IGNORED

We are the best club for a foreign owner takeover

Major Isewater

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Going by his recent interview I can see SL inviting some outside investment , not necessarily foreign , in the not too distant - tho I'd assume he will ensure he remains the major shareholder 

Will be the worst investment 'advice' he's ever given :fear:

14 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Nepotism? Obviously! He'd hardly be on the board for his financial input, or his management experience

The input from JL or any board member is zero. SL's remark that LJ would be manager " as long as I want him to be" ........no trace of any board discussion there......same when Wilson went, SL sacked him during a phone call without any consulting with others. So it's hard to see what the. Board do other than rubber stamping

My understatement seems to have passed you by CR! 

SL does whatever he thinks is right for our club. He employs MA as the go to day to day man and LJ to oversee the entire purpose of the club - the football.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

No. Never. (To a rich owner buying us)

id rather we never make the premier league in my lifetime than be some foreign owners play thing.

the premier league really isn't the be all and end all of football.

A wise man once said that the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination and that`s how I feel about the premier league if I`m honest.

26 minutes ago, Malago said:

We've all fallen into the Sky marketing bollocks that football record before 1992 don't matter, which in this instance is particularly injurious to PNE who have done a league and cup double,

Suffuce to say the only club in the championship next season who haven't played in the top flight is Burton.

Well said sir :clap:

45 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A wise man once said that the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination and that`s how I feel about the premier league if I`m honest.

If we went up I would think we'd perform a bit like Hull.

You need a lot of dosh and a lot of luck to survive .

If we could follow the example of Burnley I would be more than happy.

Could SL provide the necessary to get there and succeed ? 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

ise man once said that the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination and that`s how I feel about the premier league if I`m honest.

you have my 100% support  !   am knocking on a bit myself and my dream is to see us  one day  as an established in the big league

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My understatement seems to have passed you by CR! 

SL does whatever he thinks is right for our club. He employs MA as the go to day to day man and LJ to oversee the entire purpose of the club - the football.

Do you honestly think there's a single person on here who doesn't know what MA and LJ's role are. What's your point?

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I've always thought Plymouth are ripe for a takeover, potentially huge club given their catchment area...

They were a few years back by James Brent, a local millionaire with lots of West Country business interests (he`s funding the Oldway Mansion development in Torbay). At times he doesn`t seem too enthusiastic but I think that`s just his way in interviews although he doesn`t strike me as a dyed in the wool football fan at all TBH.

He`s stuck with them through all their recent failed promotion attempts so now they`re up it could go one of two ways; he`ll either keep it on and try to push forward again or see them as a better proposition to sell. I really don`t know what he`ll do, he`s very difficult to read. He does go to the games though, home and away.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They were a few years back by James Brent, a local millionaire with lots of West Country business interests (he`s funding the Oldway Mansion development in Torbay). At times he doesn`t seem too enthusiastic but I think that`s just his way in interviews although he doesn`t strike me as a dyed in the wool football fan at all TBH.

He`s stuck with them through all their recent failed promotion attempts so now they`re up it could go one of two ways; he`ll either keep it on and try to push forward again or see them as a better proposition to sell. I really don`t know what he`ll do, he`s very difficult to read. He does go to the games though, home and away.

Cheers for that info, didn't know that. Perhaps they need a billionaire instead of a mere millionaire! He sounds like a decent owner though...

48 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Do you honestly think there's a single person on here who doesn't know what MA and LJ's role are. What's your point?

Most of us know where MA in particular fits into SLs long term plan but there are a few who, judging by some of their posts know only two things about the club. 1) who the owner is 2) who the manager is.

Make that three - Tammy was on loan from Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

Don't want one, don't want my club to be promoted to the premier league ether. I'm happy with what we've got 

Being promoted to the PL is to me one scary ride that I personally can do without. It seems that everyone wants to get there including unsurprisingly SL but me .... I dread the idea of struggling and being like Hull, Middlesbrough etc , sod the parachute payments. Having said that I don't want to struggle in the Championship but think it's our level. Give me a good mid table finish next season and a good cup run and I'll be very happy.

55 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Being promoted to the PL is to me one scary ride that I personally can do without. It seems that everyone wants to get there including unsurprisingly SL but me .... I dread the idea of struggling and being like Hull, Middlesbrough etc , sod the parachute payments. Having said that I don't want to struggle in the Championship but think it's our level. Give me a good mid table finish next season and a good cup run and I'll be very happy.

With .complete and total respect I don't understand that view. Ultimately this is 'professional ' sport and surely the point of that is to get to the highest level you can.

