IGNORED

We have to finish in the top ten

reddogkev

This should be our number 1 objective this time - no messing about near the bottom, but making serious progress and placing our marker for the play-offs.

It's high time for City to kick on in this league and start building for promotion, in the style of Brighton.  We have to be serious about forming a competitive, hungry squad, equipped to do some serious damage, and instil the winning mentality again. 

Time we start to appreciate that City should be a big club in the Championship, and have to abandon any lesser notions - even the common quip of looking for consolidation.  Consolidation is on par to a lack of ambition.

I challenge the club to take this league by the scruff of the neck.  As it stands, I can't quite afford a season ticket this forthcoming season, but I want to be put into a position where I will absolutely have to get my hands on one for a possible promotion campaign the one after.

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

This should be our number 1 objective this time - no messing about near the bottom, but making serious progress and placing our marker for the play-offs.

It's high time for City to kick on in this league and start building for promotion, in the style of Brighton.  We have to be serious about forming a competitive, hungry squad, equipped to do some serious damage, and instil the winning mentality again. 

Time we start to appreciate that City should be a big club in the Championship, and have to abandon any lesser notions - even the common quip of looking for consolidation.  Consolidation is on par to a lack of ambition.

I challenge the club to take this league by the scruff of the neck.  As it stands, I can't quite afford a season ticket this forthcoming season, but I want to be put into a position where I will absolutely have to get my hands on one for a possible promotion campaign the one after.

I don't think anyone's ever thought of doing that before....  

36 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

not to be too critical, but you are a bit lacking in ambition saying we should be challenging the season after next, what's wrong with next season?

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Zzz

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

We ain't going anywhere under the current set up...

I want us to finish first next season. I don't have a plan or any understanding of what it takes but I defiantly want this, I'm not going to chip in at this stage towards that goal.

Come on everybody let's win the league.

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I want us to finish first next season. I don't have a plan or any understanding of what it takes but I defiantly want this, I'm not going to chip in at this stage towards that goal.

Come on everybody let's win the league.

It reminds me of a Harry Enfield clip where a manager is prepping his substitute before taking to the pitch: "Now, I'm putting you on for so and so and what I want you to do is, wait for it, be better than him.  You've got it? Be better than him".  

........Cheers!

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Mid table and I'll be happy. Finishing near the playoffs and I'll be delighted. I think we're about 5 players short from being a top 10 side. 

That's right ,he's only signed 19players so far what's another 5

33 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

When does the future arrive? I mean surely if they are good enough they are old enough? 

Yes but if they are not yet good enough it doesn't mean they don't have the potential to be. If someone is signed for the future you won't generally expect that future to arrive the same season. 

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think it's boring to want a proven, successful manager at this level....the only time we actually appointed one he buggered off after two games....

That seems to have scared Mr Lansdown and he hasn't appointed a proven championship manager since....

I would like to think that by the end of the season we will have a proven championship manager, either by employing one or by utilising the preferred method of LJ turning out to be as good as we all hope he can be.

7 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I would like to think that by the end of the season we will have a proven championship manager, either by employing one or by utilising the preferred method of LJ turning out to be as good as we all hope he can be.

Indeed.

The flipside with LJ is that he is 35 years old and has 3 years of management under his belt. That's a hell of a lot of experience for someone of his age. He kept us up last season and, whilst we should have done better this season given what we spent and how we started and - Birmingham aside- finished it, he did ultimately arrest our downturn of form and do what was needed to survive. We all want to be higher in the table but we have a manager who is young and still learning as well as players who are young and still learning. In both cases, we risk having players and a manager for the period where they are making mistakes and then discarding them before the period where they have learned from those mistakes and can succeed elsewhere.

