IGNORED

We have to finish in the top ten

reddogkev

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Sadly that is what I hoped for / expected this year. Never looking down and close enough at the business end to think if result went our way we could have made a push.  

I hoped for that as well and after a promising start was increasingly optimistic until  LJ came up against the vastly experienced Colin over in Cardiff.........:facepalm:

LJ was outsmarted by the king of whinge and that defeat was the start of the wheels coming off big time and gradually my and others hopes slipped away.

At least results eventually picked up thankfully.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

We ain't going anywhere under the current set up...

We'll be playing in Europe with four years, didn't you know?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Every new season and every game within it is utterly unscripted. No-one can predict how the season will pan out for any club. That's why the bookies make so such out of us mugs who bet on the games.

All fans have hopes for their club and for me I hope for a season where City are in the mix all season, win more an they lose and be there or there abouts with 10 games to go with the possibility of reaching the Promised Land.

To me that would be a decent season.

Looking a this league next season there's probably 20 teams who think they have a realistic shot at top 6. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I hoped for that as well and after a promising start was increasingly optimistic until  LJ came up against the vastly experienced Colin over in Cardiff.........:facepalm:

LJ was outsmarted by the king of whinge and that defeat was the start of the wheels coming off big time and gradually my and others hopes slipped away.

At least results eventually picked up thankfully.

I really don't think we were good to start with, got the rub of the green and almost by force of will won points. The International break somehow did for that, and as you say Colin is experienced and clever and Lee may have overthought things. 
I still think that SL's statement that LJ would be here whatever refocused minds. Support was great and players knew they would be working with the same manager whatever, all that was left was to play.
New season , they know where they stand. As I say , if we can now bring in quality , we already have a base of a good young squad we can maybe push on a little . 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Looking a this league next season there's probably 20 teams who think they have a realistic shot at top 6. 

And you could probably argue a good case for most of them.  It's what makes this league so competitive, and compelling.  Then you've got all the rich deluded fools from around the world buying clubs left, right and centre, and hoping to get their greedy hands on the money generated by the top tier. City have to find the way to push above these teams. 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Well, last year we finished 18th with 52 points, and this year we finished 17th with 54 points.

I'm going to guess we'll finish 16th with 56 points; progress!

Yes theres a definite pattern there. 

So in the 2031-32 season we'll be promoted in 2nd place with 84 points! Perfect :D

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

We ain't going anywhere under the current set up...

He's wary because a strong,proven man won't put up with the tinkering...

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

So in the 2031-32 season we'll be promoted in 2nd place with 84 points! Perfect :D

To be fair, our goal difference went from -17 to -6 from last season to this, so at least we've one hell of a positive swing on that by 2032!

10 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

I agree. If we get a decent manager we might achieve it....

We actually do have s decent manager, I am at the moment happen to be in the 'in' camp, the run in proved that he is very much an improving coach, and is capable of taking the club forward.That awful run was I hope a lesson, if we can avoid such a run again then we will finish top ten at least, 

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

Current circumstances a top 10 finish is highly unrealistic.

Why do you think that? We had two distinct spells of top six form this season which proves the manager and players have the ability to perform well enough to achieve that. 

The question is whether that consistency can be found and this time around not interrupted by the worst run in footballing history!

People make it sound like we spent all season being whipping boys which is far from the truth. 

22 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

He's wary because a strong,proven man won't put up with the tinkering...

I guess you're referring to SL?

Most managers would be delighted to work for SL. Not only does he have wealth he's loyal as well

If you listened to his interviews he said that he'd been caught out my managers who say one thing but then don't actually do what they'd said they would. 

Those managers were sacked and the hassle and disruption that any sacking causes was not something SL was willing to do again. It means the new man wants his own team which leads to even more disruption within the squad.

LJ has been appointed because SL trusts that LJ will do what he's says he will. LJ has created his own backroom staff to support him, staff that LJ trusts.

See?  It's all about trust......

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why do you think that? We had two distinct spells of top six form this season which proves the manager and players have the ability to perform well enough to achieve that. 

The question is whether that consistency can be found and this time around not interrupted by the worst run in footballing history!

People make it sound like we spent all season being whipping boys which is far from the truth. 

Every team at some point goes through good form. Apart from Rotherham! League table doesn't lie and we have had two seasons finishing low. 

The current squad isn't good enough for a top ten finish, and I have no trust in the Head Coach. Without Tammy we would of gone down without a whimper.

Hence why I say under current circumstances, we won't get a top 10 finish. More likely be relegated under LJ and this current squad.

We need major change to finish in the top half.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Most managers would be delighted to work for SL. Not only does he have wealth he's loyal as well

If you listened to his interviews he said that he'd been caught out my managers who say one thing but then don't actually do what they'd said they would. 

Those managers were sacked and the hassle and disruption that any sacking causes was not something SL was willing to do again. It means the new man wants his own team which leads to even more disruption within the squad.

LJ has been appointed because SL trusts that LJ will do what he's says he will. LJ has created his own backroom staff to support him, staff that LJ trusts.

Your last paragraph I would disagree. More a case of working with the current structure. And agreeing with 90% of what SL says. A simple yes man.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Trust is a two-way street.

You won't get anywhere if your staff are required above all to be yes men.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The bottom line for me this season was that we had to stay up at all costs and I, like may others, felt LJ had to go last season because I did not believe he could keep us up and improve our form. I was wrong on both counts. It might be that 2 or even 3 years of struggling to stay up under LJ, whilst painful at the times, are what will give LJ the skills and experience to kick on and succeed as a manager. It would be frustrating - and frankly the typical thing Bristol City would do - if by that point we'd sack him and his eventual success was elsewhere.

