IGNORED

Joe Bryan on the move

ollywhyte

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well you've completely misunderstood the nuances of the point then. I can't be bothered to spell it out to you either, was just a theoretical example to help someone else understand my point.

This debate over a minor discussion point is rapidly digressing so much that the original intended point has been lost. I'll leave it here. I'll see if I can find the original blog because it was an interesting read.

stop telling people they are missing the point. you made it. people understood it. answered it politely and disagreed with it. 

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Are Bristol City?

I think it is fairer to look at Joe Bryan in a consistent team, with consistent tactics and team selection to judge.

Personally I would like to see Joe Bryan playing in the above in front of a capable left back.

He has played there plenty of times and his crossing at times is shocking. The best games i have seen him have were in centre mid.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:14, cidered abroad said:

A good deal of truth in this post. I remember Gerry Gow once saying that he worked so hard at becoming a professional footballer because the alternative back home in Glasgow was the dole queue. He succeeded at City where some very talented local lads only showed their true skills very intermittently and never had a hope of becoming regulars in the first team.

Many have the skills required in all sports and other walks of life but it's the grit and determination to succeed that takes anyone to the top of their chosen profession. Eric Bristow once said that there are thousands of pub darts players who can throw doubles and trebles all day long. But they cannot do it on a stage, with bright lights, TV cameras, 2 or 3,000 people screaming at them.

PS. Like previous poster this is not any sort of dig at Joe Bryan who I consider to be a very good footballer with his inconsistency highlighted by the dreadful team season we've just had.

Excellent point. I wouldn't like to judge any individual player on his performances in this omnishambles of a season :(

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well you've completely misunderstood the nuances of the point then. I can't be bothered to spell it out to you either, was just a theoretical example to help someone else understand my point.

This debate over a minor discussion point is rapidly digressing so much that the original intended point has been lost. I'll leave it here. I'll see if I can find the original blog because it was an interesting read.

I should give up mate

Gerrard

Rooney

Gascoigne

Ferdinand

Dele Ali

all from tough / testing backgrounds , the list is endless

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I should give up mate

Gerrard

Rooney

Gascoigne

Ferdinand

Dele Ali

Messi , son of a millionaire banker . 

Suckled on the titties of Barca since the age of five .

Best player in the world , spoilt rotten , on a plate . 

Ronaldo , son of millionnaire gel manufacturer.

From The age of six , players weren't allowed to tackle him or make remarks about his hairstyle .

Spoilt kid . Best player in the world .

Point made I think .

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Messi , son of a millionaire banker . 

Suckled on the titties of Barca since the age of five .

Best player in the world , spoilt rotten , on a plate . 

Ronaldo , son of millionnaire gel manufacturer.

From The age of six , players weren't allowed to tackle him or make remarks about his hairstyle .

Spoilt kid . Best player in the world .

Point made I think .

:laughcont:

Did he double up as a steel factory manager,in the evenings ?

Ronaldos father was a municipal gardener

I know you were being humorous but neither had an easy upbringing

37 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I should give up mate

Gerrard

Rooney

Gascoigne

Ferdinand

Dele Ali

and there are world class players from backgrounds that are not tough aren't there? rugby players hardly lack desire. the class argument is lazy bollocks really.

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

and there are world class players from backgrounds that are not tough aren't there? rugby players hardly lack desire. the class argument is lazy bollocks really.

Think you'd struggle to compile a list anywhere near the same - please feel free

And we are talking football not rugby , for all your 'lazy bollocks'

11 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Pirlo Kaka Vialli took seconds of struggle.

Congratulations on those three across  World Football in last 30 yrs or so

You think a similar number would come from comfortable or privliged backgrounds in comparison to a hard upbringing do you ?

I think he needs a move if he wants to get somewhere, he has brilliant skill. He reminds me of Ribeiro in the fact they both had great ball skills and were played as full backs ( maybe memory was wrong but think ribs was RB). But neither could defend that well.

I think even though it seems mad to put him at LB because he positional awareness is awful, I can see why LJ has said he can be a premier league full back... In the fact that he cant defend but is lethal when running from deep. LJ tried him on the wing but he's quite easy to mark out of games. I think his best position was last season in midfield 3 where he mainly played in behind the striker/CAM (tomlin at the time) . As him Kodjia and tomlin are all completely on the same wavelength when it comes to quick passing football. So I believe he can make it into a decent top 6 champ team easily and possibly low prem, but if played in the right position or at LB but with a LM who doesn't attack and mainly covers Bryan.

6 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

weird thing is people on here is people cant see that. academy staff raved about that skill. the fifa players seem to think his crossing is poor no its the opposite!! 

I think the problem is people think he has regressed.... I disagree I think his career has stalled and LJ has messed about with Bryan last season playing him in every position except goalie which with his Samon like jump maybe he wouldn't be so bad . Only at the end of the season did we play Brownhill play infront of Bryan which gave some consistency but brownhill did attack quite a bit but I can imagine LJ told him to cover Bryan where possible.