The clubs you mention have struggled this season, as many have in seasons past but they now have the opportunity to build and go again - although ,in Hull's case I doubt the owners want that, witness Blackpool if you want an example of my thoughts there.

For us, as I have said before, the 'parachute ' money plus the money in the season we would be there would offer the opportunity to really build the club and ,over a few seasons, give us the chance to become an established EPL team.

Being in a league, at any level, is a competition and you have to look,hope and try to win it.

14 hours ago, Malago said:

We've all fallen into the Sky marketing bollocks that football record before 1992 don't matter, which in this instance is particularly injurious to PNE who have done a league and cup double,

Suffuce to say the only club in the championship next season who haven't played in the top flight is Burton.

If bristol rovers had come up then, that would of been 2 then...

13 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

With .complete and total respect I don't understand that view. Ultimately this is 'professional ' sport and surely the point of that is to get to the highest level you can.

The clubs you mention have struggled this season, as many have in seasons past but they now have the opportunity to build and go again - although ,in Hull's case I doubt the owners want that, witness Blackpool if you want an example of my thoughts there.

For us, as I have said before, the 'parachute ' money plus the money in the season we would be there would offer the opportunity to really build the club and ,over a few seasons, give us the chance to become an established EPL team.

Being in a league, at any level, is a competition and you have to look,hope and try to win it.

Is that you Steve. I do respect your view though. I'm just saying what my view is like it or not. The OP is on about foreign ownership. As for parachute payments try explaining that to a Blackburn fan.

A guy I used to hang out with at uni was for Guernsey, and because they're technically not part of the EU or the UK he had to pay foreign tuition fees (at the time, around £10k). Luckily for him his family is minted. He took two years of Law, a year of Computer Science, a year of something else, and now I think he lives in Monaco. Alright for some I suppose. Either way, I guess that would qualify Lansdown as "foreign" for some?

Before the stadium revamp, I would've said that Bristol City weren't big enough for serious foreign investment. Even now, I think it'd be a stretch. We've got a decent capacity, but we're hardly pushing near the top of fan attendances in the league, and we've been out of the top division for so long that a lot of football fans barely know that there is a team in Bristol. Those that do know just call us "Bristol". Hell, I've met football fans that live/work in Bristol that couldn't tell you what league Bristol City are in.

The Ashton Vale saga completely killed any chance of Bristol City gaining foreign investment. Despite owning the land AND having already heavily invested in Bristol through Hargreaves Lansdown, Lansdown couldn't build a new stadium, so what could anyone else do if they were to pump megabucks into the club?

So, between the club in its current standing, and the city we're located in, I think it's a huge stretch to consider us ready for foreign investment.

Reading that and I applaud you as I agree completely it was a terrible shame that Ashton Vale was rejected by the powers that be. The Gate is at this moment very limited for many reasons i.e. capacity (can't get much above 29 - 30,000. Location, parking, future expansion. If and it's a big if we could rebuild the Atyeo stand then maybe Ashton Gate could be a very intimidating arena. As it is it's spoiling the new development and needs to be addressed, (and I know it can't happen with those houses behind it.)

Venkys. Kroenke at Arsenal. The horror show at Villa. Charlton.  Need I go on?  I'm happy with SL, and the abuse levelled at a man who has put his own money in - not his company's, his own - is disgusting.  I remember 1982 and what followed.

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Venkys. Kroenke at Arsenal. The horror show at Villa. Charlton.  Need I go on?  I'm happy with SL, and the abuse levelled at a man who has put his own money in - not his company's, his own - is disgusting.  I remember 1982 and what followed.

What 1983 ? 

On 21/05/2017 at 17:55, BobBobSuperBob said:

Going by his recent interview I can see SL inviting some outside investment , not necessarily foreign , in the not too distant - tho I'd assume he will ensure he remains the major shareholder 

Correct - the only interesting bit of that "non" interview by Radio Bristol was the snippet where SL said (in reply to a jokey question about JL taking over one day) he wouldn't rule out additional outside investment in the future. He's never said that before.

On 21/05/2017 at 18:58, Major Isewater said:

If we went up I would think we'd perform a bit like Hull.

You need a lot of dosh and a lot of luck to survive .

If we could follow the example of Burnley I would be more than happy.

Could SL provide the necessary to get there and succeed ? 

Agreed Major - would love our team to emulate what Burnley have achieved on the pitch.

Of course they've done this by getting lots of things right off the pitch, starting with a democratically run club where Board members are not only accountable but take on active roles in running the club, and a manager who squeezes every last drop out of the resources available to him, helped in no small measure by his excellent man-management and consistent, straight forward tactical approach.

So the chances of us becoming another Burnley would appear remote!

Archived