IGNORED

McInnes to Sunderland?

Jacki

I just can see that happening.

I do think that it is likely they will go for an ex-player who is first team coach / assistant somewhere else.

Its a big risk for someone of that ilk as the club is apparently heavily in debt and the current owner wants out, all of which suggests there won't be much money spent this summer.

It does look like - with a few notable exceptions - they have a squad that does need a massive clear out.

I wouldn't take too much notice of his time with us. Crazy days with slashing of players budgets, "Big Time Charlies" all over the place. He never had a chance. He may have failed anyway but he was at City when he wasn't given the tools for the job - IMO.

14 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I just can see that happening.

I do think that it is likely they will go for an ex-player who is first team coach / assistant somewhere else.

Its a big risk for someone of that ilk as the club is apparently heavily in debt and the current owner wants out, all of which suggests there won't be much money spent this summer.

It does look like - with a few notable exceptions - they have a squad that does need a massive clear out.

Their ex player Stefan Schwarz has publicly said he'd like the job I think? He's only been an assistant thus far, at Helsingborg and for the Swedish U21 side...

35 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I wouldn't take too much notice of his time with us. Crazy days with slashing of players budgets, "Big Time Charlies" all over the place. He never had a chance. He may have failed anyway but he was at City when he wasn't given the tools for the job - IMO.

To be fair the guy would have done better than LJ with resources 

Just now, tinman85 said:

To be fair the guy would have done better than LJ with resources 

Doubt it - he'd have probably played Tammy left wing like he did with Chris Wood

46 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Couldn't disagree more. Not sure where people get the idea that he was given no money and he was hard done by in anyway.

He spent £3m on Baldock on Davies when everyone could see we were screaming out for new CBs. Different formation every game. Different defensive line up every game. Persisted on Liam Fontaine even though he needed to be taken out of the firing line.

Signed Jody Morris. Signed Richard Foster. Signed Stephen McManus twice on loan and made him captain. Sold Brett Pitman for £100k.

Nice guy but he made his bed here with constant baffling decisions. The sack was 100% warranted. Scottish Prem is his level.

I thought he was a bit unlucky with us, maybe didn't get the back up in terms of player recruitment that he needed.  Clearly a reasonably decent coach, he's done well with Aberdeen.  But I wouldn't go near the Mackems, not the state they're in.

5 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

So many similarities between us then and Sunderland now.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Couldn't disagree more. Not sure where people get the idea that he was given no money and he was hard done by in anyway.

He spent £3m on Baldock on Davies when everyone could see we were screaming out for new CBs. Different formation every game. Different defensive line up every game. Persisted on Liam Fontaine even though he needed to be taken out of the firing line.

Signed Jody Morris. Signed Richard Foster. Signed Stephen McManus twice on loan and made him captain. Sold Brett Pitman for £100k.

Nice guy but he made his bed here with constant baffling decisions. The sack was 100% warranted. Scottish Prem is his level.

I'm with you fella; these signings alone show that he was completely out of his depth bringing in players from the Scottish pub league. Morris was terrible but McManus, he signed him TWICE ffs!

Add into that Matthew Bates, a one club man blighted by injury and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't think he handled or could handle the Bolasie situation well either. He should've played more games and in my view should've been ahead of Adomah in the pecking order at the start of that ill-fated season. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

So many similarities between us then and Sunderland now.

Was just going to post the same thing. Sunderland are in a terrible state. They have a bloated squad full of over-paid players who don't want to be there and are in stacks of debt. I actually think they're in more of a mess than Villa were when they came down.

Any manager going there will be on a hiding to nothing, but I think someone like McInnes with the history of well documented problems he had here would struggle more than most. 

36 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Apparently Sunderland have made a formal approach to Aberdeen. Certainly have the budget there for success 

Really? I would be surprised if they spend very much at all, they certainly didn't while they were in The Premier League & that's why they ended up struggling year after year, they signed too many players who were past their best in the hope of experience getting them out of trouble but the truth was those older players just weren't good enough (apart from Defoe), they will have a hell of a rebuilding job to do, in my opinion.

Just now, Tipps69 said:

Really? I would be surprised if they spend very much at all, they certainly didn't while they were in The Premier League & that's why they ended up struggling year after year, they signed too many players who were past their best in the hope of experience getting them out of trouble but the truth was those older players just weren't good enough (apart from Defoe), they will have a hell of a rebuilding job to do, in my opinion.

Signed too many average players on very big wages. If they can shift them (it's quite a big if), they'll have a lot to play with, especially at this level.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

Signed too many average players on very big wages. If they can shift them (it's quite a big if), they'll have a lot to play with, especially at this level.

But a lot of those players (O'Shea, Lescott, Jones, Larsson, Cattermole, Rodwell & Gibson just to name a few) will have very little sell-on value, if they have any takers at all.

What very little quality they do have there probably won't stay & that will mean a huge rebuilding job on a smaller budget than they had in the Premier League, no easy task.

Just now, Tipps69 said:

But a lot of those players (O'Shea, Lescott, Jones, Larsson, Cattermole, Rodwell & Gibson just to name a few) will have very little sell-on value, if they have any takers at all.

What very little quality they do have there probably won't stay & that will mean a huge rebuilding job on a smaller budget than they had in the Premier League, no easy task.

Not easy at all but players like Borini and Kone have potential and could go for half-decent fees. It's a job that you can get right with the right attitude I suppose.

Have a Makem in work, he recons they are £150 Million in debt and have a wage bill of £50 Million a season. He does not see them spending any significant money in the transfer window at all, they really need to off load a few players.

Also as has been said the Chairman is desperately trying to sell the club.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

Not easy at all but players like Borini and Kone have potential and could go for half-decent fees. It's a job that you can get right with the right attitude I suppose.

£5m for Borini, £30m for Pickford (dependant on add-ons), £10m for Kone. I can see Mannone, Ndong, Djilobodji & Khazri also leaving, that means losing possibly 14 players or being left with some very old, poor players.

Ellis Short seems like he may want to cut his losses on the evidence of how much financial support he gave Moyes & Alardyce anyway.

On 5/25/2017 at 08:02, Ashtonwurzel said:

On yer bike, he continued to stick with Ricky Foster game in game out terrible, terrible player.

On 25 May 2017 at 08:54, petehinton said:

Spot on.

You also forgot his useless mate Mark Wilson, he was complete and utter dogshit (a full back who couldn't run!) and even made Richard Foster look good. When SOD tried to immediately release him he found McInnes had given him a contract entitling him to another season if he played 10 games...

Of course he will accept this offer, he said recently that his weekly wage bill at Aberdeen was £42k, so most of his first team will be on League One wages in the annual "who can finish second to Celtic" league...

Sunderland may have parachute payments but are a complete mess, he will need to build a completely new side up there.

I've never walked out of so many games before the end, sometimes 10 minutes into the second half as I did when McInnes was manager. He was ******* clueless. Yet I, like many others wanted him appointed when he was suggested as a possible City boss because he had over-achieved at St. Johnstone!!  Sunderland will be looking at the job he's done at Aberdeen with rose tinted glasses, but all he's done is finish runner up in a one horse race. Scottish domestic football is abysmal. Look at Motherwell, a well established SPFL side shopping at 4th Division Coventry FFS!!  As for that Leigh Griffiths, he was bombed out by Wolves because he simply wasn't good enough. Big Fish in a puddle. If Sunderland genuinely want to appoint him, good luck to both parties, but I'd question their ambition!!

Archived