IGNORED

Taylor

bpexile

He's a different player than I expected. From Gas mates, who thought he was was best thing since sliced bread until he joined us, I thought he was quite a lazy player who just hung around for tap ins and won penalties every match. Indeed a lot of his goals were pens I think.

I have found him to be much more hard working than that, certainly prepared to do his share and so much more a team player than I was led to believe. He isn't perfect, will probably fluff more than he scores but he at least is in the right place quite often, or draws opposition players away. 

Personally I'm not yet convinced by Duric, we could have 2 strikers who need a quality striker to play along side. That player isn't at the club yet.

I think he'll certainly be a good squad player next year. More of the same as others have said - fantastic work rate, good team player, but poor finishing. I think that's a fair assessment from what we have seen.

I do wonder though, if we had signed this guy from another League 1 club (for the sake of argument, Bradford) would we have lesser expectations of him? He obviously stands out because of how the transfer came about, which for me personally, puts more pressure on him, when it really shouldn't.  I think people have higher expectations because he came from Rovers.

But to answer the OP, I think that he will/should be a solid rotation option for us. I'm fairly sure we will sign a clear first choice striker to replace Abraham, and will see Taylor/Djuric taking turns partnering him throughout the season. This, of course, is assuming we play 2 up front.

46 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

He is a 15-20 goals a season striker, keen nippy and the right attitude.

Don't know what the Hell is wrong with Bob though.:ermm: 

Nippy?

Compared to who? Steve Torpey?

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Matt Taylor, wasn't he?

He was certainly worth it, and no way they'd let him go for a penny less. Certainly not to the better looking, far more successful lot across the river

£300k was the now infamous release clause in his contract

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Pardon me but where does this trolling bollocks come from ?

Is that a medical condition and is there an ointment that will cure it?

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Taylor will be a regular starter I reckon. He ended last season as that. 

I'd prefer him to be a regular finisher.

Boom, boom!

:)

Still say Matty will be fine.  Quite a lot of pressure on him this season; crossing from the dark side, entering a struggling team, expectations and perhaps too keen to score, not enough time to form a strike partnership.  Despite this he put in some real shifts whenever he was asked, intelligent runs etc

Full summer off, pre-season as a red, forming a strike partnership with whoever, looking for good things from him.

Ok, Taylor was valued at £10m by thd Sags (of course!).

We got hm for £300k.   :thumbsup:

But what are peoples realistic valuations of him?  If he came to us from another 3rd division club, what do you think we would have paid?

It would have been a gamble, but I think he's shown the right attitude (which counts for a lot), and with a good pre season should proveto be a valuable squad member in most Championship teams.

I would think his value could have risen from what we might have been willing to pay for him, as to what we would sell him for if the right offer came in?

I do think £300k was a steal ;)

Maybe we would have paid £500k

And would be tempted to sell for £750k now?

3 hours ago, 42nite said:

But what are peoples realistic valuations of him?  If he came to us from another 3rd division club, what do you think we would have paid?

It would have been a gamble, but I think he's shown the right attitude (which counts for a lot), and with a good pre season should proveto be a valuable squad member in most Championship teams.I would think his value could have risen from what we might have been willing to pay for him, as to what we would sell him for if the right offer came in?

I do think £300k was a steal 

Not a chance he'd go for peanuts again.

He's worth a couple of mill at least but if/when he starts banging in the goals in the SBC his stock will rise tremendously.

Very useful investment is Tayor and even if he's flops next season £300k in chicken feed in today's market.

On 24/05/2017 at 09:40, BobBobSuperBob said:

Do you ?

'

'Given enough supply he's capable of 20+ next season.'

Not normally a betting man but Money where your mouth is -

How much you want to have a wager with me ?

In fairness, given enough supply I could get 20+ next season.

You'd just need an awful lot of supply!

On 23/05/2017 at 23:02, bpexile said:

Just wondering what peoples expectations are of Matty Taylor next season. If the way he has previously adapted to stepping up divisions is any measure then I'm quietly excited to see his progress. To come to AG, with us in our dire position when he did would have been a tough ask, so I'm thinking/hopeing we'll see a much improved player. 

Your honest thoughts please.

Sell him to Blackburn or Wigan for a million.

I think we can all agree that we were stronger, more resilient and picked up considerably when he was in the team, his assists alone helped us stave off relegation.

Now if he can start to regularly add goals to his all around game then we will have a very fine player- who at £300k will be a very shrewd signing.

A full pre season with a tight knit group of lads will no doubt see him improve in front of goal- lets at least give the full chance he deserves.

11 hours ago, 42nite said:

Ok, Taylor was valued at £10m by thd Sags (of course!).

We got hm for £300k.   :thumbsup:

It would have been a gamble, but I think he's shown the right attitude (which counts for a lot), and with a good pre season should proveto be a valuable squad member in most Championship teams.

I would think his value could have risen from what we might have been willing to pay for him, as to what we would sell him for if the right offer came in?

I do think £300k was a steal ;)

Maybe we would have paid £500k

Posh would have got 1.5 - 2 for him easy as winking.

On 2017-5-24 at 14:08, BRISTOL86 said:

I really like Taylor to be fair. Just on current showing for everything but his goal scoring. Same goes for Djuric but like I said it'll be interesting to see what changes in Taylor if we set up with him to be the poacher rather than the grafter. 

I genuinely completely forgot about Engvall. 

I think Gus may be hoping we do!!

On 23 May 2017 at 23:24, brady bunch said:

Would love to know the stats for our points with and without him in the team, sure someone can work it out. 

Big move and very nervy time for him and city and no surprise that he snatched and missed a few, going to put a tenner on him getting 20 plus for us next season, but even if he does not, we are stronger with him in the side.

my memory of him is running his heart out for us, when others stood off. 

Don't know the stats, but agree that it was a very nervy time for him. It was a step up and he had to contend with certain city fans willing him to do badly, sitting on the bench, and stopping the Gas from getting promotion . 

Well hopefully his performances will have silenced some of the doubters and that next next season will be a big one for both him and us.

Archived