IGNORED

Alloa v Brechin City

big ted

Whenever I see the name  Brechin City appear I always manage to misread it as Bristol City so I thought I'd give their game a go this afternoon. Possibly because I went in with low expectations and definitely because there was a shed load of goals but I quite enjoyed it.

A fair bit of skill on show and no Premier League histrionics it was a pretty good advert for lower league Scottish football. Oh and good scenery around the "stadium" too.

There was a Brechin fan who occasionally posted on this forum. He took a passing in interest in us as we are also a BCFC with red & white as colours.

Whilst looking at lower Scottish football; last season Edinburgh City won the play off system and gained entry to the Scottish League at the expense of East Stirlingshire. This season the winners of the Highland league played off against East Kilbride, the winners of the Lowland League. EK won and played off against Cowdenbeath, the bottom team in the Scottish League. Both games were drawn and today EK lost on pens, so Cowdenbeath stayed in the League. Beath's attendance varies between 250 and 510. They refer to themselves as "the Blue Brazil". Oddly enough, I've never heard Brazil refer to themselves as The Yellow Cowdenbeath.

I went past Alloa's ground a few years ago; it makes Twerton Park seem palatial and I thought "every few years they will be drawn home to Celtic or Rangers. How do they accommodate the away fans"?

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was in a 'Scottish Bar' many years ago in Spain in my 1990 City home shirt and a big Jock looked at ''BCFC' under the badge and said "Is that a Brechin shirt mate"?

I've always looked out for their results after that....

How can you support two Scottish teams you hypocrite.  I hope you sit on a 'thistle' :whistle:

3 hours ago, 22A said:

I went past Alloa's ground a few years ago; it makes Twerton Park seem palatial and I thought "every few years they will be drawn home to Celtic or Rangers. How do they accommodate the away fans"?

I went to Alloa v Rangers last season (Cheering on the home side obviously) It was all ticket and there were a handful of Rangers in the home end, but there are plenty of small grounds in Scotland and they always seem to cope when the bigger sides are in town.

3 hours ago, 22A said:

There was a Brechin fan who occasionally posted on this forum. He took a passing in interest in us as we are also a BCFC with red & white as colours.

Whilst looking at lower Scottish football; last season Edinburgh City won the play off system and gained entry to the Scottish League at the expense of East Stirlingshire. This season the winners of the Highland league played off against East Kilbride, the winners of the Lowland League. EK won and played off against Cowdenbeath, the bottom team in the Scottish League. Both games were drawn and today EK lost on pens, so Cowdenbeath stayed in the League. Beath's attendance varies between 250 and 510. They refer to themselves as "the Blue Brazil". Oddly enough, I've never heard Brazil refer to themselves as The Yellow Cowdenbeath.

I went to Cowdenbeath v Arbroath a couple of weeks ago. If you ever visit there you won't be slating the Mem any more :)

7 hours ago, 22A said:

There is a very good book about 'beaths history it is called "Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil". It's very funny, they are the definition of a basket case club. They share (d)? their stadium with the stock car track and the same guy owned both. The stock cars make more money and one season he was thought to deliberately sabotage their promotion push, by selling the star striker to a Highland league club. This was because of potential fixture clashes in the higher league. They seem to be just as in the dark as everyone else as to why they are called the blue brasil.

11 hours ago, big ted said:

Whenever I see the name  Brechin City appear I always manage to misread it as Bristol City so I thought I'd give their game a go this afternoon. Possibly because I went in with low expectations and definitely because there was a shed load of goals but I quite enjoyed it.

A fair bit of skill on show and no Premier League histrionics it was a pretty good advert for lower league Scottish football. Oh and good scenery around the "stadium" too.

Ha me to every time they flash up on soccer Saturday I look quick and think it's us.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't 'support' Brechin, just keep a casual look out for their results....how can you support two English clubs?! Liverpool and City?! Really?!

You can if they're in such different worlds that you're never going to have to pick between the two. City fans living in Weston, for example, can legitimately support Weston as well as City IMO.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There is a very good book about 'beaths history it is called "Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil". It's very funny, they are the definition of a basket case club. They share (d)? their stadium with the stock car track and the same guy owned both. The stock cars make more money and one season he was thought to deliberately sabotage their promotion push, by selling the star striker to a Highland league club. This was because of potential fixture clashes in the higher league. They seem to be just as in the dark as everyone else as to why they are called the blue brasil.

When I watched them a few weeks ago, I parked in the small car park outside the ground. What was bizarre was there was a stock car meeting just after and all the stock car fans start coming in and try to use the car park, thereby blocking the exit of the football fans. It took me 40 minutes to get out of a car park when there was a crowd of just 500!

15 hours ago, big ted said:

Whenever I see the name  Brechin City appear I always manage to misread it as Bristol City

Similarly a lot of "Posh" fans fear the worst when "Peterhead nil" is announced. In the coming season when we hear a report from "Forest", there will be extra attention paid in Nottingham and South Gloucs.

Archived