IGNORED

Millwall

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow, so people condemning Millwall for a minor pitch invasion may have to accept that we've been doing the same for years - eh @Wanderingred ?? 

Chester away, Coventry away, Swindon at home, Blades at home, Gas at home, Brentford away, Reading away, Aldershot away...etc...

But let's all criticise Millwall again...

Yawn.

Those pictures look ancient. It was a different time in the 1970s and 80s, City fans today would NOT invade the pitch at Wembley. End of. I'm not discussing it with you anymore so don't quote or tag me in any more posts please,

EFL Statement regarding Wembo pitch invasion...

The EFL have issued following statement regarding the pitch invasion at Wembley after the Sky Bet League One Play-Off Final.

The chorus of disapproval from the majority of Millwall fans forced to witness Saturday’s pitch invasion was a stark indication of the feeling inside Wembley Stadium at the end of the League One Play-Off Final but unfortunately it failed to prevent some unsavoury scenes. 

It is a criminal offence to enter the playing area and whilst some of those who made the decision to break the law did so to celebrate their team’s success back to the Championship, a mindless few opted to goad the Bradford City players. 

Their actions were completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated by the EFL.  The efforts of the Millwall manager and some of his players to remove the offenders from the pitch should be complemented as should Neil Harris’ appropriate and welcome apology on behalf of his Club. 

The EFL will be writing to Stuart McCall and his Bradford team to apologise for the situation they found themselves in. 

In addition, the EFL will be encouraging Wembley to work with both the Metropolitan Police and Millwall to identify those whose behaviour created the most concern on the day and to take the necessary and appropriate action. 

The EFL will also raise a number of concerns with Wembley as to how the fans were not only able to access the playing area but then able to get so close to the Bradford City team, who showed great restraint given an incredibly challenging and difficult situation. 

We cannot allow a set of circumstances to exist where the playing area becomes an appropriate place for fans to celebrate and Wembley, like stadiums across the Country, have to be prepared to deal with the type of events that emerged on Saturday efficiently and effectively so as to ensure there is no repeat. 

The efforts of one particular steward in keeping the Millwall fans away from the Bradford City team should be both recognised and applauded. 

The EFL has witnessed an increased number of pitch incursions this season and will look to work with its Clubs and supporter groups across the country to establish what practical measures can be put in place to reduce the number of instances in the future.

always enjoyed matches against millwall. My first was when we lost 4-1 with Teddy Sheringham scoring a hatrick - the atmosphere was something else that day, it felt like a real pall of evil was hanging over the gate that day, and afterwards it seemed like half of bristol was waiting in the park outside - definitely an eye-opening day as a teenager. I'm really happy to have seen the old den as well, a true football ground that even on a sweltering sunny day made the hair stand up on end. There's always a bit of needle to our matches it seems, and i think that's good to have especially at a time when football grounds and fans have been forcibly fed through the happy clapper sky sports grinder. 

I don't much care for Millwall but games vs them do have a certain edge as others have said. Usually a good atmosphere also!

Millwall fans- and this admittedly is a small and not terribly representative sample. Nonetheless I knew a few at uni- mixed bag. One of them absolutely great...one of them though, shall we say had an aggressive edge to him, liked his boxing and once when drunk and angry kicked a hole in a door I am sure. Something like that anyway. Another was a good lad and fairly liberal.

Mixed bag- even the Millwall fans who were students. :laugh: Worked with one too- dry wit, seemed okay- like I say a good range there!

On 5/22/2017 at 17:49, 42nite said:

I thought Wembley had some sort of special fencing around it which prevented pitch invasions?

If so.....what happened?

I remember reading that, also thought that this was combined with a dry moat to make the perimeter impenetrable?

Last game ever at The Den was rather eventful - lost count of the number of pitch invasions.  I think The New Den is almost sterile in comparison.  I think your lot are definitely on the list of teams which they look forward to visiting.

8 hours ago, In the Net said:

Last game ever at The Den was rather eventful - lost count of the number of pitch invasions.  

It's an aberrant name drop or claim to fame, even for a Rovers fan ;) 

Never before did I know that!

6 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Incidentally, is Dr Faustus still on the R*vers online radar or has he finally actually managed to lure himself off the Interweb and gone and done something useful and sensible with his capabilities? 

Grant, his name was.  Big, tall, bald fella apparently.  

He was always everyone's favourite/least disrespected gas head, was Dr F.   I don't know what he'd make of the 'banter' these days,  probably why he's gone! 

9 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I believe the last ever goal scorer at the Old Den was a certain Mike Davis of Winterbourne. As well as Rovers he also played for Yate and Bath City.

9 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It's definitely not a claim to fame - I'm sure that fans of other clubs could not name Millwall's opposition for that last game.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, MattWSM said:

I can remember walking out down the dolman steps by the open end and we were all shielding our heads as we were being pelted with coins. Think that was 91 92 ish.

Can anyone else remember that or is that too general?

lets be honest, artillery duel more like.

On 5/27/2017 at 18:39, MattWSM said:

I can remember walking out down the dolman steps by the open end and we were all shielding our heads as we were being pelted with coins. Think that was 91 92 ish.

Can anyone else remember that or is that too general?

april 91 - they won 4-1, sheringham hattrick. With both sides gunning for playoffs this was a real six-pointer and we came off worse. general carnage after. I've heard from some of our livelier lot that city came off second best before the match mind despite heavily outnumbering wall (think the incident in question was the orchard or something around that way) though i stand to be corrected if wrong! 

I was stood behind the goal that day and remember a brilliant albeit rather evil atmosphere! 

4 hours ago, poland_exile said:

april 91 - they won 4-1, sheringham hattrick. With both sides gunning for playoffs this was a real six-pointer and we came off worse. general carnage after. I've heard from some of our livelier lot that city came off second best before the match mind despite heavily outnumbering wall (think the incident in question was the orchard or something around that way) though i stand to be corrected if wrong! 

I was stood behind the goal that day and remember a brilliant albeit rather evil atmosphere! 

That is not right, the Sheringham, Cascarino game would have been about 1985.

7 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

it is right sheringham  and cascarino didn't play against us 85..........fash the bash and steve lovell were there frontmen

Are you sure? I remember Lovell scored loads of goals for them but I could have sworn they had Cascarino in 1985.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

That is not right, the Sheringham, Cascarino game would have been about 1985.

SGlos, am totally certain that the Sheringham game was 91, will geek out in a moment and try and find the evidence! (this was my first game as a young teenager that i saw mass violence so while my memory gets murky on some things, i'm going to stake everything I have on this!) 

9 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

SGlos, am totally certain that the Sheringham game was 91, will geek out in a moment and try and find the evidence! (this was my first game as a young teenager that i saw mass violence so while my memory gets murky on some things, i'm going to stake everything I have on this!) 

11 v 11 confirms a 1 - 4 scoreline in 1991.

5 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Didn't we sign Thompson the other goal scorer? All from cornrers weren't they?

Archived