IGNORED

Joe Bryan on the move

ollywhyte

For some strange reason LJ seems to pick JB as his first name on the team sheet! 

He's been pretty bang average this season. No end product going forward, never busts a gut after losing the ball, physically weak. 

Throws a spanner in the works after every 10 games by having a worldly then plays the next 9 4/10.

9 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Potential issue if we let him go.

If Flint leaves too - which some say is likely - then having let Little go as well we will start next season with a back 4 in which none of the defenders have ever played with each other.

They play like that anyway. Our defence has been shocking for two seasons. 

Things I wasn't expecting... anyone to be interested in joey. 

Believe me, there's no one in the team I've ever wanted to up his game quite like I wanted Joe to, but he's been shit. 

But then again, I'm a police officer. I'd be shit as a paramedic. Fortunately the powers that be let me be a police officer. 

31 minutes ago, Judda said:

He was soooo good in our promotion season and never managed to hit the same heights since. I think he's set people's expectations too high by playing so well...

There is an ocean of difference between Div 1 and the championship. Some of the players from that team adapted well although most have struggled for various reasons.

I am of the opinion - stated by others above - that young Joe is suffering from a serious lack of confidence and is not a LB anyway.

This could all be media nonsense but if there is something in it and the money is right it could be a good move for the lad and BCFC.

Just now, Northern Red said:

Not a natural left back as long as he's got a hole in his arse, no matter what our esteemed Head Coach thinks.

When asked in an interview what position he saw himself as he replied "as a left back"

14 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I've said this a few times and no one has done so, but didn't he play as an attacking midfielder at Forest last season?? He was brilliant that day, alongside Reid

He played as a central midfielder. And yes, he was amazing. There was an immense pass for an assist if I remember correctly. 

Bu then he became a left back again. And returned to being shit. 

Having had time to think about it, I think most are being harsh on Joe Bryan. Joe Bryan in a good team will be as good as any left back in the league. It was tough on Joe for a lot of the year as he was played behind wingers that didn't track back. Then when O'Dowda was played in front of him or the rejuvenated Paterson his form picked up. The team was in poor form then Joe was. The team is in good form and Joe looks class. He'd be an asset to either of those teams because they will look to dominate games at this level. 

So, I think it would be mad to sell him. He's still young enough that he can have much better seasons ahead of him. Plus, I think he is the perfect LB for how we want to play. Some saying for 2.5m they'd drive him there, well I wouldn't. It would take at least double that for me. Where he played his academy football has nothing to do with it either. He's a good player and one we should be looking to hold on to. Now, if he thinks it's time to go then we have to look at it but otherwise he should stay. 

38 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Will be a shame to see him go but like Little, he's a natural wing back which is a position we are not looking to accommodate. 

In time I'm sure he will become a very good left back but I think he needs the change to get back on track

Everything is just too comfortable,too cozy here maybe-home town,coming through the ranks.complacency.

A move north,different approach living in another part of the country-freshens the mind does a change.

Good luck to you, Joe.go for it..

19 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I've said this a few times and no one has done so, but didn't he play as an attacking midfielder at Forest last season?? He was brilliant that day, alongside Reid

He was. He also played left centre mid at home to Huddersfield season before last. They couldn't deal with his bravery & quick direct running. I remember seeing the experienced Dean Whitehead shaking his head many a time during that match as Joe flew past him each time. I come away from that game thinking this is the only position JB will excel in at this level (IMO). Never been given a run their unfortunately.  A victim of his versatility.

He's a strong player with lots of assets. Pacy, two-footed, decent in the air, capable of crossing well. Why sell him ? 

He was brilliant in promotion season and very good at times in the last 2 seasons. He seems to switch off a bit to easily at times but that will sort itself out. 

Whether he's a Left Back or Wing Back or Midfielder doesn't really matter as he's potentially very good at all of them. 

