IGNORED

Bristol Sport reps at Parson Street rail station?

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Asking passengers views about the station.

Was this today?

Seems an odd time to ask about it - they should be there when rugby / football fans are using it

Otherwise no relevance to them

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was this today?

Seems an odd time to ask about it - they should be there when rugby / football fans are using it

Otherwise no relevance to them

Perhaps it's to see how popular it would be to use throughout the normal week? You would presume that supporters would use it on normal matchdays.

Perhaps BS are getting ready to throw a bit of  money in to make it a regular stop.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Taz said:

Perhaps it's to see how popular it would be to use throughout the normal week? You would presume that supporters would use it on normal matchdays.

Perhaps BS are getting ready to throw a bit of  money in to make it a regular stop.

Sorry to keep quoting it @Taz but I can't see it being any use on a matchday http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-wasps-rfc-9920187

Just now, cynic said:

It works fine for Brighton.

Just a bit of thought required on how many carriages and how to handle crowds - and Brighton get a lot more attending than Coventry.

Brighton is a perfect set-up. Plenty of space to hold people both at Falmer and Brighton main station whilst trains go through.

It's making sure enough trains are going through the station to cope with demand which helps for clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Charlton etc who have stations very close to the ground.

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Other than intransigence, I really can't see why a station can't be successful.

Shouldn't that be intrainsigence?

1 hour ago, bcfcshorey said:

Brighton is a perfect set-up. Plenty of space to hold people both at Falmer and Brighton main station whilst trains go through.

It's making sure enough trains are going through the station to cope with demand which helps for clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Charlton etc who have stations very close to the ground.

Perfect set-up? - maybe you should ask the Aston Villa fans who were waiting at Falmer (Amex) station until gone midnight last season and couldn't catch connections to Birmingham until the next morning.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry to keep quoting it @Taz but I can't see it being any use on a matchday http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-wasps-rfc-9920187

That's the first time I've seen that actually, what a joke!! What's the bleedin point of it!!

Ok let's try this then, if BS are thinking of doing something in conjunction with the station, let's hope they don't use the Coventry model :facepalm:

3 hours ago, class_not_gas said:

My view is open a station at Ashton gate . That way for me the car stays at home 

A station at Ashton Gate is only a small part of the travel solution. A major factor will be the frequency of the train service and the capacity of the trains. Assuming the Portishead line eventually opens, the most we're likely to get is a 30 minute schedule, with probably a two / three coach train. This might be ok before the match as people arrive over a long period of time, but poor after the match when everyone leaves at the same time. 

35 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Perfect set-up? - maybe you should ask the Aston Villa fans who were waiting at Falmer (Amex) station until gone midnight last season and couldn't catch connections to Birmingham until the next morning.

Were they just delayed by sheer volume? When I was there recently we waited until long after the match had finished, but so did the majority of Brighton fans as they had their pitch celebration thing. We were heading back to London to get our coach home and had to go from Falmer to Brighton train station, then Brighton to London. In other words you had to go back south before you could go north as such. Gettin on the train at Falmer just took you to Brighton, so did the Viila fans then not have a Brighton to Brum connection, was that the problem?

As I said we waited around but it wa still busy but very well marshalled and calm, no pushing etc. Naturally if people have paid a £4 levy on their ticket price ( no choice but to pay) people are going to use public transport/park and ride. And use it they did. I'd love to have a similar system here having seen that on probably their busiest match. Not sure how well it would work with fans who didn't get on though, Palace I think they don't like. Would get messy I think.

• Admin
4 hours ago, cynic said:

It works fine for Brighton.

Just a bit of thought required on how many carriages and how to handle crowds - and Brighton get a lot more attending than Coventry.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

That's the first time I've seen that actually, what a joke!! What's the bleedin point of it!!

Ok let's try this then, if BS are thinking of doing something in conjunction with the station, let's hope they don't use the Coventry model :facepalm:

The big difference is that Falmer is on a main line between Brighton and Ashford so services are frequent on those lines

Not a chance of anything like that on a branch line to Portishead

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I read the report from CH2M on the viability of Ashton Gate station.  I would be amazed if that ever comes off, as 1) they're only predicting a couple of hundred per day and 2) are anticipating the station not being open on match days as it would not cope with demand.

So , if I have this right.....

First reason not to open the station is lack of foot traffic. Second reason is , they couldn't cope with the amount of foot traffic .
:huh:

On 2017-5-24 at 10:40, phantom said:

Until Hull City moved to the KC Stadium, they played at Boothferry Park which had a station at one end of the ground. The only way off the station was through the turnstiles into the ground. But of course when that was used, we didn't have the current H&S philosophy.

For those who have used the trains to and from the Derby area,Rams line halt looks a very sad place.

Having said that,

with the move to pride park,why not a new station near the main railway line  approx one mile walk away  

As regards to Hull City the two seperate main lines

one going North and one going South

go right by the stadium.

On 24/05/2017 at 13:39, RedM said:

Were they just delayed by sheer volume? When I was there recently we waited until long after the match had finished, but so did the majority of Brighton fans as they had their pitch celebration thing. We were heading back to London to get our coach home and had to go from Falmer to Brighton train station, then Brighton to London. In other words you had to go back south before you could go north as such. Gettin on the train at Falmer just took you to Brighton, so did the Viila fans then not have a Brighton to Brum connection, was that the problem?

As I said we waited around but it wa still busy but very well marshalled and calm, no pushing etc. Naturally if people have paid a £4 levy on their ticket price ( no choice but to pay) people are going to use public transport/park and ride. And use it they did. I'd love to have a similar system here having seen that on probably their busiest match. Not sure how well it would work with fans who didn't get on though, Palace I think they don't like. Would get messy I think.

No, the trains were cancelled by southern Rail! Brighton's Chairman wasn't happy!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/fan-sleeps-amex-stadium-amid-12205617

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38038260

Archived