IGNORED

Non Threatening sounding ground names

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I never feared going to Gay Meadow,  Vicarage Rd or the Cottage but the Den and curiously Ayresome Park always filled me with a little apprehension just by their names .

Have you any to add to the list ? 

I know it's off season , let's try to keep OTIB going . 

^ Enjoys cottaging

Home Park is a bit wet but the locals were always animated.

I genuinely think Ashton Gate is one of the best names of any ground in England, in fact I can't think of a better one.

Whether an average rival fan would see the name as threatening is hard to say, but from what I've read it's widely thought of as a great name.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I genuinely think Ashton Gate is one of the best names of any ground in England, in fact I can't think of a better one.

Whether an average rival fan would see the name as threatening is hard to say, but from what I've read it's widely thought of as a great name.

The Lions 'Den' is the best one IMHO.

Working around the country as I do, conversations often lead to football and respective clubs. Our place certainly did have and still does have a reputation for being one of the nicest cities but one of the most unwelcoming grounds.Even some of the big boys think our place can be 'a bit lairy' as one of my London customers put it.

Personally and happily, I don't think the Gate is a bad place to visit nowadays but, then again, I'm a home fan so don't really see what it's like for an away supporter.

The New York stadium is a crap name IMHO and I always used to smile at Cuckoo Lane at the old Oxford ground but that was anything but friendly back in the day. 

Love the fact that our ground is the only one with the word Gate in its name.

Love the fact Aderdeen's Pittodrie Stadium translates as 'Place of Shit' in Gaelic.

Think Villa Park and the City Ground could have been more imaginatively named.

Don't know how a club menacingly nicknamed the Blades can have a ground that sounds like it's named after a rural cul de sac in Somerset.

Got fed up of trying to differentiate between Brunton Park, Burnden Park and Blundell Park - blame the merlot...

Hate how I can't buy the best food blender because it's made by Wolves' stadium...

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The Hawthorns makes me think of the old folks home in Clevedon 

My grandmother lived there for a few years, Clevedon that is, not West Bom,  her dad was an Albion fan and I'm sure the name tipped the balance when she was looking at places. 

Archived