IGNORED

We have to finish in the top ten

reddogkev

1 minute ago, pillred said:

I know It's the old catch 22, cant get in the premiership cant attract players, so it goes on year on year, unless we somehow fluke it one year. I think if we actually got there we could become a reasonable prem side maybe not top four but certainly upper mid table 

Can I have a toke on that, must be pretty good stuff.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

We ain't going anywhere under the current set up...

Whilst I also want a proven Championship manager I'm starting to think it's not a case of SL being scared after that incident but more realistic. I would dare to say when Steve Coppell was appointed we making that big push and upon leaving he was quoted as saying "I believe that it is in the best interests of both the club and me personally that we go our separate ways" which to me can be translated as "I don't agree with the way the club is being run". He also said "Bristol City is an excellent club, with brilliant support and a chairman with great ambition for the club's future" and the only way I can read that is "I like the club, I like the fans, the chairman isn't realistic" and I think that is only confirmed when he said "But it has become clear over recent weeks that I found I could not, for whatever reason, become passionate about the role and give the commitment the position demands". I honestly think he was sold the position in a false manner by SL. One thing that was also reported was that Coppell didn't want David James and was one of the main catalysts in him walking out. If that's the case then why did we sign James? Lansdown was the man behind him signing and it was meant as a statement of intent.

I think that whole Coppell situation was down to Lansdown wanting a good manager and talking Coppell into taking a role his heart wasn't in and then trying to find a way to keep him interested only for it to blow up in his face. I don't think he's afraid to hire a proven manager, I just think he can't find one willing to do the job the way he wants it done. As annoying for SL as it may be he needs a proven Championship manager who can tell SL what he needs but I think SL doesn't want someone telling him what should be happening, I think he wants a coach, not a manager, a coach, so SL can stay involved in who we recruit and the coach will then go out and put together the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle he's gone out and bought. I also believe that's why we keep going around in circles, I think SL has too much involvement in the recruitment of players and that's not how you go about creating a good squad that works as a team out on the pitch. You look at any successful club and it's almost always down to the manager setting out his tactics and philosophy and then going out and bringing in the players who suit it, I personally have seen us hire manager/coach after manager/coach and the only ones who have done a great job and been successful are the ones who seem like they'd stand up to SL and tell him how they want to do things, Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

Spike - I agree basically with what you are saying. SL isn't against an experienced, successful manager in principle. However he wants one who will implement HIS policy of buying young, promising players who we can sell on at a profit to fund the wages.

Most top, experienced managers know that is a risky policy that could leave a blot on their CV if it doesn't work out. They want a policy that gives them a guarantee that they can compete. Which means a decent smattering of players in their prime who have proved they can do it at this level or above.

Hence we have to go for managers who will go along with SL's policy instead. It's his money so he calls the shots but I wish he would be more open with the fans about his approach.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

We ain't going anywhere under the current set up...

Sighhhhhhhhhhh! 

I prefer to just stick with reality and hope for a top 6 place, but just be happy if we avoid relegation. At this level we are still a relatively small club, the chairman has made it clear that the days of spending silly money are over, quality players will be looking to move on to 'bigger' clubs (Just as we will try and entice quality players from smaller clubs), we currently have two strikers who have each scored 1 goal in their City careers, plus a 38 year old, we are competing against quite a few clubs still receiving parachute cash etc. etc. Sadly no magic formula for Clubs like ours, and each year, it will get more difficult. I demand nothing, just hope it's enjoyable, and keep under the radar so that dates & kick off times don't continually get mucked around.

***sarcasm alert

Christ, Hang on I'll just call SL and tell him this massive revelation!! Try to finish as high as possible in the league and take it seriously. I'd never have thought of that. Those 23 other teams in the league won't know what's hit them as they are just messing about having a kick around on a Saturday.

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Spike - I agree basically with what you are saying. SL isn't against an experienced, successful manager in principle. However he wants one who will implement HIS policy of buying young, promising players who we can sell on at a profit to fund the wages.

Most top, experienced managers know that is a risky policy that could leave a blot on their CV if it doesn't work out. They want a policy that gives them a guarantee that they can compete. Which means a decent smattering of players in their prime who have proved they can do it at this level or above.

Hence we have to go for managers who will go along with SL's policy instead. It's his money so he calls the shots but I wish he would be more open with the fans about his approach.

And there is our problem, SL's policy is a business one, not a footballing one. He's an amazing businessman, no doubt about that but when it comes to football he needs to allow a manager to come in and set up what they know. To me SL's views just don't match up with successful managers and that's more than likely why even with all the stadium development, youth academy improvements and so on we're still not viewed a great club to manage.

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

This should be our number 1 objective this time - no messing about near the bottom, but making serious progress and placing our marker for the play-offs.

It's high time for City to kick on in this league and start building for promotion, in the style of Brighton.  We have to be serious about forming a competitive, hungry squad, equipped to do some serious damage, and instil the winning mentality again. 

Time we start to appreciate that City should be a big club in the Championship, and have to abandon any lesser notions - even the common quip of looking for consolidation.  Consolidation is on par to a lack of ambition.

I challenge the club to take this league by the scruff of the neck.  As it stands, I can't quite afford a season ticket this forthcoming season, but I want to be put into a position where I will absolutely have to get my hands on one for a possible promotion campaign the one after.

Based on last season and Tammy going I think you might be in a big disappointment.

5 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

***sarcasm alert

Christ, Hang on I'll just call SL and tell him this massive revelation!! Try to finish as high as possible in the league and take it seriously. I'd never have thought of that. Those 23 other teams in the league won't know what's hit them as they are just messing about having a kick around on a Saturday.

