IGNORED

Retained list due out today

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not so sure.  The thinking on this loan to Sweden could be that he gets playing time over the English off-season.  Idea being that he can then hit the ground running once the Swedish season finishes, or we can recall him in August (if we have such a clause).  I suspect we will give him another go.  I keep forgetting that he's only 20.

@Septic Peg why Hegeler?

Tinnion suggests Engvall has a future here.  So I'm with you Ajax on this one.

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Cant agree wirh the Hegeler shout. Theres been talk from LJ about using him as someone to build the side around next year.

I know he hasnt had the most game time, but in a relegation fight its better to go back to tried and tested (Smith and Pack) in midfield, than wait for a player to adapt to our leagues speed.

Hegeler is class, or was class in his first few games, especially as a defender.  In midfield it was too fast for him.  But you're right, spend the pre-season getting him adjusted, and he could be like a new player.  If not, I'd expect us to make a profit on the €300k.

18 minutes ago, !james said:

Its common practise for some clubs to announce both together see examples below from Peterborough and Sheff Utd:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39824335

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39784935

Peterborough is their policy.  Any player in their final year is teansfer listed.  They don't like to take the risk of a player going on a Bosman OOC.

not sure about Sheffield Utd though.

I am doing really well on transfer speculation cliche nonsense bingo.

- "pay up his contract" - check

- "give him a coaching role" - check

- "find a talented young striker from the continent" - check.

I just need a "offer him a pay as you play deal" and a "go get him Steve" and I will have a full house. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not so sure.  The thinking on this loan to Sweden could be that he gets playing time over the English off-season.  Idea being that he can then hit the ground running once the Swedish season finishes, or we can recall him in August (if we have such a clause).  I suspect we will give him another go.  I keep forgetting that he's only 20.

@Septic Peg why Hegeler?

Thought it was reluctantly agreed for him to go abroad when we wanted him loaned out to a domestic club. Problem of him playing through the summer and potentially coming back in August is that should he start to feature in the 1st 11, he'll be burnt out by Christmas

I wish people would stop saying LJ doesn't rate Engvall. It's quite clear he was in the same category as Taylor Moore, Josh Brownhill and Callum O'Dowda. Brought in to develop and cover here and there if needed. Gustav like Taylor Moore found himself behind more experienced players(and Tammy) thus went on loan. He's got a future here and suggest from what I've seen of him he can be a Matty Taylor type with the better touch and footballing brain. 

I only expect Little and Wilbraham to be mentioned along with maybe a few youngsters who they haven't renewed(if any). I know some clubs say these players are free to leave as well but I can't see many if any being said. Our club doesn't seem to be that forward about anything in the transfer market so if players like Hegeler, Reid, Tomlin, GON and Golbourne are free to leave the club then we will tell them and their agents but probably wouldn't publicly state as such. 

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Wilbs offered coaching role, he wants to be player/coach. Yet to be accepted or declined. 

So I've heard. 

Just what we need, another inexperienced coach.

No sentiment for me. Thank Wilbs and Little for the fantastic contribution to the club but release. Make Bobby Reid, O'Neil and possibly Tomlin available for transfer. Same with Fielding if a new GK is lined up. May sound tough but if we want to progress we have to be ruthless with our budget.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Is this one of those traps where I tell you it was C-Fur, but then you tell me you know I'm lying because Joe Bryan doesn't have a cat called C-Fur?

You said it was Joe's cat's niece?

Joe is the owner of his cat's niece too? 

Not a trap. It was in Well Red that he has a cat called C-Fur. Also has a budgie called Smuggler...

40 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am doing really well on transfer speculation cliche nonsense bingo.

- "pay up his contract" - check

- "give him a coaching role" - check

- "find a talented young striker from the continent" - check.

I just need a "offer him a pay as you play deal" and a "go get him Steve" and I will have a full house. Fingers crossed.

Think you'll struggle to get corners. 

"The Post understands that news on the retained list is not set to be released in the time frame given by head coach Lee Johnson.

Johnson said ahead of the game with Birmingham City that the list would be out either on the 14th or 15th of May."

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Just what we need, another inexperienced coach.

No sentiment for me. Thank Wilbs and Little for the fantastic contribution to the club but release. Make Bobby Reid, O'Neil and possibly Tomlin available for transfer. Same with Fielding if a new GK is lined up. May sound tough but if we want to progress we have to be ruthless with our budget.

can johnson be classed as inexperienced though?, we are his third club his 4th year in management and he's been coaching since around 26

10 minutes ago, !james said:

"The Post understands that news on the retained list is not set to be released in the time frame given by head coach Lee Johnson.