7 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I think the problem is people think he has regressed.... I disagree I think his career has stalled and LJ has messed about with Bryan last season playing him in every position except goalie which with his Samon like jump maybe he wouldn't be so bad . Only at the end of the season did we play Brownhill play infront of Bryan which gave some consistency but brownhill did attack quite a bit but I can imagine LJ told him to cover Bryan where possible.

agree 100%. his carear has stalled because he has been looked upon as a jack of all trades, his skills mean he has to play further forward. his defensive skills which can be worked upon need him to be nailed down to one position to improve them. he and City were all over the placed as LJ has messed about with the team. Joe Bryan who was not good at defending to start with was made to look worse at the poorest part of his game.

Hope being nailed down to an attacking position happens at City and not elsewhere.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Congratulations on

Cheers Only took a second of thought to answer your point. . Could haver done quite a few more by didn't see the point of it. I didn't struggle to answer your post at all. Clearly attitude culture parents opportunity are more important than being born in poverty.

46 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

agree 100%. his carear has stalled because he has been looked upon as a jack of all trades, his skills mean he has to play further forward. his defensive skills which can be worked upon need him to be nailed down to one position to improve them. he and City were all over the placed as LJ has messed about with the team. Joe Bryan who was not good at defending to start with was made to look worse at the poorest part of his game.

Hope being nailed down to an attacking position happens at City and not elsewhere.

Joe Bryan is a prime example of how City are currently ran.... we start from the bottom have a good ethos...we invest in the future , the structure coaches stadium etc... but then we push comes to shove the board are not organised enough or do not like to accept change when given advice...There is a reason why our chairmen/head scouts coaching staff are never the same... we have the potential to be a great team... but it will be continued to be wasted if we carry as we are.

I'm not just blaming SL here you have remember even though he control the majority stake he works closely with the board to make all decisions...similar to how voting your favourite minister into power does not mean they get to do what they want .....aka Cameron on Brexit...I do think SL holds the most responsibility though..

For all the money he has pumped into this club... Look at Preston Barnsley... if you have a more simple organised approach to running a team you can achieve the same if not more then us...

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I should give up mate

Gerrard

Rooney

Gascoigne

Ferdinand

Dele Ali

Think John Atyeo should go on that list.

The hood of Westbury was TOUGH.

Big John lead the attack of the Westbury Bloods v the Dilton Marsh Tongs.

Just looking at one aspect of his game. He had the ability to leap like a salmon a couple of years ago. Now, he barely gets off the ground. 

Why this change? 

Has he got heavier, lost flexibility, got coached out of him, scared or just not bothered? Frankly, no idea. 

He had the potential to get to the top, just can't understand what's gone on.

Keep the faith though, LJs best managerial attribute is developing young players...... allegedly. I'm sure next season LJ will deliver and Joe will become a £50 million world-beater and even if he doesn't LJ will tell us he is. 

5 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

No idea why Sunderland would be linked with him. They'll have to shed a lot of players and dead weight in wages. They're potless and have an owner who has lost all interest. Sunderland will be heavily reliant on free transfers to replace what they may be able to sell.

I remember Sweeneys Penalties.

1 step and knock it in the corner..... sometimes.

Sunderland need a manager more than a left footer who isn't sure at the moment where his best position is.

14 hours ago, 42nite said:

I remember Sweeneys Penalties.

1 step and knock it in the corner..... sometimes.

Sunderland need a manager more than a left footer who isn't sure at the moment where his best position is.

Its the manager who is not sure. I know I bloody am!

21 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Just looking at one aspect of his game. He had the ability to leap like a salmon a couple of years ago. Now, he barely gets off the ground. 

Why this change? 

Has he got heavier, lost flexibility, got coached out of him, scared or just not bothered? Frankly, no idea. 

He had the potential to get to the top, just can't understand what's gone on.

Keep the faith though, LJs best managerial attribute is developing young players...... allegedly. I'm sure next season LJ will deliver and Joe will become a £50 million world-beater and even if he doesn't LJ will tell us he is. 

According to the stats Joe is the best LB in the Championship so think you must be missing something:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stats-say-bristol-city-need-70884

Genuinely feel he has a lot going for him but his decision making over everything is terrible. Crossing at wrong times or to the wrong place, or regularly deciding not to cross but cut inside bad shoot when the better option was to cross. All these make a big difference to a game. 

12 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

According to the stats Joe is the best LB in the Championship so think you must be missing something:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stats-say-bristol-city-need-70884

I'm amazed and demonstrates, to me at least, why relying on stats is flawed.

If our managerial team use this approach for targeting players, maybe why - despite significant investment - we haven't progressed. 

Don't get me wrong, love Joe to bits. Would be gutted if he left. However, his positioning and decision-making this season has been poor on so many occasions. At the most basic level, I still don't get how/why he has lost his 'spring'.

Sure it's a blip, form is indeed temporary and class permanent. Like with Flinty, Joe's class. 

I like Joe Bryan and think he is quality LB/WB but do admit that the last game against Brum he had his flip flops on and raring to get to the pool before Heggeler...i think we will get a good season out of him this year and cash in on him after that....Can't see Flint going anywhere either (just my opinion could be wrong)

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:04, Super said:

He has played there plenty of times and his crossing at times is shocking. The best games i have seen him have were in centre mid.

Earlier in the thread I said in front of  a stable left back. That position the past season was anything but stable. I also made a point about the proficiency of Joe Bryans crossing being generally good ( crosses v conversion).

Archived