Thanks for the ***sarcasm alert - it calms my level of sanity

#I am not alone

According to the OP, what we need to do is "stop messing about at the bottom" and "take the league by the scruff of the neck". 

Well **** me sideways!  Get this guy on board right now!  What is SL playing at?  

If only Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn had heeded such advice and stopped messing about at the bottom, they've only got themselves to blame for relegation, really.

Here's my master plan, it's really worthy of a letter to LJ and SL:

What we should do is win a lot more games and lose a lot less.  If we did that earlier we'd be a lot better of and may've reached the top ten already.  I mean "D'uhh".

Welcome to otib though,  guys and if you implement my inspired plan I may bother to buy a season ticket.

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

Can I have a toke on that, must be pretty good stuff.

so you don't think we have the potential to at least emulate the likes of Bournemouth Southampton, you must be a bit of a pessimist, there is a lot of potential for us, we for some reason never seem to fulfill it, don't ask me why, makes me wonder why you bother watching and supporting the team with a negative attitude like yours. 

I agree we have the potential to be like the clubs that you've stated, I have just seen absolutely no evidence of it being likely to occur.  

I want to believe it but can but you show me anything since 76 to suggest it will?

If we do fluke going up history suggests we will **** it up.

I would put our chances of being a solid mid table prem team way below the chance of us ending up back in Div 4 in the next ten years.

I'm allowed to support my club without coming out with statements that would make the blue few blush,  more than happy to be proved wrong though. 

I do like your ambition though, I have the same, I just don't think it's going to happen.

7 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Thanks for the ***sarcasm alert - it calms my level of sanity

#I am not alone

According to the OP, what we need to do is "stop messing about at the bottom" and "take the league by the scruff of the neck". 

Well **** me sideways!  Get this guy on board right now!  What is SL playing at?  

If only Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn had heeded such advice and stopped messing about at the bottom, they've only got themselves to blame for relegation, really.

Here's my master plan, it's really worthy of a letter to LJ and SL:

What we should do is win a lot more games and lose a lot less.  If we did that earlier we'd be a lot better of and may've reached the top ten already.  I mean "D'uhh".

Welcome to otib though,  guys and if you implement my inspired plan I may bother to buy a season ticket.

I think you and me need to have a duel to the death at noon today, pick the time and place, I'll bring the revolvers!

16 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Over the week end I listened to an item on radio 5 live . They were talking to the head of the League Managers Association, who said that 40 odd managers lost their jobs this last season and the average time in the job was ludicrously short.

In views of this, you can easily see how a manager's outlook will differ from his owners i.e. the manager wants to bring in proven players to get results on the pitch immediately so as to secure his job for him. While many owners will want immediate success, thereby causing managers to lose their jobs when they don't achieve that success, they will also want their club to have long term stability on the pitch.

Perhaps managers like Cotterill, being more "old school", just aren't attuned to the idea of building for the long term and would not buy into SL's longer term plan. A younger coach like LJ is almost certainly more open minded in his ideas and it might not be so much that he is "SL's mate", as many fans suggest as a term of ridicule, but more that his ideas can work to achieve the sort of long term goals that SL has for the club.

I suspect that back in the 80s Sl and Peter Hargreaves didn't plan to continue running their financial services business from their bedrooms for th next 30 years, so SL has proven to be someone able to put together a long term strategic plan and see it though, so why should he not also be able to do the same for BCFC?

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I suspect that back in the 80s Sl and Peter Hargreaves didn't plan to continue running their financial services business from their bedrooms for th next 30 years, so SL has proven to be someone able to put together a long term strategic plan and see it though, so why should he not also be able to do the same for BCFC?

In theory he could / can

However maybe the real answer is that one is Financial Services and one is football

Football is a unique business and I've lost count the number of owners . Chairman , Chief Execs who have stated Football is a unique business that is difficult to compare to 'normal' businesses

SL has already been proved to date , that the two don't simply correlate

SL could see a strategic plan through successfully if he appoints the best people in the key posts 

Whether MA / LJ are those key appointments , or whether their successors will be , well only time will tell

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In theory he could / can

However maybe the real answer is that one is Financial Services and one is football

Football is a unique business and I've lost count the number of owners . Chairman , Chief Execs who have stated Football is a unique business that is difficult to compare to 'normal' businesses

SL has already been proved to date , that the two don't simply correlate

SL could see a strategic plan through successfully if he appoints the best people in the key posts 

Whether MA / LJ are those key appointments , or whether their successors will be , well only time will tell

Sometimes it isn't having the best people but the right people. Quite often people fit better at one company than they do at the other, so why would it be any different at football clubs - how many managers have been successful at one club but are unable to replicate that success when they move to another club?

I'm not saying that LJ is the best or right man for the job, but that SL judges ( at the moment) that he is. If that is one part of SL's jigsaw for his long term plan for the club, then that has to be his decision, and ultimately it will sink or swim by what happens on the pitch. Whether by luck or judgement his backing of LJ paid off last season, but I don't think SL will accept a similar hiccup again.

11 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

What we should do is win a lot more games and lose a lot less.  If we did that earlier we'd be a lot better of and may've reached the top ten already.

Don't tell the rest on here but I'm ITK on this one. 
This was actually LJ's PlanB. Obviously he stuck with plan A until it clearly wasn't working, and then stuck with it some more , and some more.
but then, after sticking with it some more he implemented PlanB . The rest as they say is history.
Just remember ,
keep it between you and me as they might try it earlier next year and we don't want to alert the other teams to our secret plan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Archived