IGNORED

Alan Williams

glynriley

Remember watching Alan good strong defensive player. Memory not so good these days but sure he had an England under 23 cap. Also he played against us in last match of season Oldham I believe which we had to win to be promoted Think big John scored winner.

yes he had White Horse in North St 

very sad rip

Oh dear very sad news. My dad knew him from Bedminster pub life after he retired from football, and my dad-in-law from being an apprentice at Ashton Gate at the same time in the late 50's.

Been told he was a quite a player.

Had the White Horse in West Street and the Miners at Farrington Gurney before that. Gary ran the Pineapple for a while.

Smashing bloke and a bit of a character he had been ill for a while I believe.

RIP Alan.

• Admin

Great bloke, I was a regular in the White Horse when he had it, played in his darts team and there was always a smile, friendly chat and a lock in, he was responsible for me being very late home and struggling to get up next day on many, many occasions.  Happened to chance on him in the Horse and Groom some years later and he hadn't changed.

Not seen him for quite a few years but sad to hear this, RIP Alan and condolences to Gary and the rest of the family.

He had three to four seasons as a regular first teamer but as soon as we were relegated in 1960, he barely played for one season before leaving for Oldham. I don't have the faintest idea why he suddenly went from a regular to an unused and apparently unwanted member of the squad.

All I can say now is that another from my first decade of supporting has gone but never forgotten by me. Condolences to his family  

21 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Remember watching Alan good strong defensive player. Memory not so good these days but sure he had an England under 23 cap. Also he played against us in last match of season Oldham I believe which we had to win to be promoted Think big John scored winner.

very sad rip

Yes I also thought he won an under 23 cap.  If memory serves the match was played at Ashton Gate.

A really good solid centre half.  Great memories of that League Two team

RIP a great City player from one of our few golden periods

19 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Horse an groom next door

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, used to go in there, both Alan and Gary were in there a lot of the time.  Both nice chaps.  Rip Alan.

Indeed I spent a fair few hours speaking to Alan about BCFC, he was a lovely man a real gent, I saw him play a fair few times he was a gifted player.

RIP Alan Williams a true gent.

On 18 May 2017 at 20:00, Victor Meldrew said:

very sad rip

RIP Alan, such a lovely bloke . Spent many a time in the Horse and Groom with him and in later life when he was a caretaker up in Kingsdown. He would often talk about the above match , when marking Atyeo he "challenged" John to shoot - he did and scored!

Archived