IGNORED

Bobby Gould one hour interview Radio Bristol Tuesday

Should be interesting as I always liked him and often see him around Portishead. A real old fashioned professional.

Remember the day City signed him and often wondered why he wanted to sign for us as he was still a first division star, though I suppose he knew Alan Dicks and John Sillet quite well.

I dont really remember his Coventry days, but do remember him being damned good with Arsenal, Wolves and us.

He has also been a decent manager with Wales and the Sags and a few others as well as being a bit of a pundit.

Look forward to hearing what he has to say.

55 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Dont remember gerry gow threatening that.  When was that and what was it about?

Gow landed a right cross on him during a game. Gow didn't do threats.

Anyway is Gould still puting his hat in the ring for the Manager job? There was a time when it was obligatory for the press to link him with us.

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Anyway is Gould still puting his hat in the ring for the Manager job? There was a time when it was obligatory for the press to link him with us.

Generally very true except it reminds me of Neil Redfearns story (In Rotherham paper when Sir Gerry passed away) which is worth a repeat

Redfearn making his debut for Rotherham against City as a raw 18 yr old

Within minutes Gerry sidles up,to him and said

'I'm gonna break your f******** legs'

Redfearn , flustered turns to experienced teammate (Can't remember who atm) and says

'He's just threatened to break my legs'

Experienced teammate says

'Don't worry , he doesn't mean it'

Slightly relieved Redfearn says he jogged away where he was joined by Gerry who growled

' I F****** mean it' !!!!

:clap:

RIP Sir Gerry

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

iirc it was just before Half Time... and Bob Gould didn't appear for the second half

14 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Over rated footballer, crap manager, gob-sh1te pundit and an over inflated ego

Apart from that he's OK. :)

21 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Can't stick the bloke. Over rated footballer, crap manager, gob-sh1te pundit and an over inflated ego

Thank God for that, was going to feel bad if I was the only one slagging him off

Complete and utter gobshite. Always sounded pissed when I heard him on talksport. Never forgive him for putting Super Bob up for sale on the tv one night, within days the man was gone

remember this clown on his first appearance at home  went on a wide run when he had the ball  and was alone when  then  he got near to goal passed to an opened space  then stood and gestered that no one was with  him a total big headed plonker and seems to still be the same. cant stand him  

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Generally very true except it reminds me of Neil Redfearns story (In Rotherham paper when Sir Gerry passed away) which is worth a repeat

Redfearn making his debut for Rotherham against City as a raw 18 yr old

Within minutes Gerry sidles up,to him and said

'I'm gonna break your f******** legs'

Redfearn , flustered turns to experienced teammate (Can't remember who atm) and says

'He's just threatened to break my legs'

Experienced teammate says

'Don't worry , he doesn't mean it'

Slightly relieved Redfearn says he jogged away where he was joined by Gerry who growled

' I F****** mean it' !!!!

:clap:

RIP Sir Gerry

The newspaper article 

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-rip-gerry-gow-the-millers-hardman-who-could-really-play-1-8172906

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

A friend of mine who lives in Portland where Gerry did in his latter years got to know him and asked him about that incident. Apparently Gould accused him of being lazy! I'm afraid I can remember Gould being the lazy one, not bothering to run back and regularly getting caught offside. A few days after that incident he was put on the transfer list, I reckon AD knew he couldn't keep both players and didn't want to lose Gerry.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

A friend of mine who lives in Portland where Gerry did in his latter years got to know him and asked him about that incident. Apparently Gould accused him of being lazy! I'm afraid I can remember Gould being the lazy one, not bothering to run back and regularly getting caught offside. A few days after that incident he was put on the transfer list, I reckon AD knew he couldn't keep both players and didn't want to lose Gerry.

3 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It's news to me he even played for us.  I always regarded him as a gas head.

The things you learn .......

He wasn't here long. He came in as a bit of a star, having regularly scored goals for a variety of 1st division teams. He actually scored 15 goals in 35 games which sounds good, but he was a lazy mouthy bar steward. 

I first became suspicious of him when we played Coventry (his first team) in the league cup. The performance he put in that night was top class and I thought he had finally arrived. But in the next he was back to his average self.

I think the Gow incident came about because he thought he was going to be the leader of the team, he totally misread the situation and was never accepted by the fans or the team.

Dicks said he sold him at a profit so happy days. :)

Whatever anyone thinks about Bobby Gould, football was never dull when he was playing. Gary Sprake famously punched him to the ground (not the first time did that as Chris Garland can testify) while he was playing for Arsenal; and my lasting memory of him in a City shirt was that when the first cross came over he'd have the opposing keeper in the net. 

43 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Whatever anyone thinks about Bobby Gould, football was never dull when he was playing. Gary Sprake famously punched him to the ground (not the first time did that as Chris Garland can testify) while he was playing for Arsenal; and my lasting memory of him in a City shirt was that when the first cross came over he'd have the opposing keeper in the net. 

Here is the clip - how football has changed only a yellow card for a haymaker.

Archived