IGNORED

LJ on Subs Bench

Some interesting snippets last night. 

Hegeler sees himself as a City CB. LJ did not seem to disagree. At 6'4" not as dominant as Flint but better on ball. 

Hegeler could play as the left side of two, or in a three, but we won't be playing a three much next season. 

Vyner, Moore and Magnusson all very much in the mix for CB berths (as well as FB berths presumably). 

On Flint non-commital, but hinted he wouldn't expect him to leave unless to a Prem side. 

Elsewhere, he really rates Djuric and he expects a big season from him. Need to get wingers to feed him more in box. 

Got the impression that Giefer might have been offered something but for his kicking. His long injury lay-off in Germany due to his ripping his calf almost in half making long accurate kicks almost impossible. 

27 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Sorry, not local: is that a radio show?!?!?

It's a local TV show that looks as though it has been produced by a geek in his bedroom. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It's a local TV show that looks as though it has been produced by a geek in his bedroom. 

It's the Made in Bristol channel on 117 if you have a Sky box.

Unforunately it's not made in HD but then nor is the local BBC news. I don't why that is but I guess it's a financial issue.

Im fairly sure NTTDS would know why!

Those comments on Hegeler from him are certainly interesting.

Problem is I can't see him getting in the side there, Wright and Hegeler doesn't exactly seem a likely CB pairing if Flint was sold, plus this would mean Mgnusson couldn't get in the side then, either...

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unforunately it's not made in HD but then nor is the local BBC news. I don't why that is but I guess it's a financial issue.

It's still only locally broadcast isn't it? I think that particular channel will be 'made in Manchester in the north west for instance. I think these channels came in to existence because of something political, like Ofcom dedicating radio waves to local stations to bring back 'the community'. 

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I believe the lack of HD on local news is because the HD signal is national and therefore can't be regionalised, hence the switch to SD.

I may well be talking out of my backside so happy to be corrected.

Just now, 29AR said:

It's still only locally broadcast isn't it? I think that particular channel will be 'made in Manchester in the north west for instance. I think these channels came in to existence because of something political, like Ofcom dedicating radio waves to local stations to bring back 'the community'. 

Ah I wasn't talking utter balls then, first time for everything!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Bandwidth. Every local channel would need an HD satellite feed and there isn't room. BBC won't allow different resolution on different formats (satellite, freeview etc) so they use the lowest across all. 

There are a few other reasons not worth going into. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Problem is I can't see him getting in the side there, Wright and Hegeler doesn't exactly seem a likely CB pairing if Flint was sold, plus this would mean Mgnusson couldn't get in the side then, either...

Why don't you think Wright/Hegeler would work? 

4 hours ago, cynic said:

If/when Flint leaves....

Hegeler and Magnusson at CB could be a classy combination - but Mags needs to toughen up a bit imo.

Wright is a typical championship CB, no nonsense and not afraid to get stuck in. If Magnusson could get some of Wrights aggression into his game he would be outstanding.

We also have Taylor Moore and Vyner to come through as potential CBs..

Its a big pre-season for a lot of players and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think you need that mix. If flint goes hegeler and wright would be a decent combo, wright as first ball winner and hegeler more of a sweeper / covering centre half. Don't think hegeler and mags would work , too similar in style . 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Thanks for "subs' bench" heads up. No Sky and I'm in Bucks!

it's on Freeview and it may be possible to see certain things via their Facebook page. I happened to catch the end of the interview this morning, I think the chap who does it is quite good - direct with his questioning - he did a good interview with LJ a couple of months ago. 

It's a low tech programme but still quite interesting, covered some cricket, boxing and FGR today, as well as City and Rovers.

https://www.facebook.com/SubsBenchBristol/

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

8 hours ago, cynic said:

If/when Flint leaves....

Hegeler and Magnusson at CB could be a classy combination - but Mags needs to toughen up a bit imo.

Wright is a typical championship CB, no nonsense and not afraid to get stuck in. If Magnusson could get some of Wrights aggression into his game he would be outstanding.

We also have Taylor Moore and Vyner to come through as potential CBs..

Its a big pre-season for a lot of players and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Interesting views on Hegeler.

I thought Hegeler looked excellent in the games he played as a RCB, and I'm a long believer that some partnerships work and some don't, no matter what might seem a perfect mix on paper.

I look back at Hansen and Lawrenson - neither was a natural ball winner, when you were expected to play at least one ball winner in those days.  But they were a great partnership.  Both became shit pundits though over time!

Pallister and Bruce too, just because Pallister was 6'4", didn't make him the typical CH, and Bruce wasn't blessed with pace.

A more extreme example, Pearce and Keogh at Derby.  Both know how to defend but as an opposition manager you;d think to could expose them down the sides, or by coming short and one spinning in behind, but they were a top half Champ pairing.

Personally I don't Flint and Wright are an ideal combo.

I didn't see Subs Bench, but I can see Flint off.

That leaves us Wright, Hegeler (who I thought might've been off), Magnússon, Moore and Vyner.  I think we could find a pairing out of those 5.

Won't quote you Dave, but here are my views:

Flint/Wright worked well for us because Aden is obviously aerially dominant whereas Bailey is savvy and sensibly physical, getting his body in the way of attackers (and attacks) on numerous occasions. We definitely improved defensively overall with this pairing.

Like you I also expect Flint to go, but unlike you cannot see a good enough pairing from what we will have left.

