IGNORED

U20 World Cup (Merged)

BobBobSuperBob

The more I see the youth teams play the more I'm impressed, specifically with the flexibility of the players. Throughout all the age groups the midfielders have been a lot more comfortable performing different roles in different formations, even if it's in the same match. I guess you could argue they're footballers, they should be this flexible and tactically astute but often players aren't. Maitland-Niles for example played the semi at central midfield and came on today as a left winger, looked more than capable in both.

Enjoyed the final and all the tournament, hope they can all push on!

Anyone know if we're trying to secure loans for any of these lads? Come on MA get some of them down to the West Country. Build 'em up with cider and cod lots and after a season at the Gate they'll return to their parent clubs as men and fire City to the Premier League in the process :fingerscrossed:

What a fabulous result - and perhaps more importantly, what a great experience for the team. That will stand them in good stead for the future.:clap::englandflag:

It strikes me how much a contrast there was between the U20s and the senior team this weekend: one played with passion, excitement and purpose; the other dared to do just enough against a feisty but ultimately uninspiring Scottish side. And almost gave it all away. Where are we going wrong?

Also good to see a major football match without those irritating video advertising boards. :disapointed2se: <Rant over>

They'll all be the right age to feature in the full England team in the 2022 World Cup.

Meanwhile that nr 7 for Venezuela. Early in the game he looked talented. However as the game wore on I noticed he would not pass to a team mate once he was in the penalty area. At one stage he even had a shot from near the corner flag rather than pass to someone near our goal. He also had a tendency to fall to the ground every time an opponent  got near him. Turns out he's on Watford's books.

Gareth Southgate has now pleaded with the players clubs to play them in their first teams so these youngsters gain experience and will then step up to the full England team. He added "There's no need to look elsewhere for players"

Archived