havnt !!

Isn't that better than bottling it in the final like we did at Cardiff?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Mickey Mellon I/c of at Tranmere swings it for me

Top lad and has a soft spot for us 

Went to see his debut for WBA, then saw him in the Williams and he said we should have got in touch for tickets. Always rated him, still like to see FGR in the league though.

32 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Population of Nailsworth = 5,800

Population of Taunton = 64,600

Don't understand how anyone can really criticise FGR's following really.

I agree there.. Their support is what it is. Its never going to be big no matter what. Which begs the question, what is Dale Vince attempting to do, throwing money at a project that is never going to be sustainable in the long run? They will get to the football league eventually (probably not today) but I can only see another Rushden scenario unfolding when huge player wages are not supported by increasing crowds. The same thing will eventually happen to Fleetwood too and is already happening at Crawley.

1 hour ago, jackofromrugby said:

I went to Wemberelee in the late 70's to watch the mighty Almondsbury Greenway v Billericay FA Vase final.  17500ish there but an unmemorable atmosphere due to masses of empty, unused stands.

Anyone else go to that?

Yeah although I was only a nipper and don't recall too much of it. Lost 4-1 I think, my old man took me as he knew a couple of the players. 

23 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I agree there.. Their support is what it is. Its never going to be big no matter what. Which begs the question, what is Dale Vince attempting to do, throwing money at a project that is never going to be sustainable in the long run? They will get to the football league eventually (probably not today) but I can only see another Rushden scenario unfolding when huge player wages are not supported by increasing crowds. The same thing will eventually happen to Fleetwood too and is already happening at Crawley.

Very good point. Difficult to see how they can ever become self-sustaining at a higher level.

N preference either way; hope the best team wins, unlike when Rovers edged out Grimsby a few years back... :shifty:

Do think FGR being in the league would be interesting; selfish thought would be they might be somewhere local we could send young players for league experience - same reason I'm hoping Exeter go up to League One; means there is a decent near-ish club for loans.

I'd have said Rovers might have been a location to loan to, but after their typical pathetic tantrum after Taylor headed our way I'd rather forget they existed.

Archived