IGNORED

Man united

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Agreed. Man Utd had one decent passing attack in the second half which ended when Pogba (I think) let an Ajax player catch him in the box in a very half hearted attempt to win a pen. Also I remember Rashford managed to put a Joe Bryan like cross into the crowd.

Apart from the the only thing of note was that most of the Ajax players would walk into our U23 squad.

Considering what happened in Manchester only a few days ago are you seriously surprised at the flat performance? I have no connection to Manchester but even I have struggled to be focused at work these past few days.

If we won the Europa League and Champions League qualification would City fans worry about how we played?

If LJ were our coach I'm sure some fans would still complain that we would have performed better with an experienced manager! :)

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well they won so they deserve credit there.

But my god how tedious. How very tedious- I saw from 37 mins in and long balls, blanket defence, some impressive counter attacks but my god all that money and how shit to watch. Ajax in their way were little better to watch- I like possession football in general but they were so so slow in possession. Little movement either- now they are young and will grow, first time at this level for any of them. United though with money and experience- you would expect somewhat more. 

They knew what they were getting when they brought him in, he has always played in the same way. When he joined it was said he will win some trophies, fall out with players and never give youth a chance then leave. Just needs him to leave now.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

If we won the Europa League and Champions League qualification would City fans worry about how we played?

If LJ were our coach I'm sure some fans would still complain that we would have performed better with an experienced manager! :)

I wasn't really that bothered when we beat Rotherham!

49 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He can't win, can he?  When he doesn't celebrate goals people knock him, when he celebrates a win he's called a cock.  I like to see managers celebrate.

And Tbf no one criticised Conte running and jumping around like he's taken a kilo of cocaine (Loved his joy / enthusiasm)

Much rather see a happy Jose than the downbeat moaner he had become at times

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Obviously struck a nerve !

A Man U follower I assume

Nice finish on the debate. Off-topic there. 

United fan or not would you rather finish fourth or win the Europa League and still qualify for European competition? Trophies are remembered, final league positioning doesn't unless you finish first. Of course the higher you finish the better it looks but at a point Mourinho re-evaluated his priorities and got it right ultimately. 

2 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Nice finish on the debate. Off-topic there. 

United fan or not would you rather finish fourth or win the Europa League and still qualify for European competition? Trophies are remembered, final league positioning doesn't unless you finish first. Of course the higher you finish the better it looks but at a point Mourinho re-evaluated his priorities and got it right ultimately. 

Still not a success, United's aim at the start of the season was to win the league. They were miles off doing that.

A tougher question may be

In terms of an experience and memories

Would you rather have been a supporter last season of

A). Man U with two trophies , Champs League Qualification but generally dour and turgid football 

or

B) Spurs , no trophies , Champions League Qualification and a season of scintillating football and numerous memorable performances rounded off by scoring 13 goals !!!!!!!! in their last two away games 

Actually a difficult choice IMHO

8 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Mourinho has won more trophies in his first season at United than Tottenham and Liverpool have won combined in the last 10 years..

A fair point

Albeit in terms if the 'Big' Clubs two secondary trophies, but still true

But having spent ? £300m plus ? in last two years Mind !!!!

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A tougher question may be

In terms of an experience and memories

Would you rather have been a supporter last season of

A). Man U with two trophies , Champs League Qualification but generally dour and turgid football 

or

B) Spurs , no trophies , Champions League Qualification and a season of scintillating football and numerous memorable performances rounded off by scoring 13 goals !!!!!!!! in their last two away games 

Actually a difficult choice IMHO

Not really as a Tottenham supporting friend of mine said last night... 

Fair play you'll remember this season in 10 years more than I will.

Football is about winning trophies. Simple as that really. 

5 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Not really as a Tottenham supporting friend of mine said last night... 

Fair play you'll remember this season in 10 years more than I will.

Football is about winning trophies. Simple as that really. 

