IGNORED

German league

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, pride of the west said:

As long as they can keep up with the pace it shouldn't be a problem. That would be the only worry. I think refs in England take in about 6 miles a game. If women can match then I can't see them being any worse in their decision making. 

Sexist. 

Just now, pride of the west said:

As long as they can keep up with the pace it shouldn't be a problem. That would be the only worry. I think refs in England take in about 6 miles a game. If women can match then I can't see them being any worse in their decision making. 

And given the figures of many top flight refs in recent years I don't see why not. 

article-2383646-1B18F170000005DC-386_306

14 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Lee Mason couldn't have covered anything like 6 miles in the Brum game surely.

It may have slipped from the memory, but Wendy Toms was the first female official in the League way back in 1991, and I understand she still referees in the National League. There are also about four assistants (linespersons?) on the current list, too. The numbers will only increase, boys, so we'd better get used to it. Give it time and it will be women who make all the decisions and dish out all the aggro! Men will be only found at a pub - or man creche, if you will.  ;)

1 minute ago, Erithacus said:

It may have slipped from the memory, but Wendy Toms was the first female official in the League way back in 1991, and I understand she still referees in the National League. There are also about four assistants (linespersons?) on the current list, too. The numbers will only increase, boys, so we'd better get used to it. Give it time and it will be women who make all the decisions and dish out all the aggro! Men will be only found at a pub - or man creche, if you will.  ;)

Maybe women managing men's teams as well 

All I care is that refs can keep up with play and know the rules, and don't become the main talking point of the game.  Yes I think women could do a good job but they need to be there on merit rather than  tokenism.  I would hope Sian Massey-Elilis  in the not too distant future would get a premier league match where she is the No 1, rather then being the No 2. She recently ran the line at Bournemouth v Burnley game . I saw her running the line at Ashton Gate and thought she did a good job, and it certainly made some of our players think before they questioned a decision

Who's arsed. If they are judged to be a good enough then they can referee. Don't care about what gender you are, too many people are obsessed with it nowadays. As long as its not in a quota then its fine.

3 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

All I care is that refs can keep up with play and know the rules, and don't become the main talking point of the game.  Yes I think women could do a good job but they need to be there on merit another tokenism.  I would hope Sian Massey-Elilis  in the not too distant future would get a premier league match where she is the No 1, rather then being the No 2. I saw her running the line at Ashton Gate and thought she need a good job, and it certainly made some of our players think before they questioned a decision

Damn! You've just stolen my post about Sian......seem to remember she was featured on a live tv game as there was a big fuss about being a female assistant (!) and every decision that was scrutinised by replay, debatable or not, she got right. Only a matter of time before she gets to officiate from the centre circle and not the touchline.

24 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Maybe women managing men's teams as well 

Shelly Kerr has had a long career as a manger in the women's game but is now in charge of men's side Stirling University. Only time...

23 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

All I care is that refs can keep up with play and know the rules, and don't become the main talking point of the game.  Yes I think women could do a good job but they need to be there on merit rather than  tokenism.  I would hope Sian Massey-Elilis  in the not too distant future would get a premier league match where she is the No 1, rather then being the No 2. She recently ran the line at Bournemouth v Burnley game . I saw her running the line at Ashton Gate and thought she did a good job, and it certainly made some of our players think before they questioned a decision

Absolute spot on post.

Plenty of women can do it, just the same as plenty of men could. Imagine Paula Radcliffe in her prime or even now? She would have aced 6 miles without breaking a sweat. Yes, I know she's an athlete but it shows that there are capable women.

And yes, those women would want to be there because they have worked hard themselves and earned it. Not just to make the FA/EFL look good on Sky.

Some of these women are just as tough as the blokes and won't put up with shit so Tomlin mouthing off at the ref for e.g. would be in big trouble!

Like others have said the presence of a female ref might reduce the amount of swearing. Even most footballers have a morale code.......:facepalm:

A female ref taking charge of a PL game would say that she'd gained the necessary experience and skills at lower levels to be seen as good enough and that's good enough for me.

17 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Woman Bishop's. Woman Clergy. Woman Prime Ministers. Woman referee's. Women football commentators. They're in charge of everything nowadays. As long as they can take the criticism when justified that's fine.

Archived