IGNORED

Cotts

BRISTOL86

1 hour ago, Selred said:

The biggest issue with Cotts for me was stubbornness.

Stubbornness to keep the same formation week in week out. 

Stubbornness to not put any kids on the bench and rather have an empty seat.

yes will agree with you on that he should have tried something different but took this bloke twenty odd games to get it right

As much as I love cotts he had players there was certainly some odd signings. Moore and Robinson on loan who completely flopped here but went on to work wonders. Cunningham POTY at PNE but then again we all thought Bryan was a world beater.

I honestly think LJ has learnt from this season. If we are struggling after our first ten games then we will sack him anyway!.....Maybe 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To think this thread was meant to be about his next managerial job not his last one. Silly me. 

You seem surprised.

I'm not. There's at least another 3-4 pages they can drag out of this yet, then it'll be time for the next thread to be hijacked.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

As I said, not getting into this again but for the record, panic bids who don't come off (you actually have to buy/loan a player for them to improve your team) after a summer of boardroom failings & missing out on actual realistic targets isn't the most watertight response I've ever heard.

Funnily enough, neither LJ nor SC left their targets until August. But one of them had an infinitely superior support network to get them done. Say what you like about MA and he is a slimy bastard, he gets stuff done. The other had Keith Dawe. Go figure.

A fair comment and I actually like MA, like you said he gets stuff done

19 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

As much as I love cotts he had players there was certainly some odd signings. Moore and Robinson on loan who completely flopped here but went on to work wonders. Cunningham POTY at PNE but then again we all thought Bryan was a world beater.

I honestly think LJ has learnt from this season. If we are struggling after our first ten games then we will sack him anyway!.....Maybe 

Don't forget Fredericks... major bust up here with Cotterill but now a part of promotion chasing Fulham...

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Thought he was homesick? Before anyone laughs I genuinely thought this was true....

Think that was the reason given. Alleged bust up with another player, not Cotterill. 

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

If Forest Green kick on and get to League One I reckon that's a job that'll eventually suit Cotts when it becomes available.

He'd relish a good meaty challenge to get his teeth into.  :farmer: 

Shame they're vegan...

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Think if things dont start well for paul cook or he leaves for wigan he'd get another crack at pompey. 

That's a good shout, Pompey would be a perfect fit for Cotts ...... despite all the debate and differing opinions on here (which is what a forum is all about) I loved THAT season that Cotts gave us....he restored our pride, we turned up knowing full well that we'd have a team that gave absolutely everything in every game. And we had a team that would prove way too strong for most of our opponents.

And what a team....the others couldn't live with us, we got 99 points (despite Swindon claiming the league title in November) and we won the bl***y division....the first time I've seen us win a division in my lifetime...and I didn't mind his pettiness in interviews when we lost, which wasn't very often, it showed how much he cared and how much every defeat hurt him. He didn't sneer, or laugh or come across as slightly smug (who can I mean?!) he just hated losing.

It was a shame his tactical stubbornness cost him when we went up, but there's no room for too much sentiment in football.....not ashamed to say I shed a few tears when we won the 3rd division...but he had to go after we plummeted in the championship....but I will forever remember his tenure with a happy smile and a sense of pride...cheers Cotts and good luck!

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Think that was the reason given. Alleged bust up with another player, not Cotterill. 

Cotterill gave him several public bollockings and he didn't really fancy any more. Don't really blame him, either.

I'd back SC on most of his dealings that summer but the way he treated Fredericks was not one of them.

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Cotts did ok at Burnley. 13th in his first season, kept them competitive with a very small squad and budget despite losing 3 top strikers (Robbie Blake, Akinbiyi, and Andy Gray). When he left 3 years later he was the longest serving championship manager.

Hardly out of his depth..............or had you never heard of him before he joined City?

Yep.

A mate of mine who is a massive Burnley fan loves him. 

Id certainly take him over LJ anyday.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's a good shout, Pompey would be a perfect fit for Cotts 

As far as im aware Pompy fans can't stand cotts. Used to work with a pompy fan and he basically said that because pompy were in decline his personality really pissed the fans off.

6 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Or maybe its a case of going after unrealistic players. They weren't interested in joining us regardless... some footballers want to play at the highest level, they had more of a chance with clubs they join or stayed at. Nothing wrong with that

Indeed: Gray, Kermogant, and Gayle could all be playing in the Prem next season (even Macguire might get a transfer after his performance with Hull this season).

The players backed the right horses.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Digressing slightly but still related.. it seems that a quiet trip to vegas was attended almost exclusively by the core of the promotion squad. Seems that squad really did have a genuine bond.

Cunningham is there and even Simon Cox !

IMG_9787.PNG

Who is the bald bloke bottom right?

Archived