Johnson said ahead of the game with Birmingham City that the list would be out either on the 14th or 15th of May."

Interesting...

Held up due to Wilbs wanting to be player/coach maybe? Rumour courtesy of @Fordy62 via Joe Bryan's cat's niece, C-Fur. 

This is the Evil Post though. So it'll be out within the hour I don't doubt...

2 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Interesting...

Held up due to Wilbs wanting to be player/coach maybe? Rumour courtesy of @Fordy62 via Joe Bryan's cat's niece, C-Fur. 

This is the Evil Post though. So it'll be out within the hour I don't doubt...

Just Mark Little on the list then .

Is SL flying in from a Tibetan monastery a Black belt in Caligraphy to write this list using Adam Matthew's sweat collected from his first team performances this season ? 

31 minutes ago, !james said:

14th of May? They're off their nut if they thought it was going to come out on a Sunday.

33 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

can johnson be classed as inexperienced though?, we are his third club his 4th year in management and he's been coaching since around 26

Yes at this level, add in Holden and Jamie Mac. Not a criticism but feel another rookie coach being added just because he's a good pro isn't necessary, I would like to have seen an experienced assistant who can help mentor these guys but that would mean significant investment into the backroom team which we usually seem reluctant to do.

13 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Yes at this level, add in Holden and Jamie Mac. Not a criticism but feel another rookie coach being added just because he's a good pro isn't necessary, I would like to have seen an experienced assistant who can help mentor these guys but that would mean significant investment into the backroom team which we usually seem reluctant to do.

Surely anyone 'good' will be employed elsewhere.

47 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

We could have brought in an 'experienced assistant' when JP was dispensed with , if that is what was / is required

JM Was SLs and Johnsons call

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

We could have brought in an 'experienced assistant' when JP was dispensed with , if that is what was / is required

JM Was SLs and Johnsons call

to be fair, we don't know what coaching he's been doing behind the scenes, Look at Johnson, it wasn't until long after he left that we found out he'd been coaching the under 12s (I think),

An exe player doesn't always mean he's a rookie coach

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

to be fair, we don't know what coaching he's been doing behind the scenes, Look at Johnson, it wasn't until long after he left that we found out he'd been coaching the under 12s (I think),

An exe player doesn't always mean he's a rookie coach

I'm not arguing that we should or shouldn't have gone for more experience

I was responding to the suggestion of bringing in another 'experienced assistant ' to compliment or mentor the three we've already got

SL/MA/LJ have clearly made a decision not to do this as they could have done instead if Holden or JM - they didn't - they've gone for people LJ knows & will fit in

Thats their choice 

To suggest anyone has coaching experience as they've coached U12s is IMHO totally irrelevant

It may give them practice setting up sessions but in no way can be correlated to coaching pros

I can put on coaching sessions - would they impress pros ?

I very much doubt it , as their first question is who are you / where have you played / coached

As a ex-pro player you at least have a chance to earn the chance to show some credibility and may impress with your coaching skills (As LJ / Holden & JM may do / have done) but experience is a different thing / gives a different skill set

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'm not arguing that we should or shouldn't have gone for more experience

I was responding to the suggestion of bringing in another 'experienced assistant ' to compliment or mentor the three we've already got

SL/MA/LJ have clearly made a decision not to do this as they could have done instead if Holden or JM - they didn't - they've gone for people LJ knows & will fit in

Thats their choice 

To suggest anyone has coaching experience as they've coached U12s is IMHO totally irrelevant

It may give them practice setting up sessions but in no way can be correlated to coaching pros

I can put on coaching sessions - would they impress pros ?

I very much doubt it , as their first question is who are you / where have you played / coached

As a ex-pro player you at least have a chance to earn the chance to show some credibility and may impress with your coaching skills (As LJ / Holden & JM may do / have done) but experience is a different thing / gives a different skill set

I don't think it's irrelevant, it shows you have experience coaching at different age group's I wouldn't want wilbs as a assistant head coach, I'd want him to sat with in the coaching set up though, maybe helping with Alex Ball or with Tinman in the academy,

Offering him a player/coach or just a coaching contract doesn't automatically mean he'd be a first team coach 

Archived