He does a lot of Community work at City and is the type of player at the age we should be keeping if we are serious about progressing . 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

He certainly should focus on being a left back. When he has played as a winger I have never seen him beat his man any other way than kick it towards the byline and cross. Very one dimensional with his upright running means that he suits full back more than left wing. Personally I'd like to see him stay but 2.5 million is quite the dangling carrot

He is not a winger. City play narrow shapes (amongst quite a few) with wide players tucking in frequently. The position is moving towards obsolete as its considered a waste having a player/players hugging the touchline and generally being on the periphery free from defensive responsibility.

I would describe Joe Bryan as anything but one dimensional, erratic yes, but technically adept.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Probably the right sort of time for him to move. Maybe he needs a move away from Bristol and his family to really focus on improving as a player - not saying he doesn't already, but a change of scenery from what he's always known might be a benefit to his development.

He's clearly talented, I think his issues are more psychological - I think he seems to lack a bit of confidence and ruthlessness on the pitch.

Probably something in that.  I see it a lot in 'real life' whereby guys can't 'grow up' as they are still too attached to Mum.  We call it co-dependency .  I don't know enough about JB to know, but it is a common situation in general.

As has been said, he's also a bright enough and talented enough guy (and well paid enough!) to coast on through but the cracks are showing in his performances.  

To get him out of his comfort zone would make/break him.   I'd wager if he were to go to Derby, he'd have enough about him to progress developmentally.  

20 minutes ago, redapple said:

He's a strong player with lots of assets. Pacy, two-footed, decent in the air, capable of crossing well. Why sell him ? 

He was brilliant in promotion season and very good at times in the last 2 seasons. He seems to switch off a bit to easily at times but that will sort itself out. 

Whether he's a Left Back or Wing Back or Midfielder doesn't really matter as he's potentially very good at all of them. 

He does a lot of Community work at City and is the type of player at the age we should be keeping if we are serious about progressing . 

Totally agree , for all the inconsistency he is a class act , full back may not of course be his best position ongoing, but glad for him to go absolutely not, watch what you wish for .

Just now, Cowshed said:

ine is not a winger. City play narrow shapes (amongst quite a few) with wide players tucking in frequently. The position is moving towards obsolete as its considered a waste having a player/players hugging the touchline and generally being on the periphery free from defensive responsibility.

I would describe Joe Bryan as anything but one dimensional, erratic yes, but technically adept.

I meant one dimensional In how he deals with a one on one with a defender. Not as a player generally

25 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

Take the money and get Cunningham back. Apparently a little unhappy at the mo!

I expect he is, he broke his leg a couple of games before the end of the season! He still managed to go to Vegas with our lads though last week.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

JB is steady enough at left back. He rarely gets skinned by a nippy winger. Bombs forward well and gets in some decent crosses.

Being a local lad I actually don't think JB would want to go anywhere else. 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  You haven't noticed his lack of football/tactical brain then ? He constantly lets his man run off him and has resulted in numerous goals we've conceded this season either directly or indirectly. If someone came in with £2.5m i'd snatch their hand off. 

I'm sure there is a better player within Joe, but we don't seem him too often in the Championship. He used to have a hell of a jump on him, now it appears half hearted. Could be a confidence thing as others suggest.

One of his best mates, Jamal Ford-Robinson, has just left Bristol to join Northampton. Joe often went to matches to watch him, and Jamal came to our games, I've seen him at away games too. Think this must be quite unsettling for him personally.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Probably the right sort of time for him to move. Maybe he needs a move away from Bristol and his family to really focus on improving as a player - not saying he doesn't already, but a change of scenery from what he's always known might be a benefit to his development.

He's clearly talented, I think his issues are more psychological - I think he seems to lack a bit of confidence and ruthlessness on the pitch.

I think he's been going through the motions here for a while. Does he really WANT to be a professional footballer because sometimes he seems to lack that edge or desire. However, £2.5m is peanuts. 

Archived