IGNORED

Cotts

BRISTOL86

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course. LJ had nothing to do with any of it...!

He has an infinitely superior support structure around him, and more funds at his disposal. Even with that, he nearly got us relegated.

Mark Ashton vs Keith Dawe. Hmmm.

31 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

He has an infinitely superior support structure around him, and more funds at his disposal. Even with that, he nearly got us relegated.

I've seen this line trotted out for a year with not a shred of actual evidence. I must have imagined enormous sums of money being made available for several high profile targets who didn't want to come here? 

In fact when has a City manager ever not been backed financially? You don't rack up £35m of debt to write off without backing your managers. 

Lazy argument. Especially when you bring the sale of Kodjia into it. 

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

There's that phrase again.... infinitely superior.

But here's some links to counteract your statement

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11706/9945257/crystal-palace-accept-6m-bristol-city-bid-for-dwight-gayle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33974678

So Gray is £9M and Gayle would have totalled upto £8M which by my calculations is 17M plus Maguire around £3M... so thats actually £20M.

More funds? I think not

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

How much did Cotts attempt to sign Gray and Gayle for again...?

Steve Cotterill felt we needed Championship experience in key positions.....McGuire Grey initially then Kermogant and Gayle. SL was unwilling,at first, to pay the fees and tried to renegotiate...then agreed to the fees but not the wages they wanted.

So Cotterill was - and also wasn't - backed......more a difference of opinion on the way forward and there's only one winner there, and ee all saw how bad a loser SC was after lost games.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

There's that phrase again.... infinitely superior.

But here's some links to counteract your statement

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11706/9945257/crystal-palace-accept-6m-bristol-city-bid-for-dwight-gayle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33974678

So Gray is £9M and Gayle would have totalled upto £8M which by my calculations is 17M plus Maguire around £3M... so thats actually £20M.

More funds? I think not

Three top players targeted. Shame  the club couldn't deliver .

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Three top players targeted. Shame  the club couldn't deliver .

Or maybe its a case of going after unrealistic players. They weren't interested in joining us regardless... some footballers want to play at the highest level, they had more of a chance with clubs they join or stayed at. Nothing wrong with that

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If only there was a magic ball, so we could see how each manager would fare with us in the Championship and we could pick the one with the better record. 

Well, I've got Led Zeppelin 2 on vinyl,  so I guess the job's mine!

And I am at present coaching the 5-7 year olds at the local school.

So plenty of experience as well.

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

cotts never had the wedge though that johnson had

As above, if the club had actually managed to get the players in then he'd have spent more than LJ did. Just they had unrealistic targets. 

Just now, hodge said:

As above, if the club had actually managed to get the players in then he'd have spent more than LJ did. Just they had unrealistic targets. 

yes but look where those players that he was chasing ended up an how their valuation has escalated cotts was trying to move too quick for lansdown an frightened him to death with the transfer fees involved 

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

yes but look where those players that he was chasing ended up an how their valuation has escalated cotts was trying to move too quick for lansdown an frightened him to death with the transfer fees involved 

That doesn't change the statement 'Cotts never had the wedge that Johnson had' as we had bids accepted for the players so we were offering the fees, we couldn't get the players over the line for whatever reason, and Cotts didn't have a player sold for £11m to allow for extra spending.

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

Not really though, Gray scored plenty in the Championship with Brentford... They would've commanded a big big fee which would be the norm.

Gayle was a totally unrealistic target, he was never coming here. Pretty sure Cotterill admitted that once the deal was dead

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Not really though, Gray scored plenty in the Championship with Brentford... They would've commanded a big big fee which would be the norm.

Gayle was a totally unrealistic target, he was never coming here. Pretty sure Cotterill admitted that once the deal was dead

£6m rising to £9m wasn't it?

Just now, hodge said:

That doesn't change the statement 'Cotts never had the wedge that Johnson had' as we had bids accepted for the players so we were offering the fees, we couldn't get the players over the line for whatever reason, and Cotts didn't have a player sold for £11m to allow for extra spending.

as you just stated sold kodja money for bolasie ayling cunningham all cotts players so we actually didnt spend nowhere near what we sold but brought in all young average players

5 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I suspect that is not far from the truth. I never believed Gayle would come to AG but I thought Gray was a possible and we could have certainly made a profit on him.

Also, I recall Harry McGuire being linked at one point, I noticed in the press at the weekend,and yes of course it could be bollocks, that  the asking price is going to be £15m+ should he move on thsi summer. I think we were 'quoted' as bidding £2.5m two years ago.

Archived