IGNORED

Premier League Teams - Should we be embarassed?

tinman85

Burnley, Palace, Brighton, Hudds or Reading, Bmuff, Swansea, Stoke....the list goes on! Take away the top 7 and perhaps Newcastle and West Ham it is a real lower league division.

Should we be embarrassed when we also look at clubs like Barnsley, Bradford, Cardiff and Hull making it to the premier league where as we as a club are arguably bigger or on a par with those listed, but continuously fail to achieve a promotion push to the top flight.

I wonder whether we need to look at our approach to signings, management teams, academies etc. Where has SL failed where these clubs have succeeded? Interesting debate. 

Yes, I think we should be embarrassed.  Considering our demographic, we have to be the most underachieving team in the Football League (we once competed with Hull City for this, but they have clearly done better than us in the past decade).  That we have only once got anywhere close to the top tier in 37 years is little short of astonishing when you think about it.

Reasons?  Where to start?  Is it something about Bristol as a place?  There is so much going for Bristol as a city and yet we have no top notch performance venue and no top grade sports teams. I've given up trying to fathom the answer, but you really think we should not have the profile we have.

last night the sky presenter remarked that Huddersfield have got to the PO final on a similar budget to Rotherham!

SL also has,remarked that he was shocked when Huw Jenkins - Swansea chairman - told him their wage bill was half of City's for the season they got promotion to PL.

So it's not wages

Burnley Stoke Bournemouth Brighton Swansea Palace and possibly Huddersfield have all done it initially without parachute payments - LJ and MA's favourite fall back excuse.

So it's not parachute money.

Not another pop at LJ as it's been like this long before he came in but it has to be quality of manager and the quality of player he brings in.

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, I think we should be embarrassed.  Considering our demographic, we have to be the most underachieving team in the Football League (we once competed with Hull City for this, but they have clearly done better than us in the past decade).  That we have only once got anywhere close to the top tier in 37 years is little short of astonishing when you think about it.

Reasons?  Where to start?  Is it something about Bristol as a place?  There is so much going for Bristol as a city and yet we have no top notch performance venue and no top grade sports teams. I've given up trying to fathom the answer, but you really think we should not have the profile we have.

We are too nice, and too accepting of mediocrity and "knowing our place".

Personally I think that attitude is bollocks....let's start being nasty bastards.

6 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Personally I think that attitude is bollocks....let's start being nasty bastards.

No one likes us we don't care we are City super City no one likes us we don't care.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Burnley, Palace, Brighton, Hudds or Reading, Bmuff, Swansea, Stoke....the list goes on! Take away the top 7 and perhaps Newcastle and West Ham it is a real lower league division.

Should we be embarrassed when we also look at clubs like Barnsley, Bradford, Cardiff and Hull making it to the premier league where as we as a club are arguably bigger or on a par with those listed, but continuously fail to achieve a promotion push to the top flight.

I wonder whether we need to look at our approach to signings, management teams, academies etc. Where has SL failed where these clubs have succeeded? Interesting debate. 

No. You and we have no bearing on what happens at Ashton Gate. Mr Lansdown has said as much.

51 minutes ago, cynic said:

I would argue that the likes of Cardiff and Hull are demonstrably "bigger" clubs having several stints in the Premier League and cup finals. Bradford have as much potential as City and Barnsley have spent more time above us than below. We are miles behind Palace, Swansea and Stoke imo.

We are just one of 24 clubs trying to reach the promised land every season and the odds are stacked against us and getting more difficult. I can't see that we are any different to a lot of other clubs in this division in that respect.

Another factor is the Premiership mentality that some clubs and their supporters have and which we patently don't.

As it stands anything around 15th in this division would be our mark, anything above that would be good. But we are moving in the right direction...slowly.

Agreed. We "hope" to get to the Prem. The rest "intend to"! A subtle but very big difference.

Goes back a long way. I remember Harry Dolman at a shareholders meeting in the sixties stating "We'll never be another Tottenham Hotspur". Followed by silence. 

He should have added "But we'll give it a good try".

Lack of ambition I'm afraid. Not a pop at LJ who I'd say has confounded his critics (myself included) by keeping us up, but the powers that be at the Gate are more comfortable with "comfortable" appointments than with handing the reins to a manager who will challenge for the top. And for me the key is having the right man in charge...as evidence I give you this season's Championship top 6.

The one exception in the Lansdown era was Steve Coppell...someone who had actually been there and done it and had a national profile. But that didn't end well and is the source, I suspect, of taking the comfortable option ever since. And that seems fine for the majority of City fans, an ever increasing proportion of whom have no recollection of success being anything other than a day at Wembley in the lower-league trophy and an occasional promotion from League One. Those of us who saw us slip out of the top flight in 1980 would have been amazed to be told then that 37 years later we'd consider mid-table mediocrity in the second tier to be the height of ambition...

13 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Over egging the pudding in my opinion.

If Morecambe and Wise represent the gold standard, I'd put us on par with Mike and Bernie Winters.

Unfortunately I think we're closer to Schnorbitz.

22 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Over egging the pudding in my opinion.

If Morecambe and Wise represent the gold standard, I'd put us on par with Mike and Bernie Winters.

still better than The Krankies (Sags).

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I agree. I have just gone next door and stamped on their little girl's pet rabbit. Ha!

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

No. You and we have no bearing on what happens at Ashton Gate. Mr Lansdown has said as much.

Oh bollocks.

Does anyone know where I can buy a looky likey black and white rabbit before school finishes today?

1 minute ago, Mad Cyril said:

I agree. I have just gone next door and stamped on their little girl's pet rabbit. Ha!

Oh bollocks.

Does anyone know where I can buy a looky likey black and white rabbit before school finishes today?

You can only stamp the living daylights out of inoffensive rodents WHEN STEVE SAYS SO!

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

2008 Watford, Palace, Hull & City were the four teams in the Championship play offs. 

2013 Hull won auto promotion BACK to the Prem, Watford & Palace met in the playoff final. City were relegated to L1, bottom club in the Champioship.

Archived