The bottom line for me this season was that we had to stay up at all costs and I, like may others, felt LJ had to go last season because I did not believe he could keep us up and improve our form. I was wrong on both counts. It might be that 2 or even 3 years of struggling to stay up under LJ, whilst painful at the times, are what will give LJ the skills and experience to kick on and succeed as a manager. It would be frustrating - and frankly the typical thing Bristol City would do - if by that point we'd sack him and his eventual success was elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Our best season for years and closest we've got to the prem  was achieved under a conference manager with no experience of the  championship. 

I saw enough last season to get a season ticket for the coming campaign for the first time in 40 years. Little things started to fall into place and I could see the potential of a decent team. I just have a gut feeling we will make a mark on the league and learn lessons from the last 2 seasons. 

I'd be happy with the kind of season Brentford have just had. Good football, great at home, and not a million miles from a play off push. At no stage did they even look like going down. If we could manage all of those things next year I'd be more than satisfied. 

8 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

I agree. If we get a decent manager we might achieve it....

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

30 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

My personal opinion is that with LJ in charge, next season will be just another depressing struggle against relegation. I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong though!!

These are reality, those who think not should remember how close we came to relegation with the best goalscorer outside the prem.

I have no hopes at all for next season, except for a repeat of this season and 3 worse teams..... if we a very lucky

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Majority of those were for the future.

you mean cheap and not very good at the moment.........with a hope that they may or may not improve

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it's boring to see the same one line comment from the same handful of posters on every thread. 

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

Out of interest Rich, If we do finish top ten next year with LJ in charge, would that make him a decent manager? 

I think it would demonstrate he has learnt from his many many failings this season for sure. Hopefully we do, would certainly shut a few people like myself up.

Will it happen? I highly doubt it.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

not to be too critical, but you are a bit lacking in ambition saying we should be challenging the season after next, what's wrong with next season?

Good point, but my reason is LJ - I don't believe he is ready to manage a promotion drive this time round, but just like a player, he will develop again, or ultimately be replaced.

Every new season and every game within it is utterly unscripted. No-one can predict how the season will pan out for any club. That's why the bookies make so such out of us mugs who bet on the games.

All fans have hopes for their club and for me I hope for a season where City are in the mix all season, win more an they lose and be there or there abouts with 10 games to go with the possibility of reaching the Promised Land.

To me that would be a decent season.

40 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.

The flipside with LJ is that he is 35 years old and has 3 years of management under his belt. That's a hell of a lot of experience for someone of his age. He kept us up last season and, whilst we should have done better this season given what we spent and how we started and - Birmingham aside- finished it, he did ultimately arrest our downturn of form and do what was needed to survive. We all want to be higher in the table but we have a manager who is young and still learning as well as players who are young and still learning. In both cases, we risk having players and a manager for the period where they are making mistakes and then discarding them before the period where they have learned from those mistakes and can succeed elsewhere.

The bottom line for me this season was that we had to stay up at all costs and I, like may others, felt LJ had to go last season because I did not believe he could keep us up and improve our form. I was wrong on both counts. It might be that 2 or even 3 years of struggling to stay up under LJ, whilst painful at the times, are what will give LJ the skills and experience to kick on and succeed as a manager. It would be frustrating - and frankly the typical thing Bristol City would do - if by that point we'd sack him and his eventual success was elsewhere.

The problem with this is if you spend 3 years struggling everyone will start to believe your never going to do any better; the fans get demoralised and players start to leave and become harder to attract.

No one wants to play for a club that isn't winning regularly.

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Every new season and every game within it is utterly unscripted. No-one can predict how the season will pan out for any club. That's why the bookies make so such out of us mugs who bet on the games.

All fans have hopes for their club and for me I hope for a season where City are in the mix all season, win more an they lose and be there or there abouts with 10 games to go with the possibility of reaching the Promised Land.

To me that would be a decent season.

Sadly that is what I hoped for / expected this year. Never looking down and close enough at the business end to think if result went our way we could have made a push.  With 3/4 quality signings I will be thinking the same this coming season.
Then again. In '79 after a 13th place finish in the top division and 40 points, I really thought we could push for Europe . Goes to show what I know, we got relegated.

Archived