IGNORED

i phone

Markman

not a phone user of any ability - but Mrs Markman wants to BUY (not contract) - a cheap 2nd hand i phone that will allow her to make "facetime" calls to our little granddaughter - I have seen this work and it looks good - would ebay be a safe place to get one or does anyone have any ideas (something like an iphone 4 maybe to keep the cost reasonable)

52 minutes ago, Markman said:

not a phone user of any ability - but Mrs Markman wants to BUY (not contract) - a cheap 2nd hand i phone that will allow her to make "facetime" calls to our little granddaughter - I have seen this work and it looks good - would ebay be a safe place to get one or does anyone have any ideas (something like an iphone 4 maybe to keep the cost reasonable)

I have an iPhone and am looking to upgrade to a newer version.

back on this - found a cheap Iphone 4 (all I need) - ex 02 contract and locked to O2 which I can live with if I get a pay as you go sim - but does anyone know if O2 would unlock it  - or how much it would cost to unlock?

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 4 personally.. Not sure how far back the Apple updates stretch, but after a while Apple stop producing software/firmware updates for older models of their phones which mean they don't work as well and will seem slow and sluggish.

I would recommend an iPhone 5c for what you need. Relatively cheap now, a newer version than the 4. 

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp684?locale=en_GB

eBay is usually OK, unlocking cost me around £15 from memory.

To spread the cost, I would recommend contract so try and talk her round'!

I actually think an iPad might be your best option. My grandparents love theirs, they use them for similar reasons that you want to, really user friendly and bigger screen so it's better for FaceTime. I believe our very own @Robbored can attest to the great usability of iPads. Easy to read books and watch films on there too if that's your thing. I appreciate this may be out of your budget though.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 4 personally.. Not sure how far back the Apple updates stretch, but after a while Apple stop producing software/firmware updates for older models of their phones which mean they don't work as well and will seem slow and sluggish.

I would recommend an iPhone 5c for what you need. Relatively cheap now, a newer version than the 4. 

eBay is usually OK, unlocking cost me around £15 from memory.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp684?locale=en_GB

Cheers - the thing is the phone will only be used for calls and Face time - so long as that works we will be ok

Just now, Markman said:

Cheers - the thing is the phone will only be used for calls and Face time - so long as that works we will be ok

Just added a bit more info above re: iPads

An iPhone 4 would do that, but may not work that well after a year to 18 months. I believe in the conspiracy that Apple purposely try and make older generations of their products less usable as time goes on.. I'm sure my iPhone 6 felt much slower after the 7 came out!

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I actually think an iPad might be your best option. My grandparents love theirs, they use them for similar reasons that you want to, really user friendly and bigger screen so it's better for FaceTime. I believe our very own @Robbored can attest to the great usability of iPads. Easy to read books and watch films on there too if that's your thing. I appreciate this may be out of your budget though.

Quite correct PF.

I have a laptop but can't remember the last time I turned it on. I use my iPad now for absolutely everything I previously did on my laptop. I have a wifi printer for any documents.

It's a truly amazing  piece of kit.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Quite correct PF.

I have a laptop but can't remember the last time I turned it on. I use my iPad now for absolutely everything I previously did on my laptop. I have a wifi printer for any documents.

It's a truly amazing  piece of kit.

I think for older internet users, they're far more usable than phones and even laptops. Nice big keyboard, very minimalist, easy to use and charge. Don't tend to go wrong either. Would you agree there @Robbored?

Based on my own grandparents experience, and yours too by the sounds of things, they're well worth the outlay for someone like @Markmanalthough I appreciate you might want something a fair bit cheaper. 

You can read newspapers, do the crossword, watch videos, read books, post on OTIB.. perfect really.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I think for older internet users, they're far more usable than phones and even laptops. Nice big keyboard, very minimalist and easy to use and charge. Don't tend to go wrong either. Would you agree there?

Based on my own grandparents experience, and yours too by the sounds of things, they're well worth the outlay. 

You can read newspapers, do the crossword, watch videos, read books.. perfect really.

My iPad occasionally loses sound but a reboot rectifies that immediately. That's only "problem" I've encountered thus far and I've had this one for a couple of years. It cost me about £400 back then.

It's quick, easy and pretty simple to use.

I have books stored on here. I can watch any online programme via the appropriate app.

No issues with malware or other crap that I used to get on the laptop.

I'd recommend an iPad to anyone.

On 22/05/2017 at 09:24, Phileas Fogg said:

I think for older internet users, they're far more usable than phones and even laptops. Nice big keyboard, very minimalist, easy to use and charge. Don't tend to go wrong either. Would you agree there @Robbored?

Based on my own grandparents experience, and yours too by the sounds of things, they're well worth the outlay for someone like @Markmanalthough I appreciate you might want something a fair bit cheaper. 

You can read newspapers, do the crossword, watch videos, read books, post on OTIB.. perfect really.

And watch all your football

Sky Go - if you are a Sky subscriber

BT the same

Streams etc

A better picture than my TV and with me wherever I go as long as I have Wi-Fi  :thumbsup:

Archived