IGNORED

McInnes to Sunderland?

Jacki

I always think he could have been the right manager but here at the wrong time. Had he had the club off the field in a better state like it is now, a squad that didn't need drastic wage bill reductions and the backing that LJ has had who knows how well he might have done.

Plus he will have learnt a hell of a lot I would imagine from his time here

7 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I always think he could have been the right manager but here at the wrong time. Had he had the club off the field in a better state like it is now, a squad that didn't need drastic wage bill reductions and the backing that LJ has had who knows how well he might have done.

I think the passage of time has softened your memory - the constant formation changes, let alone the recruitment, meant he was never cut out for the Championship. 

If you look at the old hands at the championship - Warnock (dare I say it for example) - they always build from a strong defence, yet under Del we were actually leaking goals or always looking like leaking them.

Perhaps he has learned, although his record against Celtic is bog average. There is no evidence he could adapt to playing in the the Championship from my memory.

13 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

We'll see. Maybe he'll put a sneaky $10m bid in to St. Johnstone for Richard Foster's services,

This the guy who also sold Bolasie to palace!

I remember watching bolasie thinking wow this guy is really raw, he didn't know which way his feet were going but more importantly nor did the defenders! It was crying out to stick him on the left with Albert on the right but he wasn't given a run.

On 2017-5-25 at 17:09, tinman85 said:

To be fair the guy would have done better than LJ with resources 

We'll never know that one, he was a raw article himself at the time but I think as you  that he would have done a better job with our current crop of players.

Del had the tactical plans and what he wanted to do here. Was told to half the budget and must be looking at us now and wondering only if I was given the same resources. 
Also Del has gone on to manage in Europe and in Cup finals and now gets his chance at one of the biggest English clubs. 

Not too shabby.

Going against the grain with many, but I rate McInnes.

Iirc. SL said he was the hardest working manager he'd come across, accepted he'd taken over the club at a very difficult time, and regretted not supporting him more.

I look back to the superb thrashings of Cardiff and Palace as examples of what a McInnes team was capable of.

We then had that disastrous game at Peterborough where we lost 2 players through injury due to dreadful fouls, including Cunningham - in top form at the time - which meant having to make changes to try and replicate the dynamics of the winning team, which never really came off.

He inherited a squad with poisonous cliques in it, and was tasked with reducing the wage bill dramatically, all in all a tremendously difficult task for a young manager. Yes, I accept he made some poor signings, but let's face, all managers do.

Anyway, this post will be my only input to the thread. I'm not going to get into another long discussion about Del (particularly with  RedOxo, who I agree with on most matters BCFC ;)) but now he's earned another chance at Championship level, with 4 years more experience, then if he goes I fully expect him to do well.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Iirc. SL said he was the hardest working manager he'd come across, accepted he'd taken over the club at a very difficult time, and regretted not supporting him more.

I look back to the superb thrashings of Cardiff and Palace as examples of what a McInnes team was capable of.

We then had that disastrous game at Peterborough where we lost 2 players through injury due to dreadful fouls, including Cunningham - in top form at the time - which meant having to make changes to try and replicate the dynamics of the winning team, which never really came off.

He inherited a squad with poisonous cliques in it, and was tasked with reducing the wage bill dramatically, all in all a tremendously difficult task for a young manager. Yes, I accept he made some poor signings, but let's face, all managers do.

Anyway, this post will be my only input to the thread. I'm not going to get into another long discussion about Del (particularly with  RedOxo, who I agree with on most matters BCFC ;)) but now he's earned another chance at Championship level, with 4 years more experience, then if he goes I fully expect him to do well.

I liked DM as well, and feel he could have taken us forward with more backing from the board.

However, I think he might be biting off more than he can chew with Sunderland at the moment.

12 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I liked DM as well, and feel he could have taken us forward with more backing from the board.

However, I think he might be biting off more than he can chew with Sunderland at the moment.

His problem was his over reliance on players who serially let him down, he needed to ship these players out at the end of his first season instead he just went on and on relying on them and they went on and on letting him down and it took until the 2-0 FA cup defeat at Blackburn in January 2013 to realise what most people could see.

Sadly then we ended up with the old SOD, to be honest I would have rather have been relegated under DMC.

I whole heartedly agree with the last sentence, not an easy job with an uninspiring seemingly unmotivated squad.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Absolutely, we were in a terrible, terrible state when he came in, with limited experience of the English game.  I can't help feel if he'd been a different nationality - continental Europe, say - he'd have been cut more slack.  Certainly brought more cohesion to the performances than those that had gone before.  And having to slash the wage bill whilst dealing with insane fan expectation...whereas at the Mackems, I doubt that their expectations will be anywhere north of zero.

But I wouldn't have gone near Sunderland job, even more of a mess than Villa.  Rotten squad, the few decent players almost running out of the door, the rest clinging on to insane contracts.  First job: sell Pickford, use proceeds to rebuild.  Ditch the dead wood.  He must be nuts.

11 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Good decision IMHO.

I agree. Sunderland are next year's basket case in waiting. I actually think they're in a worse mess than Villa were when they went down. I can see them really struggling in the Championship. 

Perhaps McInnes realises the extent of his abilities, and figures that staying in Scotland will be better for him in the long run. Where are Sun'lun gonna look now?

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/huge-blow-for-sunderland-as-derek-mcinnes-says-no-1-8598474

comments from the Mackems are interesting

Rumour I saw this week from a respected North East journalist was that Nigel Pearson was actually offered the job first and turned it down once he saw the transfer budget that he was being expected to work with.

Indeed there were stories that before he left that Moyes was told he wouldn't get any of the Pickford money to invest.

They look to be in real trouble, an owner who is looking to cut costs, 2 best players (Defoe, Pickford) already gone and a collection of foreign nobodies on presumably very big contracts.

Finishing second to Celtic every year suddenly seems quite appealing..

Probably realises how poor the Scots league is in comparison to the Championship, remembered how bad he was when he was here, then realised that Sunderland could be the next Bolton.

Probably a wise career choice from him to be fair.

15 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Curiously, with all of the vacancies that have / are around in the Championship no " up and coming young manager that is attracting attention from Premier League clubs" has been linked to them.................

They know that the promising young coach would cost too much and will probably wait until he's sacked or until we've won the Europa cup .

13 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Turned down Sunderland apparently. Not sure what to make of that.

Perhaps the Sunderland board explained their minimum expectations and their budget.

Also Aberdeen wanted £1,000,000 compensation for losing their manager.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Rumour I saw this week from a respected North East journalist was that Nigel Pearson was actually offered the job first and turned it down once he saw the transfer budget that he was being expected to work with.

Indeed there were stories that before he left that Moyes was told he wouldn't get any of the Pickford money to invest.

They look to be in real trouble, an owner who is looking to cut costs, 2 best players (Defoe, Pickford) already gone and a collection of foreign nobodies on presumably very big contracts.

Finishing second to Celtic every year suddenly seems quite appealing..

This is correct, certainly the Moyes stuff anyway. Not sure about Pearson but it wouldn't surprise me, because apparently Del was told exactly the same thing, i.e. that he'd have a minimal amount to spend and would have to save a fortune on wages. Promotion next season was considered unrealistic and they're just looking to tighten up the finances.

Archived