If I really had to choose I'd go with Magnusson to partner Wright because having a natural left footer in the side would allow the Aussie to move across to his natural right hand side, though I don't think either of them are good enough in the air to be the first ball winner & I'm pretty sure that wasn't ever Wright's role at Preston...

I just cannot see Hegeler playing in the middle of a conventional back four, again I feel he is not good enough in the air, with not enough pace or aggression. In a three he could get away with it, playing as the spare man and using the ball constructively from the back, though apparently this formation is currently ruled out...

I see Vyner solely as a RB, Moore had a great game against Hull in the middle but seems to need to get stronger physically, his weak challenge at Ipswich for Pitman's winner was the catalyst for his spell at Bury, where he was deployed always at RB.

Those two should certainly be squad players next year, competing with whoever we bring in at RB, plus Moore should be available as central defence back up.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Bit like Bob Marley then, near Wycombe no sky. 

I think there needs to be a separate section during the close season for the best worst jokes (If such a thing is possible).  We need something to keep us amused when not much is happening. 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think there needs to be a separate section during the close season for the best worst jokes (If such a thing is possible).  We need something to keep us amused when not much is happening. 

Worst??

Yeah sorry about that!

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Won't quote you Dave, but here are my views:

Flint/Wright worked well for us because Aden is obviously aerially dominant whereas Bailey is savvy and sensibly physical, getting his body in the way of attackers (and attacks) on numerous occasions. We definitely improved defensively overall with this pairing.

Yes, totally agree.  I too like the way Bailey was clever with a body and his physicality.  My 'not an ideal combo' is probably based on neither being blessed with pace, which I think is something that would help the overall team press up the pitch.

Like you I also expect Flint to go, but unlike you cannot see a good enough pairing from what we will have left.

It doesn't jump out at you I agree.

If I really had to choose I'd go with Magnusson to partner Wright because having a natural left footer in the side would allow the Aussie to move across to his natural right hand side, though I don't think either of them are good enough in the air to be the first ball winner & I'm pretty sure that wasn't ever Wright's role at Preston...

Me too without training ground evidence of other combos.  I certainly would like to see Wright on the right of a too...it really stifles us playing out from the back.  You'll know I'm not obsessed with having a right foot / left foot pairing, Flint and Wright prove this defensively.  Also, I don't subscribe to the necessity of someone who wins it all in the air, but if you don't you need clever players who anticipate the flicks and movements off of it.  I think if you told Bailey to go and attack the ball in the air, you'd find he is proficient enough.

I just cannot see Hegeler playing in the middle of a conventional back four, again I feel he is not good enough in the air, with not enough pace or aggression. In a three he could get away with it, playing as the spare man and using the ball constructively from the back, though apparently this formation is currently ruled out...

I certainly see why you'd say that, and I'd worry too to some extent....although I'd hope his brain was good enough to adjust.  We've only seen him play RCB in a three, and you have to play the two very different.  Time will tell.

I see Vyner solely as a RB, Moore had a great game against Hull in the middle but seems to need to get stronger physically, his weak challenge at Ipswich for Pitman's winner was the catalyst for his spell at Bury, where he was deployed always at RB.

Vyner at RB yes.  I wonder whether TM too whilst he develops physically.  Moore has pace though, something we lack across the squad.  Re the Pitman winner, I think a lot of criticism stemmed from Johnson's comments.  I think it was harsh.  As an ex-CB (obviously not Pro), with a ball coming across the box to a striker like Pitman, you'd worry about him getting across you in front and toeing one in (think Tammy re Huddersfield at home), so I thought Moore got himself in decent position.  The cross however was behind Pitman, who (I agree) was strong enough to not allow Moore to adapt his position.  But let's not forget it was a wonderful finish.  Could've gone anywhere...although quite `like Pitman.

Those two should certainly be squad players next year, competing with whoever we bring in at RB, plus Moore should be available as central defence back up.

• I see it the same, with Moore getting Moore and Moore game time! :P

What about looking at the 3-4-3 formation that seems to be growing in popularity and to good effect by Chelsea?

back three of maggs, wright and hegs. Two ball playing cbs either side of a no nonsense one provides round pegs in round holes.

like Chelsea, we would need reliable, energetic wing backs playing in a 4 man midfield (Bryan on left and my hope is alexander-Arnold on the right) with a solid central midfield. One man to break up play, Korey smith doing the Kante role and pack or brownhill providing the range of passing.

a front man of djuric with two busy forwards/wide men either side would be effective. Taylor and o'dowda either side for example.

wouldnt be a bad lineup imo

1 minute ago, ciderbeans said:

What about looking at the 3-4-3 formation that seems to be growing in popularity and to good effect by Chelsea?

back three of maggs, wright and hegs. Two ball playing cbs either side of a no nonsense one provides round pegs in round holes.

like Chelsea, we would need reliable, energetic wing backs playing in a 4 man midfield (Bryan on left and my hope is alexander-Arnold on the right) with a solid central midfield. One man to break up play, Korey smith doing the Kante role and pack or brownhill providing the range of passing.

a front man of djuric with two busy forwards/wide men either side would be effective. Taylor and o'dowda either side for example.

wouldnt be a bad lineup imo

Yep, gotta love a back 3. Reckon we could win a title with that. 

Just now, glynriley said:

Yep, gotta love a back 3. Reckon we could win a title with that. 

Any manager has to have the players capable of playing in a back three and I'm not convinced it's that successful as a formation either.

I'm a 4-4-2 man.

Archived