Not sure it is that clear cut. United have won a cup for the second rate teams in Europe and a cup that not many take seriously (not even us) Like I said the aim for United is to win the Premier league and the CL every season.

59 minutes ago, Super said:

Still not a success, United's aim at the start of the season was to win the league. They were miles off doing that.

See below for my reply to your post.

And the same can be said for the other 5 or 6 who might have won the league but never did this season

PS:- Manu actually 'WON' a trophy to qualify, not merely came 4th because Arsenal were useless and Manu gave up.

44 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Mourinho has won more trophies in his first season at United than Tottenham and Liverpool have won combined in the last 10 years..

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

See below for my reply to your post.

And the same can be said for the other 5 or 6 who might have won the league but never did this season

PS:- Manu actually 'WON' a trophy to qualify, not merely came 4th because Arsenal were useless and Manu gave up.

When they realised they weren't catching the teams in the top 4.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure it is that clear cut. United have won a cup for the second rate teams in Europe and a cup that not many take seriously (not even us) Like I said the aim for United is to win the Premier league and the CL every season.

We're not in it..!?!? Or am I missing something...?

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A fair point

Albeit in terms if the 'Big' Clubs two secondary trophies, but still true

But having spent ? £300m plus ? in last two years Mind !!!!

Hang on 'Big' clubs? really?, big clubs who have won a league cup in each in the past 10 years, against a team that has won 5 premiership titles, 1 FA cup + 3 league cups, 6 charity shields and of course not forgetting the little matter of a champions league trophy and a Europa cup + 1 FIFA club world cup.

Ask the fans of Spurs and Liverpool and Arsenal about winning 'secondary' trophies.

24 minutes ago, Super said:

Are you saying that his not the aim of Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs?.

Also let's not forget Real Madrid have just won their first domestic league title for 5 years, if it was that easy perhaps Liverpool might win one after how many years now?.

2 hours ago, Super said:

They knew what they were getting when they brought him in, he has always played in the same way. When he joined it was said he will win some trophies, fall out with players and never give youth a chance then leave. Just needs him to leave now.

Well the players he was linked with in the summer means he might be more expressive and expansive. I don't care too much, not my team but to spend so much and produce such crap play...well. Though trophies are the aim I guess.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Are you saying that his not the aim of Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs?.

Also let's not forget Real Madrid have just won their first domestic league title for 5 years, if it was that easy perhaps Liverpool might win one after how many years now?.

It is when Liverpool are in it!

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Liverpool are in the premier league last time I looked, 27 years is it now, aww bless.

Yep they certainly need to mount a challenge next season.

Just now, Super said:

Yep they certainly need to mount a challenge next season.

And so say the managers of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Manu and a little team not mentioned so far in this thread called Man City and their wonderful manager who managed to win sweet FA this season as well.

The trouble is only one can win the premiership, so the majority will have to contest for the '2nd best silverware' and some in that list + Liverpool have not even managed that very well.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And so say the managers of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Manu and a little team not mentioned so far in this thread called Man City and their wonderful manager who managed to win sweet FA this season as well.

The trouble is only one can win the premiership, so the majority will have to contest for the '2nd best silverware' and some in that list + Liverpool have not even managed that very well.

Certainly not easy with the spending power of Chelsea United and City these days, also getting the top players to come to Liverpool is not as easy as it used to be.

This season, albeit a poor one performance wise, laid the foundations for success over the next few years. Mourinho needs to make it his own team and when out the dead wood whilst getting them playing attractive football and winning things. Despite it being poor, they did add a couple of quality players, did win three trophies and did qualify for the champions league. I have no doubt they will challenge for the premier league next season and out of all top 6 teams, I would rather see them successful. Yes they have spent big money, but it's teams like Chelsea and Man City who created that problem. In amongst all of that, they continue to play and develop very good youngsters which gets my respect.

i hope they bring more world class player to the prem and do well next season

Archived