IGNORED

Anybody remember Gas in Dolman block B at the rearranged game in 96?

Rkid

What I remember of that night is 100's of S/T holders being locked out (the club had made it pay on the night/at the turnstile and hadn't done the Maths), the gates on the Williams literally being lifted as hordes of City fans waded in and my Dad making an executive decision to get me and my brothers out of there sharpish and off home.

A gashead friend of the family was in the Dolman that night and I clearly remember him describing the atmosphere to my Dad as sinister.

One of the few physical fights I was ever involved in occurred the next day at school, with gas heads.  Other gas acquaintances were bragging how they were hurling coins etc from the front of the EE towards the lower Dolman.

There is footage of the game on YouTube but I don't recommend viewing it.  

That was early 96 - the game originally scheduled for 15/12/95 was frozen off.  In December 96, Holloway (following his irresponsible pre match press conference: "I hate Bristol City and Bristol City hate me") ran for his life off of the AG turf following a R*vers pitch invasion due to a late R*vers equaliser.

Ok it's just that when chatting to a gas workmate he recalled somebody he knew got ran out of the Dolman that night when they went 2 up. Yeah it was a shambles, people sat on the steps like sardines. The 1-1 with the invasion as well, miss those days in a funny way. For a few years they nearly matched us, hopefully a distant memory, their mini revival will surely fizzle out soon. 

2 hours ago, Rkid said:

Ok it's just that when chatting to a gas workmate he recalled somebody he knew got ran out of the Dolman that night when they went 2 up. Yeah it was a shambles, people sat on the steps like sardines. The 1-1 with the invasion as well, miss those days in a funny way. For a few years they nearly matched us, hopefully a distant memory, their mini revival will surely fizzle out soon. 

Was in the East End - can't remember seeing any trouble up in the Dolman.   City fans congregating in the corner of the lower Dolman nearest the East End, no doubt missiles were exchanged between the two fractions, but I can't remember anybody getting close enough for blows to be traded.  Didn't see any bother outside as I parked in a street behind the East End, as it tended to be a bit more civilized on that side of the ground. 

There was a Bristol derby on Sky (Joe Jordan days, think it was the one when the scum got chased off the pitch) when some City fans got lost walking out the Dolman at the end of the game. They turned right at the Dolman exit gate when they should have turned left! (easy mistake to make due to disorientation).

Somehow they all ended up in the Rovers away end as the Eastend away end gates were "open" at the end of the game (Oops)!

Apparently the look on the Rovers fans faces was one of horror when 200-300 City lads "found there way into the best sweet shop" you coukd imagine!!

Feelings ran high in those days, we hated the gash, Those were the days!

This is a true story!

This was the first derby my sister came to. We were in the Atyeo that night and I remember the Gate being packed and the atmosphere definitely being hostile.

My sister burst into tears when the gas scored their second goal and we left before the end convinced it was going to erupt inside the ground.

The pages of One Team were chock full of articles tearing into the club over the utter shambles of the organisation on the night.

43 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

There was a Bristol derby on Sky (Joe Jordan days, think it was the one when the scum got chased off the pitch) when some City fans got lost walking out the Dolman at the end of the game. They turned right at the Dolman exit gate when they should have turned left! (easy mistake to make due to disorientation).

Somehow they all ended up in the Rovers away end as the Eastend away end gates were "open" at the end of the game (Oops)!

Apparently the look on the Rovers fans faces was one of horror when 200-300 City lads "found there way into the best sweet shop" you coukd imagine!!

Feelings ran high in those days, we hated the gash, Those were the days!

This is a true story!

Yes I was there, well done. I saw the mid 40s woman who got hit  by one of your 'lads'. A City mate of mine, who wasn't averse yo a bit of trouble, had the good grace to be embarrassed when he told me a few of his mates were laughing about it in the Happy Landings after , bragging that they were landing punches and 'every one was a winner'.

10 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

What I remember of that night is 100's of S/T holders being locked out (the club had made it pay on the night/at the turnstile and hadn't done the Maths), the gates on the Williams literally being lifted as hordes of City fans waded in and my Dad making an executive decision to get me and my brothers out of there sharpish and off home.

A gashead friend of the family was in the Dolman that night and I clearly remember him describing the atmosphere to my Dad as sinister.

One of the few physical fights I was ever involved in occurred the next day at school, with gas heads.  Other gas acquaintances were bragging how they were hurling coins etc from the front of the EE towards the lower Dolman.

There is footage of the game on YouTube but I don't recommend viewing it.  

That was early 96 - the game originally scheduled for 15/12/95 was frozen off.  In December 96, Holloway (following his irresponsible pre match press conference: "I hate Bristol City and Bristol City hate me") ran for his life off of the AG turf following a R*vers pitch invasion due to a late R*vers equaliser.

I remember the called off game in Dec, more to do with inside the ground, frozen steps, walkways etc, rather than a frozen pitch as i recall.

Just went on the lash through Bedminster instead as it was supposed to be a midday kick off. Waste of a day otherwise....

And not a Gashead in sight. No change there then!

Can't even recall the rearranged game. Tho no doubt i was there. Oh dear...:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes I was there, well done. I saw the mid 40s woman who got hit  by one of your 'lads'. A City mate of mine, who wasn't averse yo a bit of trouble, had the good grace to be embarrassed when he told me a few of his mates were laughing about it in the Happy Landings after , bragging that they were landing punches and 'every one was a winner'.

Winner takes all!