To me that approach just sounds like the addicted gambler who's lost a ton of money on a fruit machine. If I keep piling it in I'm bound to win in the end. Trouble is you could just end up losing a whole lot more. My feeling is LJ is the kind that just doesn't pay out. Better to cut your losses and move on.

57 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

will the one's for the future be ready by then?

6 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Trust is a two-way street.

You won't get anywhere if your staff are required above all to be yes men.

With SL being such a successful business man I'm sure he'll have met loads of "yes men" all trying to engraciate themselves. 

I don't think LJ falls into that category. Why would he?  :dunno:

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I really don't think we were good to start with, got the rub of the green and almost by force of will won points. The International break somehow did for that, and as you say Colin is experienced and clever and Lee may have overthought things. 

I still think that SL's statement that LJ would be here whatever refocused minds. Support was great and players knew they would be working with the same manager whatever, all that was left was to play.
New season , they know where they stand. As I say , if we can now bring in quality , we already have a base of a good young squad we can maybe push on a little . 

Agree with para 1.

As for para 2 - might be one of the most perceptive things I've read on OTIB for a while.  I've stated before that footballers are immature, selfish etc, but they crave stability, assurity especially in terms of getting selected.  Thinking that your manager is on his way doesn't help.  Don't get me wrong I wanted him replaced. But I wonder whether the players suddenly realised they might be the ones on their way not Lee.  That might've focussed some of their minds one way or the other.  Some responded positively and were rewarded.  Others might've thought the summer can't come quick enough.  One thing though with LJ being backed the players will know the manager won't be made the scapegoat like Rainieri was.  Maybe it might be the key.

"One's for the future" - is a phrase that needs to be forgotten really.

It's more players to develop or add value to.

So the question isn't, when will the players for the future be ready. You can't put a number on that. The question is can we get enough of our developing players to take off, at the same time, same season and in the same team.

If we have one or two 'gems' every three years, we end up selling them. Which isn't the end of the world, but not ideal.

What is ideal is three or four young gems taking off in the same season, around a solid developed squad then we have a chance of pushing on and having a proper shot at the promotion. 

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Good point, but my reason is LJ - I don't believe he is ready to manage a promotion drive this time round, but just like a player, he will develop again, or ultimately be replaced.

fair enough, I'm just getting a bit impatient, it always seems to be next season this or we mustn't make the same mistakes again etc, heard it all to many times before. I'm guessing I'm a bit older than you and have just been through more disappointment's and promises than you have. 

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

To me that approach just sounds like the addicted gambler who's lost a ton of money on a fruit machine. If I keep piling it in I'm bound to win in the end. Trouble is you could just end up losing a whole lot more. My feeling is LJ is the kind that just doesn't pay out. Better to cut your losses and move on.

Until SL stops putting money in the "fruit machine" that is LJ we are stuck here, LJ will take a lot more yet with little to no payout for this club. Agree its better to try a proven one.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

fair enough, I'm just getting a bit impatient, it always seems to be next season this or we mustn't make the same mistakes again etc, heard it all to many times before. I'm guessing I'm a bit older than you and have just been through more disappointment's and promises than you have. 

It does go on, as soon as we do find any player that's any good he is gone...this has gone on for ever and brings no confidence that we can ever get enough decent players here long enough to move us forward.

Even if we had signed Tammy he would be gone very soon now as we always cash in on our best asset.

SL spent many, many millions on this ground with the belief that yes it will bring in more money, why then is this not the case with players spend top dollar on players BUT then keep them to move us forward and bring much more in the future.

It seems now its buy young and fairly in exp, in this league, and hope they come good ...and if they do, we will sell them anyway. Just cant understand it, he could buy certainly some top champ players and bring in a top manager but seems to prefer to gently pour his money away instead of going for it, ah well his money his plan. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with para 1.

As for para 2 - might be one of the most perceptive things I've read on OTIB for a while.  I've stated before that footballers are immature, selfish etc, but they crave stability, assurity especially in terms of getting selected.  Thinking that your manager is on his way doesn't help.  Don't get me wrong I wanted him replaced. But I wonder whether the players suddenly realised they might be the ones on their way not Lee.  That might've focussed some of their minds one way or the other.  Some responded positively and were rewarded.  Others might've thought the summer can't come quick enough.  One thing though with LJ being backed the players will know the manager won't be made the scapegoat like Rainieri was.  Maybe it might be the key.

I really think it nipped any protests in the bud too, many would have thought whats the point. From a few boos and potential for unrest it went completely the other way, I thought the support at times was brilliant. 
I wanted him out but it made me change attitude a little. No point in shouting Johnson out if you know he's in the job for the foreseeable. 
The one certain for the coming season is LJ is here until Christmas at least. Hopefully we carry on our decent form and with a few quality additions push on.

7 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

It does go on, as soon as we do find any player that's any good he is gone...this has gone on for ever and brings no confidence that we can ever get enough decent players here long enough to move us forward.

Even if we had signed Tammy he would be gone very soon now as we always cash in on our best asset.

SL spent many, many millions on this ground with the belief that yes it will bring in more money, why then is this not the case with players spend top dollar on players BUT then keep them to move us forward and bring much more in the future.

It seems now its buy young and fairly in exp, in this league, and hope they come good ...and if they do, we will sell them anyway. Just cant understand it, he could buy certainly some top champ players and bring in a top manager but seems to prefer to gently pour his money away instead of going for it, ah well his money his plan. 

I know It's the old catch 22, cant get in the premiership cant attract players, so it goes on year on year, unless we somehow fluke it one year. I think if we actually got there we could become a reasonable prem side maybe not top four but certainly upper mid table 

There will probably be 15 teams with a bigger wage budget than us - if we finish higher than that then I my will have been a good season.

all I want is progress, people underestimate how tough a league this is, it's basically a prem 2 with all the prem money in it now

Archived