IGNORED

Boro are already talking big

Dullmoan Tone

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

I know that's what I said 

They're using money they've not generated, it's only same as failure payments, they can pay big wages because they have a milti millionaire bank rolling them and throwing money at it, FFP My arsehole. 

I agree with you but the argument is about the fairness of parachute payments.

Whether it is fair for a club to bully others financially through a super rich owner is another.

City have a billionaire tax exile bankrolling us so not going to throw stones in a glass house ;)

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Much as I thought (at the time) the likes of Gartside (RIP) of Bolton was trying to selfishly protect Bolton by creating the closed shop second tier Prem, I was listening to Phil Brown last week and he explained he was trying to get to to money distributed further.  Don't get me wrong he did have Bolton's interests at heart, but he thought more than 20 clubs, circa 40 should share the money in that it was just creating a bigger and bigger gap.

The Prem table is a bit embarrassing, it's really a league of 6, 7 if you include Everton, and another of 13.

Having said that, it's never been a level playing field, but was less stretched out than it is now.

I actually think its better than it was. A few years ago it was a league of 4 with only 3 possible winners (Manyoo, Arsenal, Chelsea). As dull as dishwater.

Recently we've had Leicester win the titla and Spurs and Liverpool make serious challenges. Also the smaller clubs would be nailed on to drop back down but we've seen Bournemouth, Watford etc establish themselves. Its far from perfect but I'd say its far more competitive and interesting than 10 years ago when the only question was who out of Arsenal or Chelsea would finish second.

39 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I actually think its better than it was. A few years ago it was a league of 4 with only 3 possible winners (Manyoo, Arsenal, Chelsea). As dull as dishwater.

Recently we've had Leicester win the titla and Spurs and Liverpool make serious challenges. Also the smaller clubs would be nailed on to drop back down but we've seen Bournemouth, Watford etc establish themselves. Its far from perfect but I'd say its far more competitive and interesting than 10 years ago when the only question was who out of Arsenal or Chelsea would finish second.

Yes, you're probably right in terms of title challengers, and it's good that the promoted clubs aren't always coming straight back down, although 2/3 are this season.  It's more the huge gap between the 7th and 8th that shows the real gulf.  Perhaps this season is a bit a freak.

12 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I would of thought it would be spread between the rest of the lower leagues surely. I just looked on the website and it's rather confusing but I'm a simpleton 

Asfar as the premier league is concerned, everyone outside the top flight is a simpleton.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I agree with you but the argument is about the fairness of parachute payments.

Whether it is fair for a club to bully others financially through a super rich owner is another.

City have a billionaire tax exile bankrolling us so not going to throw stones in a glass house ;)

However, SL's ability to bankroll the club is limited by the financial rules.

Technically Man City's owners have similar restrictions, but it "helps" that the naming rights for their stadium were "sold" to the owners' company for £400m! :whistle:

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Didn't we beat them 1-0 home and away during their promotion season?

We'll do the same this time.

I used to love them back in the Juninho, Emerson, and Barmby, days...

I used to hate them in their big barstard ,no nonsense, bone crunching days .

Apart from Joe Royle's début match .

They were a typical nothing Northern club before Gibson.

I also hate the fact that they have done what we could have done over the same time period .

We, still,  have never won a major trophy in our history.

We need to put that right .

51 minutes ago, downendcity said:

However, SL's ability to bankroll the club is limited by the financial rules.

Technically Man City's owners have similar restrictions, but it "helps" that the naming rights for their stadium were "sold" to the owners' company for £400m! :whistle:

The Lansdown stadium has a certain ring to it .

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Given this..

Clubs get the following amounts over the three seasons.

In season one, 2016-17, £40 million

In season two, 2017-18,  £33 million

In season three, 2018-19, £14 million.

Does that mean that with Newcastle going straight back up that £47M is shared between the remaining 21 Championship clubs (season 2 and 3 monies)?

The money is simply not paid out; its a provision IF the club remains in the Championship as a 'contingency' fund.

As I understand it the Premier League still pay out to the lower leagues on a purely voluntary basis.

18 hours ago, Wheatus is back said:

What a mug gobbing off like that , i cant see them going straight up with the players they will lose , the others aren't that great . 

Steve Gibson is far from being a mug

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

with the money they get for being relegated and the fact they haven't spent big and still have a good squad, boro should piss this league, but I still think Birmingham and Villa will get auto's next season

Why do you thInk Brum will get automatic promotion ? 

19 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Problem is the Premier League is declining despite all the hype, it essentially only a seven team league, Everton are 7th and WBA are 8th a full 15 points adrift. The Broadcasters will do anything they can to sustain this money pot.

Most leagues have this though, it's not Premier League specific. The French league has Monaco top (with a game in hand) and PSG second who are 12 and 9 points clear of 3rd and 23 and 20 points clear of 4th. In Italy the top 3 are within 5 points of eachother but 4th are 10 points off 3rd and 15 off top. Even in the Dutch league 4th are 14 points off 3rd and 20 off top.

On 2017-5-15 at 16:44, Bar BS3 said:

The FA won't do anything about. 

It's the best way of getting the "big clubs" back into the Orem asap. Unfortunately for them, they have to make it the same for all clubs that go down. 

It will never change because above and beyond all else, the governing body will protect the best interests of the premier league. 

Agreed, and they will continue to do so because they know that if they even threaten to change the current situation a European League will raise its head again and in that scenario the FA gravy train will come to a sudden halt!

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

with the money they get for being relegated and the fact they haven't spent big and still have a good squad, boro should piss this league, but I still think Birmingham and Villa will get auto's next season

I fancy Villa because Steve Bruce is a shrewd and experienced manager - the challenge he has in the owner who may get trigger happy during any rough spell.

On 16/05/2017 at 08:45, Davefevs said:

Yes, you're probably right in terms of title challengers, and it's good that the promoted clubs aren't always coming straight back down, although 2/3 are this season....

That's one of my fave triv questions....when was the first time all three clubs promoted to the premier league all stayed up? And was the last time?

First time: 2000-2001 - Fulham, Blackburn and Bolton

Last time: 2010-2011: QPR, Swansea and Norwich

Just had a look at parachute payments and Boro get £47M next year, £38M in 18/19, but nothing after that, as it was limited to two years for teams spending only one season in the Prem (Co-incidentally introduced when Bournemouth went up). Year 3 would be about £20m. Apparently it's being reviewed again, because some owners are allegedly pocketing it, and the Big 6 don't like the Burnley/ WBA approach of sensible budgeting! 

8 hours ago, Chappers said:

Just had a look at parachute payments and Boro get £47M next year, £38M in 18/19, but nothing after that, as it was limited to two years for teams spending only one season in the Prem (Co-incidentally introduced when Bournemouth went up). Year 3 would be about £20m. Apparently it's being reviewed again, because some owners are allegedly pocketing it, and the Big 6 don't like the Burnley/ WBA approach of sensible budgeting! 

Yes they will get the above PLUS £100m+ for the season that is about to end.

In some ways a farce but it shows that given things are unlikely to change you do all you can to get there and even if you get relegated with zero points you are then capable of mounting a challenge to get back the following season and the season after if you fail first time and so on as you have the best part of £200m coming in.

Also it is classified as income so FFP doesn't interfere.

Whoever wins the play-off final is likely to be relegated next season, but so what, they can then go again and again and eventually have a decent chance of stabilising in the EPL.

I would suggest that it is a way to become a 'self sustaining' club.

The reality is that the longer established Championship clubs don't get at least one season in the top league the less likely that they ever will, as more and more clubs will have the above benefits.

Archived