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

I remember the called off game in Dec, more to do with inside the ground, frozen steps, walkways etc, rather than a frozen pitch as i recall.

Just went on the lash through Bedminster instead as it was supposed to be a midday kick off. Waste of a day otherwise....

Can't even recall the rearranged game. Tho no doubt i was there. Oh dear...:facepalm:

Yeah, because obviously when the game was called off, our first thoughts would have been 'I know, I'll go drinking miles away from home!'. I stayed in St George meself.

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Pretty sure the whole of BS3 was treacherous under foot.

I went out the front door and the rain had frozen on the pavement.

I wouldn't have made it to the bottom of the road on foot, let alone AG.

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Although I was almightilly disappointed the game was to be put back until the new year, the authorities' really had no choice an it came as no surprise when the news finally broke.

It was definately persponed due to supporter safety in getting people too, in and out of the ground.  It was lethal underfoot and a no-brainer.  The pitch was often covered in those days, I believe (?).  The pitch was NOT the issue.

There would have been falls, accidents and broken limbs all over the place!  

17 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Although I was almightilly disappointed the game was to be put back until the new year, the authorities' really had no choice an it came as no surprise when the news finally broke.

It was definately persponed due to supporter safety in getting people too, in and out of the ground.  It was lethal underfoot and a no-brainer.  The pitch was often covered in those days, I believe (?).  The pitch was NOT the issue.

There would have been falls, accidents and broken limbs all over the place!  

Dead right. Left my car for literally  15 minutes and a flash freeze meant by the time I got back I could barely stand up. Met a couple of mates and made it almost all the way there when we heard, took and age and several near falls just to make it back to the Port Wall Tavern for a lift, hazardous.  Had similar at Palace and Hull where parts of the ground were shut, ended up on the side at Palace and at Hull they shut a large side terrace.

3 hours ago, Rkid said:

As said earlier, the original game was called off fairly late for safety reasons. All walkways and steps were iced up but I think the pitch was playable. 

Remember that day well.  Was listening to Radio Bristol on the way over, they were repeating one of their sports awards shows for an hour.  Parked outside the first set of houses behind the East End car park, amazed at how quiet it was.  A lady came out of the house and asked if we were there for the football - I thought she was going to moan about us parking outside her house - she then told us that the game had been called off.  Why the hell Radio Bristol couldn't interrupt their repeat programme to announce this, I have no idea.  The pavements around the ground were like ice, so there was no question about postponing it.  Not sure that I can remember conditions changing as quickly as they did that day - there was no problem when we set off.

11 hours ago, Rkid said:

Your correct, and I actually know one of the men, it was 2 men with their wives, they were very nieve and didn't think they would have any problems because of them being with women! 

I still see him around sometimes and always remind him of it, he admits it was a stupid thing to do. Ask your mate if the bloke he knows had the surname 'Cross' .

35 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Remember that day well.  Was listening to Radio Bristol on the way over, they were repeating one of their sports awards shows for an hour.  Parked outside the first set of houses behind the East End car park, amazed at how quiet it was.  A lady came out of the house and asked if we were there for the football - I thought she was going to moan about us parking outside her house - she then told us that the game had been called off.  Why the hell Radio Bristol couldn't interrupt their repeat programme to announce this, I have no idea.  The pavements around the ground were like ice, so there was no question about postponing it.  Not sure that I can remember conditions changing as quickly as they did that day - there was no problem when we set off.

Because they're shit and have previous for being shit at important stuff like details. Example ;

Leicester away (Jackie cup game)we had a coach from Old Market that used to leave so we managed to get wherever for opening time. It was January so the weather was cold and we had an ear on the radio just in case . Twice they announced the game was off, jumped in a mates car and four of us were on our way to Spurs, think it was the nearest interesting game. Got to Melksham maybe , only to hear on a proper station that put game wasn't one of the ones called off. Quick phone call , mate turns around and we met the coach at the M5 services. 
The station is not fit for purpose, as entertainment it maybe ok but all the local media is pretty poor.

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Ahh, the happy landings, what a cracking pub that was, some real characters in there, one of the few pubs where KW lads and The "Hartcliffe Mafia" used to drink together, some good lads from Hengrove and Whitchurch as well and City through and through 

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Because they're shit and have previous for being shit at important stuff like details. Example ;

Leicester away (Jackie cup game)we had a coach from Old Market that used to leave so we managed to get wherever for opening time. It was January so the weather was cold and we had an ear on the radio just in case . Twice they announced the game was off, jumped in a mates car and four of us were on our way to Spurs, think it was the nearest interesting game. Got to Melksham maybe , only to hear on a proper station that put game wasn't one of the ones called off. Quick phone call , mate turns around and we met the coach at the M5 services. 
The station is not fit for purpose, as entertainment it maybe ok but all the local media is pretty poor.

Don`t get me started on their weekend travel reports. About the only thing you can be certain of is that if they report an incident it`s either been cleared hours ago or it`s on a completely different road to the one they`ve said it is. The number of times we`ve gone across country from Taunton because they`ve said there`s problems on the M5 only to find out from mates at the game that they sailed through.

Clueless idiots all of them

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Your correct, and I actually know one of the men, it was 2 men with their wives, they were very nieve and didn't think they would have any problems because of them being with women! 

I still see him around sometimes and always remind him of it, he admits it was a stupid thing to do. Ask your mate if the bloke he knows had the surname 'Cross' .

So it's true then, the GHS were in the Dolman - Gas Husbands Squad

Archived